Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2019, 10:19   #16

Re: Wife and I want a life on a boat - how can we do this fairly efficient

Given that a Nordhavn 56M has a "laid down" price in Canada equivalent to TWO luxury condos in Toronto or Vancouver, one must assume that Category4 speaks tongue-in-cheek.

Nevertheless the point is made that a motor-sailer or a pilot-house sailboat may well be the most efficacious choice for Grayson, given what he has in mind and given our climate on this coast.

How to live "efficiently" aboard is not a question that can be answered by any one of us since "efficient" is not defined, and since we have no clue about Grayson's lifestyle.

There are other aspects of Grayson's request to us that need illumination: One is that living in Nanaimo for some time does not a sailor make. Another is that being comfortable camping on Terra Firma is not a reliable indicator to whether a person will be "comfortable" aboard a vessel underway. The cramped space, the cold and the wet is not what has "gotten" the majority of women I've had aboard over the last half century. It's the heeling and the constant rolling. It induces fear even when conditions are quite moderate.

In consequence, Grayson should probably give his wife a chance to prove conclusively that she'd be comfortable crossing Halibut Bank en route from West Vancouver to Nanaimo in a 40 knot nor-wester before he plonks down the bux for any kinda vessel.

And Grayson - that being said, please know that as a group we on CF will be very happy to provide answers to more specific questions, questions that relate more specifically to all the "stuff" a ship's master needs to know to keep crew and vessel safe. Lifestyle recommendations are a little outside our competence and questions that impact personal finance are too particular to the financial position of the person asking the questions that we can have much to contribute.

All the best

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:29   #17

While I've always owned a sailboat or a motorsailer - if my primary interest was to "live on a boat" rather than go sailing I'd also own a trawler. Less money. Less maintenance. More living space. If you want to cross oceans - a sailboat is the way to go.

The biggest problem with a trawler is that they roll when the waves are on the beam. A sailboat's sails keep it from rolling. If you have a very big budget you can get a boat with a hydraulic stabilizer. Some trawlers have a towed stabilizer called a "bird". But most small trawlers stay out of big beam waves by picking their route and weather.

If you are reasonably handy, you can buy a 20-30 year old trawler and break-even or even make a small profit when you sell it in a few years -- by doing cosmetic repairs and a few upgrades. This probably won't include the cost of your "time" working on it - but there's not much that is more relaxing and centering than working on one's boat.

Be sure to get one with - fiberglass hull. one engine. genset, diesel heater (can be installed), water maker (if you plan to anchor for more than a few days away from a marina), a crane or davits to store a good size dinghy out of the water (11ft+ with 15hp outboard), deck space for two kayaks or a canoe. Don't get more boat than you need - maybe 36ft. Two people can be very comfortable in something as small as 28ft. A bigger boat will give you more storage space. How much do you want to spend for storage? What's your budget?

It's safest to go with a well known brand like Grand Banks that has many for sale. Go to a few marinas and talk to the owners of any boat you like. Tell them you're thinking of getting one. Most owners love to talk about their boats and many will invite you aboard. They'll tell you what to look for and think about in buying that type of boat. After you settle on a brand, be sure to look at least three for sale even if you have to travel some. Since this is your first boat, don't buy the cheapest - there's likely a reason it's cheap that you don't know how to spot.

While brokers can be helpful, always remember brokers are a business that only gets revenue when a sale closes. If you decide to "keep looking", they don't get a paycheck that week.

Oh, and if your wife is "not so sure", let her skip the longer/rougher passages and "meet you there". It's always easy to find a friend (usually young and male) who thinks a rough passage would be GREAT.

Here's a nice one:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...dard%20listing
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:33   #18

Ah Yea I should display what type of lifestyle I lead and have.

I grew up in Hamilton Ontario. Very industrial town, moved to nanaimo when I was just entering high school always been on friends vessels and multiple ferries( don’t count these ), I’m by no means a “ sailor” but I do have the capability to be handy on a boat and very good with tools and normal hardware installations, by trade Im a sheet metal journeyman but currently run my grandfathers company which is fairly hands off for me due to his hard work.

My wife is not familiar with boat life other then watching videos on YouTube such as “ finding Simon” or “Walde sailing” Which showcase the BC climate and the style of life she wishes to convert to.

This has been a talk between us for 1 year already however we wanted to get married first in October then plan the boat life and re-talk a sort of plan.

Currently we are just shopping around or looking at boats that may need some love or a coat of paint but something to go slow and see nature and wake up drink a coffee in a nice anchorage once a while.

I ask remind her everyday it’s rainy and damp a lot and it’s really not an option to just “ turn the warm on “ or “” stop the rain” . She remains adamant over the course of even me trying to talk her out of it.
Not because I don’t want the boat but I know I can live in anything. I’m an only child I can make entertainment for myself.

Moving back to Ontario is only the option if we truly don’t like the experience of being a liveaboard , maybe a house or microhome would do in 5 years but right now we are very intrigued about the boat life in bc.
Graysonthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:06   #19

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Sailboats are also dark and dreary below decks with windows that you have to stand up to see out of. They also often lack any sort of enclosed, weather protected place to run the boat in bad weather. And there will be bad weather.......
Ha...... say what?? Thats a pretty general statement and really doesn’t make sense.
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:27   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graysonthegreat View Post
A

Currently we are just shopping around or looking at boats that may need some love or a coat of paint but something to go slow and see nature and wake up drink a coffee in a nice anchorage once a while.
Budget is everything. If you're looking for something in the $50k-$100k range, and a trawler, consider a 36-40 footer. Defever 40, Albin 36, Hershine 37, etc. Some motoryachts might fit the bill too. List below is not an endorsement, just a quick grab in the WA/BC area. As a suggestion, avoid boats with teak side decks, and be careful of fuel tanks - trawlers from the 1970's are starting to go with regularity due to leaks around the deck-fill fittings (and teak decks), and the repair is expensive. Personally, I find a single engine less intimidating and much easier to work on than twins.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...2-lrc-3538056/
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...uiser-3603568/
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:49   #21

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

If you are going to be full time cruiser/live aboard, no marina types, bigger is definitely better in my opinion.
Ability to carry a larger safer tender, to carry the weight of superior anchoring gear, more water, more fuel, ability to carry whatever you need and want, more comfort.

Into our 4th year onboard a full displacement single engined timber trawler with zero marina time.
Would never consider going smaller than what we have but would consider bigger if we found the right boat.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:07   #22

If you are just planning to lesiurly cruise around, don't throw out planning hull boats. An aft cabin cruiser can have a ton of living space with lots of windows, so you don't feel like you are in a cave.

A nice thing is if the weather turns, you can push the throttles forward and get out of the nasty stuff several times quicker.

If you are only going to do say 1000miles per year and are willing to keep the speed down around sailboat speeds, you are probably looking at 300-400gallons of fuel...hardly a deal breaker.

PS: "Cozy" is code in the realestate industry for tiny and cramped.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:07   #23

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

i used to live on an island near Nanaimo for 20+ years and we bought an ex swordfish boat from Newport Bch CA and used it for travel across to Vanc and back etc. it was 34ft and had stabilizers which you would find very useful at times. I think the perfect boat for you would be a Grand Banks 32 which you can fit with stabilizers/ with flopper stoppers quite easily. If you buy one that is kept in a boathouse with a good owner and you take care of it you should not lose too much when the time comes to sell. A bow thruster would be a bonus. There should be a few to choose from on the west coast. I would not recommend buying one further south as the trip up the coast is a real challenge.... believe me !!!Wish I was back there, we are currently burning up over here, worst drought since 1870.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:13   #24

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Some excellent advice given already Grayson. My input... trawler due to wind, cold wet season, and power for dealing with lack of wind and tidal conditions.

But something else... not trivial... selling a boat ain’t no joke. Everything will sell at market price. Problem is what u want versus what the buyer is willing to pay. That can be a huge gap. Not meant to antagonize you... just trying to give you real world conditions....I bought a trimaran in Mexico for 23K. It was listed at 35k. He had bought it for 45k three years earlier. I was only the second guy to look at it in 2 years that he had it in the market.

You have no experience... “yet” with discernment of what is available and what is being sold visually and what can be hidden from you. What is hidden from you can cost you a trunk load of money. Just like me buying a boat in Toronto. There are some wonderful boats in the Great Lakes. Why not start there and educate yourself? PNW is so beautiful. I get why you want to do your thing there. Just be very very careful. Trawler all the way.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:23   #25

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Ah Yea I should display what type of lifestyle I lead and have.

I grew up in Hamilton Ontario. Very industrial town, moved to nanaimo when I was just entering high school always been on friends vessels and multiple ferries( don’t count these ), I’m by no means a “ sailor” but I do have the capability to be handy on a boat and very good with tools and normal hardware installations, by trade Im a sheet metal journeyman but currently run my grandfathers company which is fairly hands off for me due to his hard work.

My wife is not familiar with boat life other then watching videos on YouTube such as “ finding Simon” or “Walde sailing” Which showcase the BC climate and the style of life she wishes to convert to.

This has been a talk between us for 1 year already however we wanted to get married first in October then plan the boat life and re-talk a sort of plan.

I ask remind her everyday it’s rainy and damp a lot and it’s really not an option to just “ turn the warm on “ or “” stop the rain” . She remains adamant over the course of even me trying to talk her out of it.
Not because I don’t want the boat but I know I can live in anything. I’m an only child I can make entertainment for myself.

Moving back to Ontario is only the option if we truly don’t like the experience of being a liveaboard , maybe a house or microhome would do in 5 years but right now we are very intrigued about the boat life in bc.
Keep in mind house prices in Ontario. modest family home in Toronto is now running around $1.2m just insane! As someone from Toronto It's not worth it!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:24   #26

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Why not start with a trip around Lake Ontario on a sailboat. Its right there. Lots of old boats for sail at good prices. Its a wonderful trip, I've done it myself, so many places to see and friendly people to meet.

You can sail Lake Ontario on any size boat, but I would suggest something 25-30 feet. And give yourself at least a month, so you aren't in a hurry. And finish in the 1000 islands, where you will want another few weeks, at least.

If you buy a decent boat at a decent price, you should have no trouble getting most, if not all your money back when you sell it. I've done this too...buy in spring, sell in fall...save money on winter costs.

The experience will give you plenty of knowledge to apply to your next adventure in BC, Bahamas, or were ever you end up.

FWIW, here's a decent boat for the trip, pretty much ready to go, located in Toronto: https://kingstonyachtsales.com/boat_listing.php?id=1229
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 13:07   #27

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills
Sailboats are also dark and dreary below decks with windows that you have to stand up to see out of. They also often lack any sort of enclosed, weather protected place to run the boat in bad weather. And there will be bad weather.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSail View Post
Ha...... say what?? Thats a pretty general statement and really doesn’t make sense.
I would suggest that a full enclosure, whether on a sailboat or a trawler is pretty much a must have for year-round cruising in the PNW. But I have to agree with NYSail here... dark and dreary? Methinks you have a predisposition against sailboats
Old 13-11-2019, 03:39   #28

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
We’re not really looking into a sailboat but more live aboard trawler or something or the sort, how would you guys go about buying a boat from another province before seeing it.?

See also trawlerforum.com, a sister site to this one.

-Chris
Old 13-11-2019, 04:49   #29

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Why not start with a trip around Lake Ontario on a sailboat. Its right there. Lots of old boats for sail at good prices. Its a wonderful trip, I've done it myself, so many places to see and friendly people to meet.

You can sail Lake Ontario on any size boat, but I would suggest something 25-30 feet. And give yourself at least a month, so you aren't in a hurry. And finish in the 1000 islands, where you will want another few weeks, at least.

If you buy a decent boat at a decent price, you should have no trouble getting most, if not all your money back when you sell it. I've done this too...buy in spring, sell in fall...save money on winter costs.

The experience will give you plenty of knowledge to apply to your next adventure in BC, Bahamas, or were ever you end up.

FWIW, here's a decent boat for the trip, pretty much ready to go, located in Toronto: https://kingstonyachtsales.com/boat_listing.php?id=1229
All great suggestions but I'm not sure how that helps them wanting to live-aboard in B.C.! Though I would suggest that circumnavigating Lake Ontario should really be done over a couple of months. South shore is really nice ( but a bit shallow) and the 1000 islands is a few weeks to really do well!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 07:34   #30

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
A bit of an over generalization based upon either narrow experience or bias I believe...

Here I am pining below decks in my dark and dreary sailboat @ 56°N in mid November...

There are many options out there...

Cheers! Bill

Tags
boat, british columbia, Canada, live-aboard, liveaboard