Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2011, 14:45   #1

Why Do You Live Aboard?

Why do you live aboard? Is it because of economics, is it a dream, is it because you sleep better with the gentle rocking, why???
2nd Dog Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 14:57   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate re: Why Do You Live Aboard?

Its a roof over my head with an ever changing garden....

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 15:12   #3

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
re: Why Do You Live Aboard?

I got tired of maintaining land based junk and prefer the simplicity of life aboard. Also loving to be on the water helps.
Old 26-12-2011, 15:18   #4

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

If you have to ask the question you probably won't understand the answer. At least that is what we tell our land based friends and relatives. 20 years ago we sold our houses, cars and business and bought a boat. The plan was to cruise for about 5 years to see what all of the fuss was about and then move back ashore. We are so happy with our lifestyle that we still have no desire to quit yet. We have tried short periods ashore and it quickly became a priority to get back on the boat. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 15:22   #5
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd Dog Watch View Post
Why do you live aboard? Is it because of economics, is it a dream, is it because you sleep better with the gentle rocking, why???

I just knew I wanted to try it when I started.

Now that I've been aboard over a year I've had wonderful experiences I just wouldn't have had otherwise.

I'd never seen bioluminescence before. It was SPECTACULAR in my marina -- I got in my dinghy and just rowed around playing in it -- until I realized I was just ringing a dinner bell for the mullet. Then I tried to restrain myself.

It lasted into October.

Then there were the dolphin who were coming into the marina to hunt sheepshead -- in the middle of the night. I wish this had happened on my boat, but I did see them hunting.

One of them wanted to get at a sheepshead near the bow of a neighbor's boat. That dolphin just WHACKED the boat with his tail. Well, the sound reverberated throughout the inside of the boat, and the owner came out to see what in the world could have happened while tied up at the dock -- and it happened AGAIN!

AND the dolphin was smart enough to hit the rudder. He knew how to move that boat!

Those are the stop two of a number of experiences I just wouldn't have had. I have no desire to go back to land. I'm 66 and I know some day I will have to, but I will do that with a fuller heart.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 15:44   #6

Eee god, I knew this would be a good question to ask! I like seeing the luminesants in the water at night and much more....
2nd Dog Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 15:48   #7

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
I like being on the water, I like to look around while on the river and see something new everytime i'am out. I like the other people I've met who use their boats, when i'am on the boat or around the water i'am happy & content, no stress. And I do sleep better on the probable because i'am tired from having fun;-)
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 15:49   #8

Boat: Groupe Finot, Steel Sloop, 42'

My wife just spent a weekend on one of my boats....and she said...what do you think if we just liveaboard?....i didn't even have to think about it...so we are making plans...
Old 26-12-2011, 16:18   #9

Boat: Catalina 30

Although not a liveaboard (yet) there is the water, living water, constantly in motion. The tides going out and coming in. This weekend has been busy, one day working on my boat down on the York River, VA; today touring the marina on Kent Island where I most likely will move her to at least live on her several days each week.

We had a beautiful weekend, a bit breezy, or windy depending on your thinking. Blue skies and open water. Standing on the docks and feeling the breeze, the sky and the power of the water is wonderful. The Chesapeake Bay is finally looking better after the rains of Irene and Lee.

As I was heading home and on the Bay Bridge I realized what this weekend really was. I grew up on the Great Lakes. Today was like all fall days in Michigan when standing on the shore of Michigan, or Superior, or Huron or the Detroit River 40 or 50 years ago. I could feel the pull of the Lakes and the Bay. Pulling me to be on them. I am not to be on land. I am to be on water.
By the shores 0f Gitche Gumee, By the shining Big-Sea-Water, Stood the wigwam 0f Nokomis, Daughter 0f the Moon, Nokomis. Dark behind it rose the forest, Rose the black and gloomy pine-trees, Rose the firs with cones upon them; Bright before it beat the water, Beat the clear and sunny water, Beat the shining Big-Sea-Water.
That is why I will be a liveaboard. And damned lucky so few people know why or want to do the same.
Old 26-12-2011, 16:30   #10

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'

Other than the "roof" over my head and the ongoing oceanic adventure, I am starting to think the other big reason I live-aboard is to get a good night's sleep. Since sailing back to my home port for Christmas I have attempted to sleep back in those motionless landlocked buildings three times now. Each time I have had a horrid go at getting good deep sleep like I would on the boat at anchor. Even as I type I am doing my best to get over the few hours of broken "rest" I nearly think I had last night in a suburban home.
Old 26-12-2011, 16:39   #11

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

I am presently visiting inland for Christmas staying in a beautiful big house, but I can't wait to get back to my boat for better sleeps and air that is easier to breath.
Old 26-12-2011, 17:12   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Nancie and I are now completing our fortieth year of livingaboard. We did this as a youthfull escape out of college; a great experience for raising young children; afternoons of peacefull sailing after a hard day's work; vacations at home in the Bahamas; low cost housing while putting children through college and fantastic retirement travel. If things keep working this well we'll have a geriatric vessel in an assisted living marina!
Old 26-12-2011, 17:26   #13
Marine Service Provider

Location: floating around ... hopefully in aqua clear swimming pool water!
Boat: 1985 Passport 37

Not to mention we can "relocate" our "house" to a different neighborhood every week if we want to. It's really fun to "relocate" to a different Kuna indigenous island in the San Blas Islands ... or a different Belizean offshore atoll every week ... or hopefully this year, to a different Exuma town every week to 10 days... and the luminescence in the waters along with the other joys of living aboard ... we were ashore for the holidays this year and cannot wait to resume our "gypsy" existence ... hopefully interacting and helping out when we can ...

https://commutercruiser.com
sv Winterlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 18:01   #14
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv Winterlude View Post
Not to mention we can "relocate" our "house" to a different neighborhood every week if we want to. It's really fun to "relocate" to a different Kuna indigenous island in the San Blas Islands ... or a different Belizean offshore atoll every week ... or hopefully this year, to a different Exuma town every week to 10 days... and the luminescence in the waters along with the other joys of living aboard ... we were ashore for the holidays this year and cannot wait to resume our "gypsy" existence ... hopefully interacting and helping out when we can ...

I have also found that fellow boat neighbors are more respectful of your privacy than people in condos or apartments.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 07:24   #15

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
It may be the illusion of having control over my life.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote