Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2011, 10:17   #1

Boat: 1970 Hughes 29
Question Winter Liveaboard - Kingston, Ontario

Hello everyone

I am thinking of living aboard year round and preferably in Kingston
Ont. I was wondering if any of you or know someone that has or does live
aboard in Kingston all year round?

Furface
Furface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 21:19   #2

I have friends livingaboard in kingston...they have for 17 years...and if I had the tiniest of sedentary gene in me , id go and live there too.
it is well placed with all comoditys at hand...trouly a nice place to live.

go and see for your self and meet the liveboards...I did and they invited me onboard and treated me like family...at the time I was flatt broke and like cajun peoples they made me feel at home regardless...because of them «i have a strong opinion of the livaboard lifestyle.

cheers
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 21:24   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
I saw that it was -25C there a couple of nights ago. Hardy liveaboards!

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 21:38   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Ouch, I don't know how they would keep the ice from crushing the boat and boy that boat had better be well insulated with a good and reliable diesel heater with backup shore power heaters.

Furface, if you follow jobi's advice and go visit, please let us know what you find and especially, how they do it.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 03:43   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Ouch, I don't know how they would keep the ice from crushing the boat and boy that boat had better be well insulated with a good and reliable diesel heater with backup shore power heaters.

Furface, if you follow jobi's advice and go visit, please let us know what you find and especially, how they do it.
the marina has a small erea for the winter livaboards with bublers under every boats...this keeps the ice from forming around the hull...boats have no special insulation other the sheet foam under the Vbert and seetes...most guys have 2 or 3 electric heaters...because of the power drain the marina has only limited space for livaboards.
Old 21-01-2011, 04:23   #6

Boat: Cheoy Lee Clipper 42
I was a semi-liveaboard in Pickering-Ontario for a couple of years, luckily in mild winters compared to some I have seen up here.
Bubblers under the boat keep ice back off the hull, I personally ran thin foam sheet over the sole and berths plus added lots of rugs and electric blankets, quite cosy really. I only had a basic frame and cover on the boat but some of the experienced guys had quite elaborate frames over the decks with doors etc. A couple had fully covered decks with heaters and dining tables all set up to get a bit more living and entertainin space i guess. I was back and forth at the time so wasn't 24/7 there and had choices of accomodation, so had options, but I enjoyed it and had a lot of respect for those that have taken it up permanently.
A big thing to watch for was build up of carbon monoxide under those plastic covers so venting and clean heat was important. This happened at the same time I was in my liveaboard testing mode ... The Liveaboard Life - Carbon monoxide
ChrisClipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 06:07   #7

Hi Jobi
If these people don't mind you giving out their names and the name of their
boat, i would very much like to meet them. I was in Kingston last week when
i noticed there were live aboards staying there, i was brobably very close to
them.

Furface
Old 21-01-2011, 06:14   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post

Hello DeepFrz

I will share what info I can get.
Have you bought a boat yet? Do you plan to sail the Great Lakes?

Furface
Old 21-01-2011, 07:19   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Thanks for the info guys. Brave souls I must say. Thanks for your first hand experience Chris, I wouldn't have thought it possible when the temps. hit -28 c.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 08:17   #10
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Actually, deepfrz, there are quite a few year-round liveaboards on Lake Ontario with a rather large community at Port Credit, near Toronto. As already mention, the marinas use bubblers to keep the water from freezing and most boats construct a temporary frame and plastic 'greenhouse' to cover the deck. The difficulty, of course, apart from cold and damp is that one is required to use the shower facilities at the marina and filling water tanks can be a real problem. Certainly, its not for everyone.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 08:17   #11

Hello Hummingway
Those temps aren't bad if you have a little heat and stay out of the wind.
A box of beer and a radio will help to ignore it as well.

Furface
Old 21-01-2011, 13:10   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furface View Post
Hi Jobi
If these people don't mind you giving out their names and the name of their
boat, i would very much like to meet them. I was in Kingston last week when
i noticed there were live aboards staying there, i was brobably very close to
them.

Furface
all good peoples knock on any boat and they will be happy to talk with you...if they dont have time will point you in the right direction.

tho I am sure they wouldent mind, id rater not mention any names on public forums, its a metter of respect.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:05   #13

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
Ok I live aboard in Kingston Ontario. The ice in the harbour is not crushing anyones boat not even those without bubblers ( more properly called agitators). We provide our own agitators not the marina. Most of us run electric heaters although not all, we have a deisel for back up, and our oven does a good job too if need be. In the eight years we have been doing this ( not all of it in Kingston) we have never suffered a power outage. We build a little *house* over the cockpit, add extra insulation to the appropriate places apply heat and there we are. Frankly I lived a few year in an old farmhouse which was far colder.
It was -28C recently, my biggest complaint was having to go out to work. I would rather have stayed in, that would not have different in a house. One needs to arrange the slip well in advance as space is often limited here...there is a surprising number of marinas with winter live aboards in Ontario.
check us out. you could always pm if you wanted a visit.
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 20:32   #14

Boat: TBD
Re: Winter Liveaboard - Kingston, Ontario

Hello all,

I'm wondering about year round live aboard marinas in Kingston. While my wife and I currently don't live aboard we is has been our itch for some time now. We have been researching and reading what we can to fully ready ourselves for the lifestyle, our goal is within the next year to two years to be live aboards.

Currently we're in Toronto but a job possibility has come up in Kingston and if things go right (who knows!) there is the possibility that we'd could be heading there. I could not find anything about year round slips in Kingston but low and behold here is a thread about just that. The City of Kingston website doesn't give any information about year round slips at either the Portsmouth or Confederation Basin, though that's not a huge surprise and not totally unexpected, so I was wondering which marinas allow year round live aboard and what kind of waiting list is there? Any information would be excellent!

Thanks!
wcs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 19:23   #15

Re: Winter Liveaboard - Kingston, Ontario

Hello everyone. I had the same question does anyone know a marina in the Kingston, Ontario area that has year round slips we are hoping to liveaboard by this summer and would like to know where to start...
jenweese is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, ontario