Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 05:10   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Why Do You Live Aboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
I was not trying to make a political rant....just a sociological observation
I certainly did not consider your comments to be a "political rant". I was simply concerned that my inquiry, questioning if there was a true government intrusion upon the lives of those living ashore, would elicit political rants in the following posts. My "please....please no political rants" was only a caution for what may follow.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:13   #47

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Now I will admit to not mowing a lawn since the spring of 1965 and it's a record that comes with pride! My wife and I bought our first liveaboard in 1971 and we've never had a home ashore. So, this brings up a question. What's all this talk of "Big Brother" and some control of the individuals on shore. . .
It may just be the old "grass is greener on the other side . . ." syndrome. Sure there are some real "grating on my psyche" land stuff like zoning boards, condo committees, building permits and inspectors, and a hundred other what I consider intrusions into "my life."

But then again living aboard and cruising can have its own irritants like anchoring / mooring restrictions, marina rules and requirements, potty police, coast guard random inspections, State registration and boat taxes, getting to/from grocery and other stores when you don't have a car, Customs/Immigration hassles and/or costs when moving from country to country, and a hundred others.

So "the other side" looks great until you get there and stay for awhile . . .
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:53   #48
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

I grew up around boats and the summer of 1972 I decided I would live on a boat someday. It just so happens the boat I finally called home was launched the same summer....it just took us 35 years to find each other, the boat was launched summer1972, I found/bought/moved onto her summer 2007. Since I have moved on board I am alot more comfortable about my life
Old 10-01-2012, 10:19   #49

Boat: Pearson 281

O'sail's post brings to mind a part of my own reason for working to get to sea and currently living aboard so I can afford to get it together.

It's, in a large part about what set of rules you want to follow and as Moitessier so much more eloquently put it will I follow rules set up by people with all our vanities, biases etc. or those rules established by a more "just" and "objective" natural world ?

I would rather "serve" a "higher power" than wrangle with social rules as I have done for the 40 years of my adult life and there is an extent to which even just being a liveaboard in a funky out of the way marina provides the beginings of a change in that direction.

Reminds me of a honeymoon couple who were chartering in the BVIs who were burnt out after 2 weeks of bareboating..."we didn't realize this would be so much work! We're staying with daysailing!" As I always say to folks who are really starry-eyed about sailing off... it's just another way of living and is filled with plenty of challenge and work. I'm just not working for someone else and I get a better shot at setting some rules myself, I get to be the despot!
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 18:04   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
It may just be the old "grass is greener on the other side . . ." syndrome. Sure there are some real "grating on my psyche" land stuff like zoning boards, condo committees, building permits and inspectors, and a hundred other what I consider intrusions into "my life."

But then again living aboard and cruising can have its own irritants like anchoring / mooring restrictions, marina rules and requirements, potty police, coast guard random inspections, State registration and boat taxes, getting to/from grocery and other stores when you don't have a car, Customs/Immigration hassles and/or costs when moving from country to country, and a hundred others.

So "the other side" looks great until you get there and stay for awhile . . .
I'll admit to not having experience with zoning boards, condo committees, permits, inspectors and other land-based hassles, but I know the Coast Guard, Marine Police, anchoring & mooring restrictions, marina policies, bicycling, no car and customs life.............'never gave it much concern. I'm reminded of riding as a passenger with some friends in their car and how these usually sane people call out in anger at other drivers who are to slow to signal, drive in their way or "cut them off". (I never understand that "cut me off" thing. It's as if nobody should be allowed to change to a lane in front of you?) I still drive rental cars on occasion and never see the problems,- nobody's doing me harm or in my way. So, maybe I'm blessed with the "Pollyanna" syndrome! Maybe people are spending too much time worrying about their glass half empty and not enjoying the drink. Maybe I'm a lucky fool, but I'm taking care and much joy!
Old 10-01-2012, 19:06   #51

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
. . . So, maybe I'm blessed with the "Pollyanna" syndrome! Maybe people are spending too much time worrying about their glass half empty and not enjoying the drink. Maybe I'm a lucky fool, but I'm taking care and much joy!
I would hazard a guess that instead of "Pollyanna" you are afflicted with a positive attitude syndrome. It is my contention at be yee on land or sea, 90% of your "happiness" comes from having a positive attitude towards life and things. And it doesn't hurt to have a short memory for the bad stuff.

By and large I overwhelmingly prefer long term cruising over land living, but I think a lot of that is my "nomadic" chromosomes. I used to get nervous and look over my shoulder if I spent more than 3 days in any location. Now I have gotten that up to 3 weeks before getting "itchy" to move on.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 19:17   #52

Boat: William Garden pilothouse ketch 60' LOA.

Cool I dig it...
wildbillca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 22:21   #53
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Some people (in an attempt to rationalize thier positin in life) say "Things could be worse" and they are still barely squeaking by living in the same mmsery they have endured. While I said "things could be worse, but could also be beter...I am working on better" I am living alot more comffortably on my boat
Old 12-01-2012, 22:55   #54

I'm not quite there yet but working on it. I live by myself and decided its time to do this.
livelyppop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 15:44   #55

Boat: departure 35

We own a farm and my wife used to teach near it but she changed jobs to teach in Corpus Christi. Now we live on a sailboat there during the week and drive 8 hours home on weekends. We do it every week. Its fun.
rrranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 22:07   #56

Having lived on land most of my life I was transferred to Hawaii just after my divorce. I left everything with the ex when the divorce went through so I didn't even have pots and pans. Anyway I was able to workout a deal for a "harbor queen" that had not been out of her slip in more then three years. It took me 8 months between missions to get her sailing that first time (no engine that first time). Then another 8 months to get everything broken that first trip.
I only regretted the choice one time....that very first night I slept on my own boat.
After that I felt like I had found a home and was at home!!
Now, 8 years later, remarried I am starting to look for the next boat. My new wife actually agreed in the wedding voes to live on a boat for 3 to 5 years. Actually I think once on a boat neither of us will be willing to move back on land.
That first sailboat taught me how to rebuild almost every single piece of a boat. From a mast step, to the engine, to rigging, to wiring. It was well worth it to me!

Oh, to answer the question why......Every night I sit here in a house the army lets me live in I find my evening ends very unsatisfied. Why? Because there is no satisfaction, or challenge of living in a nice house. I would rather have an old boat that is a challenge to keep working then a nice house with a fence. Fences are for cattle, not people.

Rambling now so time to get some sleep.
enjoy
free rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 23:24   #57

Boat: Lagoon 440

Great thread.....

WHY??? Because i can!!!!!!
Old 15-01-2012, 05:39   #58

Boat: S2 9.2C
It's really quite simple.
The Mother-in-law doesn't like boats or the water,so needless to say it been a great 2 1/2 years,she never comes to visit
WorldWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 06:06   #59

Living aboard has finally given me inner peace. Sounds hokey, but my previous life ( submariner-10 yrs, coalminer-20 yrs,small business owner-6 yrs) conspired to make me unhappy, unfulfilled, and crazy. When my wife of 30 years agreed to move on board with me, all our friends said it wouldn't last 6months. She a major A type business woman, me a major A type everything. IT HAS set us free. Sold off all our "stuff", cars, house. Moved on board a twenty-five yr old trawler in 2004 and couldn't be happier. It's true it can be challenging, and hard work but we sure love it. We are closer than we've ever been. It's not for all, but I highly recommend it for those few who are up to it.
Dual Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 06:32   #60

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
We enjoy living! On the boat, you are part of the world around you. You notice tides, currents, wind and weather. You make decisions based on the real weather and environment around you, not on a social or contrived calendar. You are free to change the scenery by moving your boat. You have choices.
svpattyd is offline   Reply With Quote