Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 12:36   #1

Wife Hates Bugs !

My wife and I are working towards becoming liveaboards. We’ve made a plan and everything is working towards our goal; however, my wife is phobic about bugs, particularly cockroaches. She’s read that roaches can be a problem on some boats. I imagine this has to do with how you’re living, where you’re located and if the boat sits empty for long periods - just like a house.

To be fair to my wife, she’s one of the toughest people I know. If we came onboard to find ninjas or rattlesnakes, she’d be fine. Heaven forbid she sees a roach.

We’ll be in a marina in Kemah, TX. What's your experience been?
Clinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 13:29   #2

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon
Re: Wife hates bugs!

Read through this thread and you will pick up some ideas of how to get roaches aboard and then how to get rid of them.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...oat-83371.html
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 13:30   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Keep a clean boat and you should have no bug problem. This includes not bringing cardboard boxes aboard from unknown locales. We've had maybe 3-4 roaches i'm aware of on as many years. We have had spiders, but that was from hitting a tree.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 13:36   #4
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

Stuff happens, so it would be really useful if your wife could get over any irrational fears. All the above tips are great. A lot depends on where you cruise and if you have a wet or dry bilge. Probably the best tip is to treat the boat before you move on board, when all lockers, nooks and crannies are clean and empty.
Old 12-06-2012, 13:53   #5

The link to the other thread was great. Thanks for the heads up.
Clinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 14:19   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

spray works.

welcome.

i dont much like bugs, either.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 14:29   #7

The big-box hardware stores sell "Home-Defense" sprays that pretty much immobilizes "la cucarachas" among other unwelcome tiny critters. Port and hatch screens are a physical deterrent for the bitey bugs. Its relatively easy to eradicate the pesty ones.
Noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 15:27   #8

Boat: Tartan 30

I really love my bugbuster companionway screen. The great thing about it is you don't ever have to remove it. Just push it aside to get in or out of the companionway, and slide it back in place. The mozzies hate me. They spend all day hovering about but never make it inside the boat

As for roaches, they don't care whether it's a boat or a house. If you can keep your house roach free, you can do it on the boat just as well. Probably even easier on a boat, since it's not on land 'n stuff... Just keep it clean.

The main problem comes with travelling. You don't know if the grocery you just shopped at had roaches or not. Chances are they did... That's where the whole cardboard box thing comes into play. Great places for them to hide and procreate. If you're on the move, just remove boxed stuff before it gets on the boat and toss the boxes. If you're tied to a marina that has roaches, spread some borax around the dock cleats
Old 12-06-2012, 16:51   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

I think I posted this in the other thread. But, my wife is the same way.

I'm now going to reach over and knock on some wood ("touch wood" for you non-Americans). We've used "Roach Pruf" for years (boric acid), and we've NEVER had a roach on the boat. 1 year in Kemah, 4 years in Corpus Christi/Port Aransas. She re-applies it about every 2 years in all of the hull spaces.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 17:01   #10

in 3 years in Fl and Carribean, we got a cockroach infestation toward the end. Well... at least one of them anyway. Wouldnt know he was there except I'd sem him flash across the galley counter out of the corner of my eye. Be carefull and you will have far less bug problems on a boat than a house that's for sure!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 17:01   #11

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

I spent many years working as a hypnotherapist.
I loved phobias, as people are so inventive in the way they construct them.
In many cases it is a simple matter to resolve a phobia using hypnosis, as phobics are usually excellent subjects.
Your therapist may use systematic desensitisation coupled with imagery, regression (my favourite and quickest method) or flooding.
Just make sure you find an appropriately qualified and well regarded therapist and you should be very happy with the results.

Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 21:40   #12

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boden36 View Post
Just make sure you find an appropriately qualified and well regarded therapist and you should be very happy with the results.
Love the bugs?
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 23:29   #13

Boat: Beneteau First 42

I guess it depends where you are. I've been living aboard for two years and have never had a bug on the boat, aside from a few gnats temporarily living in my mint plant that were swiftly dispatched.
Old 13-06-2012, 02:33   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

I've noticed that slips co-located with a restaurant have more incidence of the little devils. I like these to fog the boat once a month.
Old 13-06-2012, 03:31   #15

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Now in our 7th year of full-time cruising (mostly in the tropics where bugs are prevalent), and the only time we have seen a cockroach on our boat was one night in Antigua when a huge one flew in the open companionway. Squashed that sucker in less than a heartbeat.

As others have pointed out, bring no cardboard aboard or paper grocery sacks. We remove all paper commercial packaging (like breakfast cereal boxes) or anything that might contain glue which harbors roach eggs. Wash all fruits and veggies before bringing aboard or at least submerge them briefly into a bucket of fresh water on the stern as you unload the dinghy when at anchor. You would be surprised at how many bugs find their way into your boat (or home) on produce -- even produce from large supermarkets.

If you pick up books at popular exchanges where cruisers congregate, best to spray each well with roach spray and let dry in the sun for a few days before bringing inside your boat.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote