Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2015, 10:52   #16

Location: Most of my life has been in coastal Maine, recently relocated to Tampa Bay area
Boat: Cy Hamlin/Joel White wood Yawl, 1968, 32', "Dulcibella"
Re: Winter liveaboard options for the average guy

A little hardball here. I echo some other comments. If you aren't confident operating this boat now, what makes you think a little geographic change will be a solution. Aside from all the mechanical systems that demand your knowledge and money-less knowledge=more money, but that is a big boat and there is weather everywhere, so I recommend putting your dreams aside a little and work hard at developing solid seamanship skills, or else you'll be the fool we all laugh at, at best, and, at worst, you could get somebody killed-really. Google oyster bay, NY july 4th capsize disaster
mainesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:13   #17

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradyho View Post
I live aboard a 32 foot sailboat off the ICW in South Carolina at a small marina with T docks. It does drop below freezing sometimes in February, but no sub zero weather. Free amenities are electricity and pump out, no wifi or cable. There's probably around 50 slips total with less than 15 slips occupied, I am the only live aboard at the marina. Guarded gate to get in, very secure, very safe and super quiet. I pay 125 bucks a month. Small problem with 'gators at night, but no big deal for an old man raised in the South, LOL.
Maybe you could go up and give the guy a hand. If you are free to do so. Driving a bloody power boat isn't rocket science. And you could give them some pointers.My father and brother took my 34' power boat through the canals and rivers from Holland to the Mediterranean and neither had ever been on a boat before.
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:15   #18

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul View Post
Quit digging the hole deeper. Someone might want to use it for a floating condo close to where it is located, such as in a slip behind a home/condo they own etc- sell it to them and start over.
Financially speaking, that makes sense. Money spent moving the boat by truck is just lost money. Sell the boat where she lies, and buy a similar boat at the location you want (or at least a lot closer). Theoretically this should work. In reality, impossible.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:32   #19

Boat: 32 Rival

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreiter190 View Post
Maybe you could go up and give the guy a hand. If you are free to do so. Driving a bloody power boat isn't rocket science. And you could give them some pointers.My father and brother took my 34' power boat through the canals and rivers from Holland to the Mediterranean and neither had ever been on a boat before.
Geeeze, you're asking a lot. I brought a Searay 33 with twin 454's up the ICW from Strart Florida to Pawleys Island, SC. It made me hate power boats even more. Just get the boat in the ICW and stay between the banks, watch your charts and read your ICW Guide, the Guide will pretty much give you all the information you need to plan where you're going to spend the night. Worst comes to worst, get out of the channel and drop anchor, start again in the morning. If I can help, let me know.
gradyho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:36   #20

Boat: Silverton 362 LS

I am that "Average Guy". Paid $1800 for a 2356 Carver to be a "Looper" and go South. $5800 for Volvo outdrive, $3000 for engine. Everything was perfect. Made it from Pickwick to Columbus MS. Use your boat next year for a few overnight trips and see how she does. It may not be what you want. My Carver is on the hard now but it's not for sale. 11K invested but worth 3K. Hey, it's a boat
SSGChuck62b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:00   #21

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradyho View Post
Geeeze, you're asking a lot. I brought a Searay 33 with twin 454's up the ICW from Strart Florida to Pawleys Island, SC. It made me hate power boats even more. Just get the boat in the ICW and stay between the banks, watch your charts and read your ICW Guide, the Guide will pretty much give you all the information you need to plan where you're going to spend the night. Worst comes to worst, get out of the channel and drop anchor, start again in the morning. If I can help, let me know.
I want asking you to do it, just thought you might be up for it. The support you've shown helps the guy enough. I can't do it. In earlier years I would have. Used to drive 60' stink pots from Bertram's in Miami to Chicago. My next boat will be a trawler. Everyone a assumes this Hat is trashed because he got it cheap. Maybe he got it in an estate sale from a widow.I'm thinking it's got gas engines, like straight eight Chryslers. They don't bring a lot of money if they are from the early 60's . Doesn't mean they aren't good boats. One went for $2500 in Ft. Pierce just last year, guy went into a nursing home, daughter gave it away.
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:34   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreiter190 View Post
........................ For 3K, what have you got to lose? You can always abandon it and slink home. I'm betting you make it.
This thought that boats can be casually abandoned without responsibility for their removal from the waterways has been a great cause of controversy. The great number of abandoned derelicts in Florida waters has been one of the arguments against the freedoms of anchoring and living aboard freely.

Most of us that spend our lives on the water are strongly opposed to people littering by just the tossing of a can or bottle in the water. How can we justify abandoning a boat?
Old 04-10-2015, 12:49   #23

If you're on Lake Erie, there is no big water between you and New York city, just take the Erie canal to bipass lake Ontario. Then you have a day or so of open water until you reach the ICW. If you left now, you could be easily south of New York city by the end of October.

If its the boat handling that worries you, nothing teaches you how to drive a boat like canaling in October. By NYC, you'll be a whizz.

If the boat isn't sound and ready, then don't go anywhere. Either fix it up, or trade it in for something in better condition.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 13:34   #24

Boat: Cape Dory 28

$10 we never hear from OP again
northoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 14:05   #25

Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.

Here here ! Some people just have a "disposable" attitude toward everything !

Sent from my SM-N910T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
susanna reiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 14:14   #26

Boat: 32 Rival

As the Lone Ranger said, "back to the ranch". If you know where you want to go, fly someone up from there to help you bring the boat down, or get someone there to help you and fly them back. All assuming the boat is sea worthy. You've had a lot of good advice from the left side of the aisle, same can be said for the right. OK, mountainman, watcha' gonna' do?
gradyho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 14:34   #27

Also, I'm a little unclear what your question is. I think you're asking if there's a live aboard marina in your area. If you are, then there are several on lake Ontario in Canada that I'm sure would welcome an american for the winter. Might be fun.

Really though, it sounds like you got your rear end handed to you by a Lake Erie gale, don't worry about that, it happens to all of us. If it was that Easterly yesterday your lucky you survived in a 38' power boat. And if I am correct in my assumptions, if youre on lake Erie, the tough going is behind you. Just wait for a weather window, and put the hammer down for Buffalo, the great lakes will be nothing but a bad memory and you'll be enjoying your self in 100' wide, nice safe canals.

FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 16:28   #28

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
Also, I'm a little unclear what your question is. I think you're asking if there's a live aboard marina in your area. If you are, then there are several on lake Ontario in Canada that I'm sure would welcome an american for the winter. Might be fun.

Really though, it sounds like you got your rear end handed to you by a Lake Erie gale, don't worry about that, it happens to all of us. If it was that Easterly yesterday your lucky you survived in a 38' power boat. And if I am correct in my assumptions, if youre on lake Erie, the tough going is behind you. Just wait for a weather window, and put the hammer down for Buffalo, the great lakes will be nothing but a bad memory and you'll be enjoying your self in 100' wide, nice safe canals.

Don't think you understood the OP at all. He is just asking for info on dockage in the South. He does not say anything about being caught in a gale. He does reveal that he has little boating experience. And he has gotten plenty of advice on that.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 16:28   #29

Thnx alot for the welcomes, and all the advice. So, I guess Ive got to clarify a few items. The boat is gr8, solid bones, twin 427 fords that run gr8, and have 1200 and 1400hrs. The paragon trans shift smoothly, and despite a small seal leak (out of boat and at shop now), they seem fine. Electronics were stolen, I did buy a new Hummingbird matrix 5, but need to install the transducer, and dont know anything about it, as I havent had the boat out yet (figured Id do this once I got her south). Why it was only $3000 is beyond me, there were 100s of ppl watching it, all had the same opportunity as me, but waited too long to pull the trigger. I really want to be on a river south, like the tentom, but am having a problem finding the right marina, seems many require a reservation, without even knowing the cost before making a res. I am seeking the names of marinas that an average guy can afford, we dont golf, arent used to being pampered, and so our expectations arent very high, lol. We would love to run this the opposite way ppl have suggested, going around Michigan, thru chicago, and down the miss. I hadnt even considered the other way, mainly because we prefer fresh water to salt. Ive been operating boats up to 28' for over 20yrs, on IllinoisR, mississippiR, Lake Geneva, and foxR and The Chain O Lakes, which is an absolute madhouse all summer long, so I have reasonable skills to operate this craft, but will admit when Im a lil out of my realm. Ive heard twin screws makes the world of difference for navigating and docking, and am anxious to try it out, as I hated docking the 28' with single bb, especially on windy days. I expect this will cost about 10gs to ship (including flybridge issue), and NEED a destination that I can tell the trucker to take it. A place with shore power, water, pump out, and wifi would be nice, but not necessary. We plan to run up and down the river for the 1st year or so, and then try ICW once we're 100% the vessel is up to it. The boat has been a boataminium for a long time, and I know very little about it, other than it floats, has been run from the lift to the pier in spring, and from pier to lift in fall. It has been winterized and stored indoors every year, according to the marina manager, whos seen the boat there for almost 30yrs. We're amazed I found this, as we've been looking at crafts for 3yrs, and were even skeptical, because of the price, but we drove the 13hrs to go see it, and EVERYONE feels I stole the thing. The gentleman that had it said hed gotten his money out of it, and just didnt want to pay the $5000+yr for another season. I really appreciate the advice ive gotten, but REALLY NEED a destination to tell the trucker, so I can get this shipped by Nov1st, and get a chance to enjoy her this winter. We arent looking to buy a slip, as we plan to move this all over, but would consider it if price was right, just to leave during the summer. We have obligations during the summer that wont allow for us to spend much time on her until after Dec1st, so we need a place that allows liveaboard, open all yr, has necessities, without breaking the wallet. Probably a pipe dream, but the feel only dumb question is the one not asked. Thnx again all, Rob
wildmountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 16:45   #30

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

OK, this is a perfect thread for all of you naysayers who are always saying it ''can't be done'', ''boat is not good at that price'', ''too much work'' ''not enough experience'', ad nausim.
To the original poster, All right, I'll do it for you. Tell me what area you want to be in I will find a place for you. Just takes a little keyboard work. And by the way, those 2 Ford 427 engines in that boat have a street value of about $10,000, as is. You made a hell of a deal.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard