Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-11-2014, 23:05   #76

Re: Why is Planing Ability Important in a Dinghy?

Another advantage to a little bit more power on your dingy you can side tie to your mother ship and make headway in some conditions should that occasion should ever arise
John

Old 25-11-2014, 06:25   #77

Boat: 45' Aft Cabin Motor yacht

Here is what I personally encountered.

We have a 10' West Marine inflatable keel dinghy and originally had a 6hp Suzuki 2 stroke on it. With just me in it, it would push water and make about 5kts. With my wife and two young boys added to it, we were lucky to get 3kts. During a Memorial Day trip we were caught in an outgoing tidal current that was between 2-3kts. It took us over an hour to go across the harbor and we were soaking wet by the time we got there.

I have since upgraded to a 9.9 four stroke. It will plane with me and my two boys and will run 23kts. With my wife added in it won't plane but will push 10kts. I think if I work with changing the prop pitch I should be able to get it up on plane.

Point being - have and not need is a lot better than need and not have.

Old 25-11-2014, 11:27   #78

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
We've found that West Marine sells a hard bottom dink, double floor , with a folding transom that allows the dink to be folded up and put into a bag about the size of a large surf board..

Our 10' RIB has a folding transom, and I'm not a fan.

It was important to us before we bought a trailer, when we routinely off-loaded the dinghy for the winter and stuffed it into the back of our Suburban for transport to home storage.

But when folded, it also puts some strain on the adhesive that connects transom to tube. Not an insurmountable issue, but keeping the tubes inflated helps that junction. And that in turn, along with the trailer, eliminated our need for a folding transom.

FWIW, we carry the RIB on a davit system when it's aboard. Once we got the trailer we could also get a larger motor, too. We can still launch within about 2 minutes, most of which is simply about keeping the winch strap dry. For emergency launch, I can get it free in about 15 seconds by inserting the plug, unsnapping the winch strap, and then cutting the sacrificial tie-down rope.

-Chris
Old 25-11-2014, 13:29   #79

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eosvan View Post
Another advantage to a little bit more power on your dingy you can side tie to your mother ship and make headway in some conditions should that occasion should ever arise
John
Yawl boat.
Old 26-11-2014, 20:02   #80
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Our 10' RIB has a folding transom, and I'm not a fan.

It was important to us before we bought a trailer, when we routinely off-loaded the dinghy for the winter and stuffed it into the back of our Suburban for transport to home storage.

But when folded, it also puts some strain on the adhesive that connects transom to tube. Not an insurmountable issue, but keeping the tubes inflated helps that junction. And that in turn, along with the trailer, eliminated our need for a folding transom.

FWIW, we carry the RIB on a davit system when it's aboard. Once we got the trailer we could also get a larger motor, too. We can still launch within about 2 minutes, most of which is simply about keeping the winch strap dry. For emergency launch, I can get it free in about 15 seconds by inserting the plug, unsnapping the winch strap, and then cutting the sacrificial tie-down rope.

-Chris
I'd put mine on a trailer also but I cant seem to find a hitch that bolts to the back of my boat..

Tags
dinghy, import

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: