Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-11-2014, 14:30   #16

Boat: Great Barrier 48
Re: Wintering in Spain or Portugal. Recommendations please.

Bit late now but I'm in Bruce's Yard in Faro. Good community and free to work on own boat with local suppliers or just a train ride and being over 65 I get half fair ( which is already cheap) by showing my passport. Lagos has good marina but pricey in summer.
You could also look at La Linea next to Gibraltar. I think boat yard there too but not sure about DIY.
And Smir in Morocco. Cheap yard apparently

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

PappiRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 12:25   #17

Boat: Beneteau 47.7

This feed is very interesting for me as we are looking to move in the next month from Gibraltar somewhere up the coast of spain (med side).
Currently I have two options
Benalmadena - seems to have had some issues around 2010 with mooring lines being in bad condition etc.. we have a 14.5M boat and we want to be snug with minimal swell as we wont be on the boat and back in the UK where I will worry that the boat is safe -
The other option which means a little further to sail next month will be ALMERIMAR which looks sheltered and has good haul out facilities. they have quoted a very cheap mooring option for Winter!
Really need some advice
We don't have a huge amount of time to sail north Ie to Categena so Almerimar would be the furthest we would like to go!
Help would be appreciated
Many thanks

Tomtom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 16:54   #18

Boat: still looking for the right Tri

If you like it "more natural", the bay of Alvor is good... a natural harbour, it is very protected and safe, you can lay on mooring (I suppose a 9 year old boy easily can cruise to land with Dinghi to get in touch with playmates)... and in the area around you can get not too expensivly suppliers.

... and it is not too overcrowded by tourists, which is normally very typically for Algarve (Southern coast) of Portugal.

You can have nice excursions in the closer surrounding, and next bigger city Lagos is just 20 km by car (dirct distance 8 km)... and next airport is Faro (only 50 minutes by car / 75 km)

... and round the corner is the Marina Portimao with a boat yard for some bigger repairs.

Skip JayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:50   #19
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Good post. Yep alvor is nice ..

monte is offline   Reply With Quote

lease, men, Portugal, Spain

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: