Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-10-2014, 08:01   #61
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Why is Planing Ability Important in a Dinghy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Sunday morning Croissants!

So the French bakery opens at 7am on a Sunday and the regular crowd race the 1 nm from the anchorage to be first in line, buy the croissants hot out of the oven, race home, and present the still hot to the Mrs.

In an 18 hp I am last to leave the anchorage at 6:57am and first in the bakery line, first Croissants hot out of the oven, first back home at 7:05am with HOT Croissants. If I had a Mrs she wold be happy

9.9hp leaves at 6:50 gets in the line behind me (I snigger a bit) gets a warm croissant and gets home to the wife at 7:11. She is reasonably happy as long as he makes coffee, does the dishes and polishes her brightwork

4hp gets outta bed 6:15 puts on his galoshers and Sou'Wester and leaves the boat at 6:30 am and is last in line, only gets one Croissant as the rest sold out to higher HP, leaves bakery 7:10 gets wet all the way home, at 20 to 8, presents wife with one soggy cold croissant which she looks at distainfully and says "I already ate breakfast, scambled eggs. You can have some too, they are still in the shell."

Anyway mine were great!
our french baker delivers, no need to launch a dink, or even go anywhere in th emorning before coffee for fresh croisants..........
as for west coast inabilities to launch dinks easily, i believe most of the problem lies in the amount of time not on water, which exceeds the time they spend on water----they havent the time to play with the toys they bought in summer, as many only sail 3-5 months of year...lol
i did notice that the ones who are on water longer are more proficient...

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:40   #62
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
Some designer / manufacturers leave the tricking out to the buyer... and each owner will have a different use and style... some into going from slip to slip... other to a mooring, others anchor out... some race and so on.

Davits with dink stowed are not advisable for ocean passages where a wave can poop the rig and rip it off. I big heavy planing set up is not mission critical for most sailors, but for some surely it is. YMMV
a. If the boat is ordered for cruising dingy handling should be designed in. I would not tour the country in a camper mounted to a pick-up truck. Yes, I've made an obsurd comparison, but a dingy is as much a part of a boat as parking a car is a part of house. If you want a garage, it should be a part of the base design, not an after thought.

b. Dingy handling systems can be safe (note I did not say davits), and any assertion otherwise does not bear examination. It has to be designed in, not stuck on the back in such away not to conflict with the helm or backstay. Catamarans can carry dingies because they are not off the back--that could be done, by designing davits that articulated forward and by changing the transom/aft design to accomodate. A proper deck hoist mechanism (one person, engine stays on) could be engineered; you see these ocationally. But the market has not demanded this degree of attention. Odd. I know that when I bought my boat an integral hard top and well engineered davits were key requirements, since both would be used every day. More valuable than a varnished teak cabin, which adds no utlity.

I can't imagine having a dingy that takes more than moments to launch. Too anoying to bother with. I would settle for a kayak.

And yes, I've taken a kayak out in >20 knots many times. Invigorating. Only took ~ 0.2 hp. Range somewhat limited in a head wind, skill required, and good exersize. So far, the engine has proven dependable, and like a deisel, benifits from regular use.

Writing full-time since 2014.
Bookstore:http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...ook-store.html
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:47   #63
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
We can literally launch our dinghy ready to go in less than 10 seconds. It takes me 30-40 seconds to haul it back up because I am old and weak. If I used our electric winch, it would be up in 10 seconds also. This is a 12' 300lb RIB with 20HP outboard.

The only time I have used bad words launching or retrieving the dink from the davits is when I forgot to put the plug in when launching.

Likewise, I have never seen any catamarans with davits take more than a minute or two to launch or retrieve. Perhaps those Pacific Mexican catamarans are setup differently than those on the other side.

Mark
My daughter started launching and retrieving the dink from the davits on her own the day she got her permit. She was 14 years and 80 pounds at the time. No harsh words.

Of course, she did run out of gas 2 miles away with a freind a few days later. Though I could not hear her whistle, apparently every dog on the island did. I was down below, thought about the fact that they had been gone a good while and the noise might not be coincidence, and came up and scanned the horizon with binoculars. There she was, standing up and waving. I honked once to acknowledge, up-anchored, and picked her up. Now she checks the gas too.

Writing full-time since 2014.
Bookstore:http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...ook-store.html
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 07:54   #64

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

You guys convinced me! I put a deposit on a 15 HP Nissan at the boat show. I couldn't pass up the price. Now I just need a RIB for it.
Old 13-10-2014, 08:21   #65

Location: In boat fixing' season I'm in a Maryland boat yard too close to Washington, DC ... except when I escape to home on the beach in Florida!
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 34

4arch,

Where are you located? I might have a dinghy for you.

Roger

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 13-10-2014, 08:25   #66

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtrio View Post
4arch,

Where are you located? I might have a dinghy for you.
Baltimore. What do you have?
Old 13-10-2014, 14:50   #67

Location: In boat fixing' season I'm in a Maryland boat yard too close to Washington, DC ... except when I escape to home on the beach in Florida!
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 34

I'll pm you

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 26-10-2014, 12:53   #68
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m

My dinghy 5 cent. After inflatable rib of 3.2 meter with 8hp 2 stroke, made hard hull dinghy 3.4 meter with 6 air compartments and with 15 hp 2 stroke went like jetsky, now got 4 meter aluminium kimple catch weighs 89kg and zips around at high speed with same 15hp. My cat is 5 meter beam and I designed and made a stern sest doubling as frame for lift for dinghy powered by my Lewmar 40 winch, then tie down the dinghy to same stern chair. It is not beautifull but for my coastal sailing reality great solution. I a,ways take second 5hp 2 stroke with internal tank and external tank cap with me as backup when go for long distance. I have a mobile sonar lowrance black and white, and handheld garmin gps chartplotter and ipad with waterproof cover as navigation electronics, life jackets for all, 1st aid kit, flares. These items are no luxury when going around tropical islands. I forget to mention great rowing dinghy allows for long oars and proper oarlocks add great value so dies the ideal bench location.

Sent from East Africa via Cruisers Sailing Forum app
Old 26-10-2014, 13:31   #69

Boat: Morris Frances 26

Hello,

Here is a question for you dinghy afficionados: Being very limited in space, I plan on getting either an Achilles or Zodiac 7'6" inflatable. I'd prefer the Achilles, if I can find the money. Would either boats plane with a 2.5hp Suzuki? I assume not.. What about a Tohatsu 3.5hp? I don't want anything heavier and the stated limit is 4hp 55Lbs for the engine (for both). Or should I get a two-stoke in the Bahamas?

Gil.
Old 26-10-2014, 15:35   #70
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Nassau had a good range of 2 stroke outboards. They were 10% more, exactly, than prices in St Martin but still much better than 4 stroke.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2014, 16:37   #71

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgsn View Post
Hello,

Here is a question for you dinghy afficionados: Being very limited in space, I plan on getting either an Achilles or Zodiac 7'6" inflatable. I'd prefer the Achilles, if I can find the money. Would either boats plane with a 2.5hp Suzuki? I assume not.. What about a Tohatsu 3.5hp? I don't want anything heavier and the stated limit is 4hp 55Lbs for the engine (for both). Or should I get a two-stoke in the Bahamas?

Gil.
I had an Avon Redcrest with a soft floor (as in no hard support at all) that I could just plane one up with a 3.5 two stroke. I had to move forwards in it and either use a pvc pipe tiller extender or tighten the friction clamp and steer it by shifting my weight side to side. Shorter dinghy lengths are harder to get "over the hump" and on the plane than longer lengths.
Old 22-11-2014, 15:24   #72
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i love the freedom my ROWBOAT gives me-- i can sleep at night with it in the water..is safer for bubba daboatkat, as when he fell in, he swam to the side tied dinghy and i could easily scoop his cold wet self into boat.....
Have you tried hanging a piece of netting over the side of the dinghy into the water? Like a six inch wide strip of old fishing net from beach combing? Or a towel, or something with a good purchase for desperate little claws. Or one off the side and another off the stern? From my experiences with Leroy the Six Toed Ocean Swimming Cat, I am willing to bet that little critter of yours will quickly get hisself back into that rowboat and hardly get wet once he knows it's there.

Cats swim well. They just don't think they look cool doing it.
Old 24-11-2014, 18:47   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Hi AVB, glad to help. I do like our dink. So far it has proven to be a great choice for the way my partner and I cruise, but it is certainly not the best choice for everyone. So here's the downsides as I see them:
[*]Finally, the sail rig is just for play. I got it. It's fun to play around with in an anchorage, but it's pretty rinky-dink. Not worth the money.[/LIST]
That's all I can think of right now. Does that help?
Mike, thank you for your opinion. I am very intrigued by the Porta-Bote, but I would love to find a dink that is efficient to row, sail and can handle the occasional rocky shore.

Dave
Old 24-11-2014, 19:38   #74
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
You guys convinced me! I put a deposit on a 15 HP Nissan at the boat show. I couldn't pass up the price. Now I just need a RIB for it.

when looking for dinks, and we've had a few, incliding a "fatty Knees" and found like many, a dink is a hard place to store.. I hate looking throu a dodger on a passage and seeing a boat blocking my view forward,, our boat is cutter rigged so forward storage is out.
We've found that West Marine sells a hard bottom dink, double floor , with a folding transom that allows the dink to be folded up and put into a bag about the size of a large surf board.. it set between the dodger and the mast............
The boat is rated for a 15 hp motor but a 20 hp motor weighs about the same. And its on sale now at 400 dollars off.. its $1500.00

And Note, many times while returning to our boat in an ancorage, we have taken on a hitch-hiker in a dinghy rowing back to their boat and given them a tow home..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	west marine inflatable.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	92290  
Old 24-11-2014, 19:50   #75

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cest la Dave View Post
Mike, thank you for your opinion. I am very intrigued by the Porta-Bote, but I would love to find a dink that is efficient to row, sail and can handle the occasional rocky shore.
Hi Dave, the portabote might work for you. It rows very well and is extremely tough. Rocks are no problem. But the sail rig really is just for play. It's a lateen rig that is pretty easy to set up and run, but the bote uses lee boards for stability and tracking, and the rig itself is pretty light. As I say, fun in an anchorage, but certainly not a serious sail boat.

Tags
dinghy, import

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: