Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-10-2014, 12:33   #16

Boat: Various
Re: Wintering-Over in NY State

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
We stored the boat at Winter Harbor yard in Brewerton, NY. Indoor heated storage was expensive, but cheaper and easier than trying to winterize a Florida boat. Like most people, we got the hell out of there between October and May.
I like the idea of indoor heated storage.

Old 11-10-2014, 18:15   #17

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I like the idea of indoor heated storage.

It's expensive. You pay by the square ft. In this area a 42' sailboat will pay between $4-5000. It would be nice but I can use that cash elsewhere.

SC

Old 11-10-2014, 20:36   #18

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser View Post
It's expensive. You pay by the square ft. In this area a 42' sailboat will pay between $4-5000. It would be nice but I can use that cash elsewhere.

SC
By the time you add up yard storage, winterizing everything, restoring in the spring, shrink wrap if you use it, the overall damage to the interior of the boat (if shrink wrapped through humidity and mildew), it's not all that much more.

Now I prefer to stay where it's warm and not an issue. And if north and at all possible I'd keep it in the water, but that's just me. Of course I'll then spend far more during the winter than the indoor storage as I'd spend on dock, fuel, oil, maintenance, and all the other things associated with use. Only real way to save is not buying a boat to start with.
Old 11-10-2014, 22:23   #19

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Seem's to me if yall would like to liveaboard where it's gonna get REAL COLD ! Yall better be spending the money it's gonna take to make her warmer ! Insulation, heating systems that will keep her warm in real cold ! We have spent a few winters aboard in Alaska and Coastal Canada. And with proper preparation of the boat for the cold and an good heating system, that's not only able to run when theres shore power! Is what you need to be comfortable to live ! Not just sleep, lol with enough wool blankets you can sleep most anywhere! but to LIVE from day to day you need some area you don't need to wear heavy gear !! We used diesel heat with water coils to supply hot water to space heaters thru out the boat ! a little expensive to start but system is still running after 15 yrs with little maintainice ! Theres comfort ! Then theirs COMFORT !! You must check your comfort level, and go from there! The more comfort the more beginning cost !
Old 16-10-2014, 11:31   #20

Send a message via Skype™ to LessTacksing

Why even winter over in NY? If you sail up the ICW starting in the spring you should be able to make it through the canals before they close for the fall (lovely foliage on a dead calm river/canal) and head back south again. Last year we had (seems like) a ton of snow up here and the cold was enough that I had to keep my truck plugged in. I am looking forward to eventually doing the Great Loop then heading south.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: