Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-02-2018, 08:51   #16

Boat: Trident Challenger- 35 feet
Re: Why not a motor yacht?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
...If you're planning on passage making in a motor yacht, it had best be a BIG motor yacht.
It really does depend on what horizons you're aiming for. We're blue water sailors preparing for a passage Pamama to to the South Pacific and accept that for that you need a sailboat or monster motorboat. But only a couple of years ago we spent two seasons cruising Cuba, Bahamas ans the US east coast during which time - particularly whilst in the USA - a regular refrain was: "You know, this'd be much better/easier in one of those trawler yachts."

bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 09:01   #17

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp77 View Post
I admit that I am very green when it comes to boating in anything over a 20' fishing boat. I've been looking around a lot, though, for the better part of a decade. The only thing that has stopped me from acting on it is my now-ex, which happens to be one small reason for her being my ex, but that's another story for no time.
Now that I'm single, my kids are grown, and I managed to get myself out of the debt that she caused, I have been diligently working toward my goal of living aboard a motor yacht. I've done lots of research. So much, in fact, that I have learned that I need to do a lot of research.
On the same token, my life's experience has been such that if you think long, you think wrong. There's as much benefit to jumping in than there is to planning things out, so I'm doing about an even mix of both.
One thing that I've noticed is that there seems to be a shortage of people living aboard motor yachts, yet a plethora of sailboats. Every time I ask for advice, or for someone to hit me with a bit of knowledge I get advice and/or knowledge of sailboats, even when I specify that I'm asking about motor yachts. I may not be the brightest crayon in the tool shed, but I know that I don't have to worry about the sail rigging on a boat that doesn't use sails.
But, why are there so many more sailboaters? Or, is it that there aren't necessarily more sailboaters, just fewer motor yacht owners that speak to people with a bank account under $10M?
My Mom & Pop lived very successfully on a 48ft, flush deck motor yacht for 17yrs. Pop's age and the fact she was wood ended it. I feel sure there is a forum for power live a boards with far less than 10M.

Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 09:57   #18

Boat: Garden Portage 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp77 View Post
I admit that I am very green when it comes to boating in anything over a 20' fishing boat. I've been looking around a lot, though, for the better part of a decade. The only thing that has stopped me from acting on it is my now-ex, which happens to be one small reason for her being my ex, but that's another story for no time.
Now that I'm single, my kids are grown, and I managed to get myself out of the debt that she caused, I have been diligently working toward my goal of living aboard a motor yacht. I've done lots of research. So much, in fact, that I have learned that I need to do a lot of research.
On the same token, my life's experience has been such that if you think long, you think wrong. There's as much benefit to jumping in than there is to planning things out, so I'm doing about an even mix of both.
One thing that I've noticed is that there seems to be a shortage of people living aboard motor yachts, yet a plethora of sailboats. Every time I ask for advice, or for someone to hit me with a bit of knowledge I get advice and/or knowledge of sailboats, even when I specify that I'm asking about motor yachts. I may not be the brightest crayon in the tool shed, but I know that I don't have to worry about the sail rigging on a boat that doesn't use sails.
But, why are there so many more sailboaters? Or, is it that there aren't necessarily more sailboaters, just fewer motor yacht owners that speak to people with a bank account under $10M?
Check out Trawler living, an Cruising on Facebook.
Zoidislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 10:15   #19
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You have met me, my background is 36 to 45 Sportfishermen and center consoles, this is my first Sailboat.
OK, one. But since I only met you once for like 3 minutes and never saw you again in 2 months, I'm going to call it a half.
Old 13-02-2018, 10:32   #20

Boat: 42' Grand Banks

Wasp 77, you don't tell us what your budget is or any boating goals/dreams you may have beyond living aboard. "Just jumping in there" can be great but also very expensive if you don't think this through ahead of time.

I'm a former yacht broker and have lived quite happily on a pair of power boats for the last 18 years. My first boat was a motor yacht with a planning hull and gas engines. The accommodations were wonderful but as noted already, the fuel consumption made cruising very expensive. I enjoy spending as much time away from the dock as possible so this was not a good fit for me.

My second (and current) boat is a Grand Banks "trawler," in a motor yacht configuration -- meaning an aft deck with a full-beam master stateroom. This is a semi-displacement hull with diesel engines large enough to push the boat up on plane when I want more speed. The extra speed does help stabilize the boat in a less than ideal sea state. This is an excellent boat for me as it checks all my boxes. It has a tremendous amount of space, is great for entertaining and only sips fuel at displacement speed.

If you don't know the difference between planning, semi-and full displacement hulls, it's time to do some research.

Here are the top takeaways; if you're only going to spend time at the dock, most any motor yacht will serve you. Look for a boat with gas engines as it will be considerably cheaper. If you really want to use it as a boat, then research semi-and full displacement trawlers and spend the money for diesel engines. Your cost of ownership will be less and resale value more.

Good luck!
Blaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 10:43   #21

I have been a motor boater on the great lakes for 30+ years and I am transitioning to sailing. The only reason I still own Ruca is because I am deep in the rat race and that does not provide the time to sail to my destination on the weekend.

My uncles 36' chris craft commander gets .5 MPG, not quite big enough to live aboard, imo.

To drive said live aboard chris craft 2500 miles from detroit to miami will cost around 20000$ in gas and create around 50 tons of co2.

If you are living aboard, do it. If you are cruising long distance, it's dirty, uncomfortable, and too damn expensive.
bstruebing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 10:55   #22

Boat: Scout 30

Here's a link to Trawler Living and Cruising. Approximately 12,000 members.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/trawlerlving/
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 11:20   #23

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
Here is my theory and speculation.

Motor yachts tend to go from marina to marina, tie up, plug in, then go to the restaurant for dinner. There isn’t as much a need for weather planning, provisioning and self-sufficiency. Therefore, less research, less discussion and few internet forums dedicated to such.

That said, there are lots of people on motor yachts. You just might be looking in the wrong places for information.

This magazine seems to cater to just that type of lifestyle:

https://marinalife.com/magazine/fall-2017/
Funny, last trip we did up the qld coast most of the yachts we saw only moved on the same calm days we did and they motored.
When the wind got over 20knots they mostly found marinas.
Whenever there was a restaurant in sight they went for it.

We on the other hand have been living aboard for two years.
Zero nights in a marina and a handful of restaurant meals
Simi 60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 11:25   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstruebing View Post

To drive said live aboard chris craft 2500 miles from detroit to miami will cost around 20000$ in gas and create around 50 tons of co2.

If you are living aboard, do it. If you are cruising long distance, it's dirty, uncomfortable, and too damn expensive.
Clearly you are looking at the wrong boats.

For us to do that trip would cost about $6500 in diesel (Australia pays more for fuel than the US) and we always do it in comfort, far more comfort than we could get in a sailing boat.
Old 13-02-2018, 11:47   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Why not indeed. If you like them, buy one.

I could take a stab at the pros and cons:

Motor yacht pros:

1. Lots of interior volume for the length and beam. Definitely best accommodation bang for the buck for any boat.
2. Can be quite cheap, especially with gas engines.
3. Relatively easy to handle, requiring less skill than sailing, but you still need some skill. Docking a motor yacht in a tight marina on a windy day is not for the faint of heart.

Motor yacht cons:

1. Uncomfortable motion without expensive stabilizers. Not an issue at the dock.

What is NOT generally a motor yacht con:

1. Fuel cost. Unless you're going long distances or buzzing around at semi-displacement speeds, the operating costs are not so different from what you will spend on a larger sailboat. Sailboats are not that cheap to run -- sails, rigging, etc., etc., etc. can cost a lot per mile, easily more than you spend on fuel for a motor yacht, if you like to sail, use good stuff, and replace it regularly.

Sailboat pros:

1. Sailing is glorious! It's magical. It's addictive. I love diesel engines and like motor yachts, but would I, personally, give up sailing? Nahhh. . .

2. Unlimited range. If you want to cross oceans, sail is the way to go.

Sailboat cons:

1. Accommodation. Sailboats get to be comfortable places to live only with fairly expensive boats -- either large monohulls or catamarans. Of course people get used to whatever, but if you want to live aboard and you plan to be at the dock most of the time, a motor yacht is a much better idea.

2. Complexity. A lot more systems to operate and maintain.
Thanks for the reality check.
We came to the same conclusion and for us, the sailing boat we needed/wanted as a comfortable, speedy (average 7 knots) and high load carrying would be cost prohibitive and due to size, a handful.

We have sailed for 30 years and were loathed to go the stinkboat route, but, being on the water full time and in comfort was more important.

We have good range, approx 3500nm and we have no stabilisers or paravanes but, we do have time to wait for a good weather window.
Before doing our planned ocean crossings, paravanes will be installed, but they are cheap if you are handy, a few grand should see it done..
Old 13-02-2018, 12:26   #26

Why has no one mentioned a single screw trawler with a stay sail and large fuel capacity. I mean real trawler, easily driven. certainly won't get you there fast about sailboat speed. l
Old 13-02-2018, 12:44   #27

Boat: Scout 30

People have been cruising in power boats for over 100 years. In fact motorboats designed for family cruising were quite popular in the 20's. Every boat is a compromise & none more so than motor boats. Boats designed for speed will be inefficient at low speeds. Slower displacement hulled motorcruisers can are very efficient but tend to roll more although this can be mitigated by modifying your course or adding stabilization. Semi-displacement hulled trawlers like Grand Banks or Marine Traders roll less but more quickly and are also less efficient & less seaworthy.

It's true that trawlers can be uncomfortable in a beam sea. But trust me, sailboats in a beam sea are no picnic & can be downright scary. Nobody takes waves broadside if they can help it.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 12:49   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Why has no one mentioned a single screw trawler with a stay sail and large fuel capacity. I mean real trawler, easily driven. certainly won't get you there fast about sailboat speed. l

I did sort of, cause I said Id want a steadying Sail.
Id like it to be able to make some way with one, not that Id plan on sailing the thing, but just as a safety backup.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 13:00   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
People have been cruising in power boats for over 100 years. In fact motorboats designed for family cruising were quite popular in the 20's. Every boat is a compromise & none more so than motor boats. Boats designed for speed will be inefficient at low speeds. Slower displacement hulled motorcruisers can are very efficient but tend to roll more although this can be mitigated by modifying your course or adding stabilization. Semi-displacement hulled trawlers like Grand Banks or Marine Traders roll less but more quickly and are also less efficient & less seaworthy.

It's true that trawlers can be uncomfortable in a beam sea. But trust me, sailboats in a beam sea are no picnic & can be downright scary. Nobody takes waves broadside if they can help it.
Amen. Putting a boat in the trough is about stupidity. Grand Banks and Marine Traders have a legitimate place in the market but in reality are not trawlers. They can be made to exceed hull speed if needed and if you have big pockets. The sacrifice comes on low speed efficiency but not to badly. JMHO
Old 13-02-2018, 14:01   #30

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Pilothouse motorsailer?
Simple sail rig.
Small diesel to reach hull speed.Fuel efficient.
Stable due to sails.

SEAHORSE MARINE

Tags
motor, yacht

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: