Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2011, 08:24   #16

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft
re: Why Do You Live Aboard?

We live aboard half of the year and the other half we are planning our next getaway. We prefer the solitude of anchoring out in gin clear water and only dock to pick up fuel. While aboard all of lifes worries fall away--our world becomes our immediate surroundings.
Old 27-12-2011, 09:19   #17
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
re: Why Do You Live Aboard?

I have another reason. We're in the middle of a thundershower here, rare at this time of year. I was watching TV and had to turn the volume up because there is so little between me and the rain.

I have a tarp I pull out past the companionway -- an awning -- so I don't have to close everything up when it rains. Between that open companionway and the rain beating on the cabin top, the rain is loud -- and real.

I'm writing a novel, and I'm planning a trip south of here. There's a lovely motel with 1 bedroom apts very moderately priced, and I can sail right up to the dock, stay in the apartment and spread my notes all over the place, and go out for a sail any time I want. I've been there for three days at a time but this spring I'm going to go for a week. The cats hate to ride in the car but love to sail.

I've mostly tuned out the rocking, which is a shame, but I discovered that if I change the dock lines, the boat moves within the slip in a new way, and I feel it again.

I don't see how it could get any better than this.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 03:45   #18

Re: Why Do You Live Aboard?

After reading the many responses here to my question "Why do you live aboard" I think my reasons for choosing the life style are similar to all who posted here and if I were sum it all up in one word that word would be FREEDOM. Seems we have lost many of the freedoms we once had and the world has become a smaller place. It's my way of regaining a sense of individuality, space to move about, a place to relax my head like a fresh breath of air.

I live aboard at a marina for the winter months from Columbus day through to Memorial day, up here in New England (six years now) and for the summer months, I am at an anchorage in a well protected area with my car nearby. Lots of quiet places to sail to and explore within close reach. I sail every weekend to a quiet and secluded harbor for a few days then return back to the busy anchorage. I enjoy the quiet and peacefulness this lifestyle offers me. While I enjoy being alone with my dog, it would be nice to have another companion to share this with though but few women seem share this ideal.
2nd Dog Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 17:37   #19

Boat: Cheoy Lee Clipper 36 - Rapport

When I get up in the morning with my cup of coffee and go out into the cockpit and see 400+ Canadian Geese paddle behind my boat talking to themselves I realize that just about all landlubbers are missing this sight. After 33+ years working on land and living in a house my only concerns now are working on a 36' boat, so my problems are held within that 36 feet, much less stress. I have found that I do not miss chasing after all the things that I wanted when I was a landlubber, no room on board for them now. But I think the best thing I like about living aboard is the simplicity it has given me.

Also these evenings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0448.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	416.9 KB
ID:	35625  
Old 05-01-2012, 17:40   #20

Boat: PAE, Mason, 44 - Music

Cause it is the best place to live!

Zen and the art of liveaboard
ardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 17:42   #21
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardoin View Post
Cause it is the best place to live!
Yep. The best reason to live aboard is because you get to do it in a boat.
Old 05-01-2012, 18:26   #22

Boat: CSY 44 w/o hull# 158 S/V Leighward

Got to go now and sleep on my big Csy 44....When I wake ,I'll walk a hundred Yards to my job in the boatyard!!!!! life is good, have 2 bills, pay is good....life is good....this don't suck!!!!
Old 05-01-2012, 18:36   #23

Boat: Columbia 41

I live aboard because I believe in global warming. Yup, yup. Sunshine and deep water, that's for me. By this time next year I will tie up to the Washington Monument about a third the way up.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 19:11   #24
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd Dog Watch View Post
After reading the many responses here to my question "Why do you live aboard" I think my reasons for choosing the life style are similar to all who posted here and if I were sum it all up in one word that word would be FREEDOM. Seems we have lost many of the freedoms we once had and the world has become a smaller place. It's my way of regaining a sense of individuality, space to move about, a place to relax my head like a fresh breath of air.

I live aboard at a marina for the winter months from Columbus day through to Memorial day, up here in New England (six years now) and for the summer months, I am at an anchorage in a well protected area with my car nearby. Lots of quiet places to sail to and explore within close reach. I sail every weekend to a quiet and secluded harbor for a few days then return back to the busy anchorage. I enjoy the quiet and peacefulness this lifestyle offers me. While I enjoy being alone with my dog, it would be nice to have another companion to share this with though but few women seem share this ideal.

Well, I don't do it for freedom. I do it because when I step outside with Orion directly overhead, incredibly bright and clear when the air is dry and crisp, it just takes my breath away, and because dolphins who hunt at 4AM are amazing, and because I love seeing the manatees swimming lazily by my stern to get to the fresh water spring at the end of the fairway, and because the bioluminescence was beyond amazing, and because the ride -- in the slip -- when the wind was gusting to 50 mph Monday night was better than any artificial roller coaster. I would be free wherever I live. Once you're retired you choose to live freely. Some people are lucky enough to have the kind of work where they can live freely while they work but most of us will be tied to the land until we retire.

I live aboard because first I was born with CP, and by some great miracle, it wasn't severe, and I've spent my life walking and managing to learn to do things like rock climbing, rappelling, spelunking, and now sailing by working hard at it. Then I had breast cancer -- second refrigerator to fall on my head -- and survived that. What am I waiting for before doing this -- the third refrigerator?

Some day, some infirmity will force me back to land. I know that. So I grab today for all it's worth.
Old 05-01-2012, 19:12   #25

Boat: Looking for a new boat

I have a mote and a gangplank around my home and I am a rebel.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 19:12   #26
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsailor View Post
When I get up in the morning with my cup of coffee and go out into the cockpit and see 400+ Canadian Geese paddle behind my boat talking to themselves I realize that just about all landlubbers are missing this sight. After 33+ years working on land and living in a house my only concerns now are working on a 36' boat, so my problems are held within that 36 feet, much less stress. I have found that I do not miss chasing after all the things that I wanted when I was a landlubber, no room on board for them now. But I think the best thing I like about living aboard is the simplicity it has given me.

Also these evenings.

Oh my gosh that's GORGEOUS!!! You're right, the simplicity is a big part of it. I like not having so many "things."
Old 06-01-2012, 06:42   #27

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul

Why not?
Tom
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:04   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Why Do You Live Aboard?

I'm Agrophobic....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:22   #29

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Some flippant answers are: I don't like cutting grass, or shoveling snow.

Others have mentioned the new and glorious experiences visually and physically of living onboard a boat - but some of the practical reasons are:
- Confined/limited space acts like a limiter on how much stuff you can buy and put on the boat. Nick-nacks and other similar stuff doesn't really work on a boat as it would have to be physically attached so boat movement doesn't break it. Same with just about everything else from clothing, shoes, books, magazines, and all the stuff that clutters up a much large land-home - you are limited by the boat's relatively smaller size/volume.
- Forced exercise. If in a marina you need to hike to the shore-side bathroom/showers in all kinds of weather. And you have to (like a rabbit) climb up out of your "home" and then descend down back into your "home" many times per day. Add in "isometric" exercises as you hang upside down like a snake from a tree branch trying to get at something in the bilge or engine area.
- All in all, a simplified lifestyle due to lack of space and storage for "trash/junk" foods. IMHO, this leads to a healthier lifestyle that is more akin to what our grandparents or further back experienced - coupled with some "modern" conveniences. Sort of, best of both worlds. . .
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:40   #30

Boat: Pearson Triton 28

While we don't quite liveaboard yet (we're setting off this June), I'm pretty excited to have a bathtub that is full of Lobster and Dorado.