Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 08:06   #31
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Why Do You Live Aboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Controlled Jibe View Post
While we don't quite liveaboard yet (we're setting off this June), I'm pretty excited to have a bathtub that is full of Lobster and Dorado.
Last time we had a "tub" of any sort it was mostly used to rinse scuba gear, although I do remember it once being full of winch parts and degreaser.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:02   #32

Boat: Pearson Triton 28

I was referring to the bigger, saltier tub below the boat.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:31   #33

To save money, was the first reason.

We're leaving in about a year to go sailing for (hopefully) a few years, and it was much more economical to live on the boat rather than pay for the marina and a land home. The benefits we've gotten from living on the boat are huge and I'd do it all over again if I had the chance. But the primary reason we started with was to save money.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 13:28   #34

Boat: CN35 - 1960 35' steel yawl

Wife left, truck blew up, dog died <cue cello>. In hindsight good things can come in threes too. Boat seemed like the logical move since that land thing didn't seem to be workin' out so well. The universe pushes you and if you don't push back too hard, and let it take you where it may, you can end up in just the right place after all. These days I try not to meddle too much in my own affairs, and the better for it
red_sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 20:20   #35

Boat: William Garden pilothouse ketch 60' LOA.

The main reason I live aboard is that BIG BROTHER don't know what I'm doing and yes I sleep very goodat night.
wildbillca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 22:54   #36
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd Dog Watch View Post
Why do you live aboard? Is it because of economics, is it a dream, is it because you sleep better with the gentle rocking, why???

No none of the above….. It is just that I can only tread water for a relatively short time!...
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 23:31   #37
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

All I have in the world is my boat..living on here is the first time I have truley felt at home. The people are nicer, it is cheaper to live....but most importantly I no longer have to live under someone else's control, no renting a room/sharing a house, apt etc...I can go where I want and am in a pstin to rvide fr someone (a crew member that just doesnt have to worry abut the BS of regular lfe). On the boat I am going from barely making ends meet on land to living qute comfortably in my own place. I can and will leave this static/stagnate culture soon.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:46   #38
cruiser

Boat: Catalac, sailing catamaran, 10 meters

liveaboard when i can and feel like, have base on land, here in north Mozambique liveaboarding is different challenge but great life. Different challenge in terms in keeping up with maintenance as one cant get boat stuff here. Then South africa is only 3 hour flight away to Johannesburg where you can even buy 2nd hand stuff.

Liveaboard is not therapy for stress rather need to live in my prefered environment.

As 20year old i fixed up 3ton Saviem truck, ex-french gendarmes and managed to travel most of Europe in it practically liveaboarding, wa snot so different as living in small monohull. So i like small controllable areas to live in but also like my creature comforts. I can compare the land and sea liveaboard and prefer larger very much.

Then wife and kids, schooling best have land base as well. In Europe i wouldnt be able to live like this, financially wouldnt cope!

I can strongly advise anyone having the idea to go liveaboarding to go see how it works. If there is anyone wanting exposure to it in tropical setting maybe we can work something out. I had to learn hard way, the sailing, the yacht management and if i can help a hopefull liveaboarder to see what it actually takes lets talk
quirimbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:01   #39

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Because my ex-wife was NOT living aboard the boat.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:08   #40
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Some flippant answers are: I don't like cutting grass, or shoveling snow.

Others have mentioned the new and glorious experiences visually and physically of living onboard a boat - but some of the practical reasons are:
- Confined/limited space acts like a limiter on how much stuff you can buy and put on the boat. Nick-nacks and other similar stuff doesn't really work on a boat as it would have to be physically attached so boat movement doesn't break it. Same with just about everything else from clothing, shoes, books, magazines, and all the stuff that clutters up a much large land-home - you are limited by the boat's relatively smaller size/volume.
- Forced exercise. If in a marina you need to hike to the shore-side bathroom/showers in all kinds of weather. And you have to (like a rabbit) climb up out of your "home" and then descend down back into your "home" many times per day. Add in "isometric" exercises as you hang upside down like a snake from a tree branch trying to get at something in the bilge or engine area.
- All in all, a simplified lifestyle due to lack of space and storage for "trash/junk" foods. IMHO, this leads to a healthier lifestyle that is more akin to what our grandparents or further back experienced - coupled with some "modern" conveniences. Sort of, best of both worlds. . .

Those aren't flippant answers. No snow and no cutting grass are two very real advantages to living aboard. I will never again live anywhere where I have to do either of these things.

Living in a marina, I can do what I *like* to do, which is grow beautiful plants, placed in pots around the palm trees already planted here. I get to have *exactly* the land maintenance I want and nothing more.

The minimalist lifestyle is also a real draw for me. I've lived in free-standing houses, three different types of condos/coops, apartments and now the boat, and the boat is the most satisfactory way *for me.*

But don't kid yourself. Not having to do lawn maintenance is a significant advantage for me. Some day I'll have to move back on land in all likelihood, but it won't be to a house with a yard.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:23   #41
Eternal Member

Living aboard a boat is an "alternate lifestyle", it drastically differs from what we are "supposed to do. Govt, religion, marketing,, etc likes to keep control of it's population and that doesn't happen as much on a boat. One of the most important things I have noticed is people that choose this lifestyle....for the most part relaxed, laid back, down to earth, close knit communities that look out after everyone as well as give people their own space. On the thread "You might be a live aboard if" I recently said "You might be a llive aboard if you know all your neighbors well enough to exchaage Christmas presents(usually food or drink)....we also have regular dock/beach parties (back in the l days land people had block parties and knew all their neighbors to)
Old 09-01-2012, 15:09   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Now I will admit to not mowing a lawn since the spring of 1965 and it's a record that comes with pride! My wife and I bought our first liveaboard in 1971 and we've never had a home ashore. So, this brings up a question. What's all this talk of "Big Brother" and some control of the individuals on shore. We pay taxes and vote and have passports. It is true that there are few times that people would be able to locate my physical presence, but what is the problem that people are having with living ashore and government intrusion? Please,...please....no political rants, but just the clear and simple facts. My children grew and moved to shore as adults and they seem to have normal fulfilled lives without strife or conflict with the "shore". I think the complaint from those escaping the shore must come from poor choices or poor consequences ashore. I've met short term liveaboards that could not adapt or lost their boats by poor choices and retreated back to shore. They are probably now speaking of their escape from the perils of the sea. I guess some are doing best by escaping the former and some are doing best by looking at their future. Maybe some are doing both!
Old 09-01-2012, 18:33   #43
Eternal Member

I was not trying to make a political rant....just a sociological observation
Old 09-01-2012, 19:12   #44

Boat: Pearson 281

I think Wolf has a point and am not sure that his post qualifies as political rant. I would add to his comments with the qualification that, as I used to tell my Dad, a retired cop... I live in a place where people don't lock their doors at night.
Another highlight is that yes indeed, most have a good healthy contempt for "the authoritays" as Cartman would have it and that other than those sailors who are building for a cruising life or those shellbacks in the home strech aboard their old friends some choose to life aboard old broken down boats in a broken down old marina that gets them as far "off the grid" as possible. We've got a whole range of saints and sinners down here all having found a particular kind of independance and freedom that has little to do with a life ashore.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 21:16   #45

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

For me there was never a choice LOL born on a boat raised on a boat, made my living with boats,raised 4 kids on a boat, just bought a new one to me, to return to sea ! wife and I will spend the rest of our lives aboard. Im just a boat junky ! LOL Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote