Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2009, 16:55   #151

Boat: Far From Turtle: 1980 Pearson 424 cutter rigged ketch
wrong b'day

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
Don't worry about this one either! AARP is a private membership organization. They start hounding you to join on your 55th birthday.
they start on b'day 50
First Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 18:02   #152

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
They must need more money to lobby for health care.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2009, 16:02   #153

I am looking into a few places near Jacksonville, NC and have only found two, one being more than an hour drive to work. But it would still be worth it. I am looking at living aboard for the next 6 years learning how to sail and keep up the boat until I retire and can go around the world. "taking a few years of course" I don't own much and am very organized but I can understand about those who leave stuff all about but that is not me and very annonying just to look at.
burgos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 13:45   #154
cruiser

I've known marina operators who like liveaboards, as free security guards. Its the bureaucrats, working at the request of the real estate industry , breathing down their necks, who are the source of the problem.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 16:28   #155

Boat: Cal 2-30
Within this discussion about liveaboards, does that include a stay of 3 - 5 or 6 months at a given marina? Or does that fall into the category of “negotiating a longer contract”?
I lived aboard a Catalina 27 for three years and have spent the last four years sucking up the dust of the southwest. I planning a move back aboard in late summer or early winter.
I never had too much of a problem before when searching for places to live aboard on the hook or dockside, I cruised from the west coast of Florida to Maine. However, it does sound as though some things have changed for the worst in the past years. Or am I just imagining that from all the dim discussion I’ve just finished reading?

I will be on the boat fulltime but not in the same place year round. Does anyone have suggestions or information on securing a slip for that amount of time? Would I be scrutinized as a liveaboard under a marina’s eye or just in some seasonal category?
Ujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 17:04   #156
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
extended stay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ujin View Post
Within this discussion about liveaboards, does that include a stay of 3 - 5 or 6 months at a given marina?
Some marinas around here have an "extended stay" category for those who fall in between the transient and liveaboard categories. If such is the case, you can count on paying the full liveaboard price.
Old 23-02-2010, 17:12   #157
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by First Mate View Post
they start on b'day 50
OMG....I turn "old" in four months.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 12:26   #158

Hi everyone,
I am a Belgian liveaboard and have lived for quite a while in a yachtclub/marina in Nieuwpoort. Now moored at an old boatyard in Ghent (Belgium), I follow, in spite of my age (48), adult school for a third degree (high school) diploma human sciences. For my final work I just chose the theme liveaboards, from a sociological point of view, and would like to spread my questionnaire about in order to get a view of how and why poeple chose to live this kind of life. There is no limit to what kind of boat or people and their way of cruising (or living), nor are they any questions that would permit to identify the person or his (her) whereabouts. If anyone would like to sustain my project, please let me know and I 'll send my questionnaire. E-mail is: petervandenhirtz@hotmail.fr
Regards,
Pepite
pepite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 13:11   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Some marinas around here have an "extended stay" category for those who fall in between the transient and liveaboard categories. If such is the case, you can count on paying the full liveaboard price.
Bash: does the extended stay category have the same waiting list? The live-aboard lists are very long in the Bay area from what I have seen.

A
ASenchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 19:15   #160

Re: Why Do Marinas Seem to Hate Liveaboards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Hmm, that was me 20 years ago living aboard @ Salt River Marina in St. Croix....
I had the broken down car, I was always leaving stuff on the dock, doing the painting, etc, etc.

The manager was nice and kept reminding me about the junker car that stopped running 3 months ago.
Finally I had somebody tow it away, cleared my stuff from the docks and straightened up..Been there, done that.

We left plenty of money at marina however, mainly at the bar.

Anybody else lived in Salt River?

As a Crucian, born and raised, even though this post is years old, and I haven't introduced myself yet, I had to respond. Although I've never lived on Salt River, I know people who have. There was an old captain on a catamaran anchored near the old abandoned church. I forgot his name.

Anyhow, as a young man we became friends, and I remember paddling out on his canoe to tour his catamaran.

One another note, I totally stumbled upon this forum, and this post via google searching. Was happy just reading and lurking, but this post forced me to join in order to be able to reply.

Salute!

James
James St. Croix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 20:04   #161

Are you still at Magothy Marina? I literally just found that place less than a week ago and moved my boat there.

Seems like a real nice marina, but I haven't been there even a full week yet, so not enough time to form a full impression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
I'd almost forgotten that I started this thread. Since I did, I found a suitable liveaboard marina in Severna Park, just north of Annapolis.

The folks at Magothy Marina offered me a 40' liveaboard slip (for my 37' cutter) without the runaround and the "waiting lists" of the others. Nice piers and facilities. There are half a dozen year-round liveaboards and a few more that don't winter there.

The liveaboard fee is a bit steep - $150/month and there's more motion than I'd like in the summer on the weekends (damn powerboats!), but other than that, no complaints.

Magothy Marina
Old 14-10-2014, 13:34   #162
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Have we met? I'm on j-23

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 14-10-2014, 14:00   #163

Not yet but we soon will. Next time I'm down I'll definitely stop by to say high.

Been sailing my little Catalina 22 out of there every weekend for the past month. So glad I found this place. The facilities are top notch.

Getting ready to go in on a partnership on a nice Columbia 26 MKII.

I'm a lifelong power boater but I've wanted to learn to sail all my life.
Old 01-02-2015, 16:27   #164

Boat: Newport

The marinas don't hate the liveaboards, they hate the degenerate liveaboards -

I've been living aboard for 7 years and have always gotten plenty of love from the marina.

But, I make a point of keeping things ship shape and I stay employed.
Captain Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 17:12   #165

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Curran View Post
The marinas don't hate the liveaboards, they hate the degenerate liveaboards -

I've been living aboard for 7 years and have always gotten plenty of love from the marina.

But, I make a point of keeping things ship shape and I stay employed.
Some livaboards are regular people who prefer to live on a boat. Some livaboards are essentially hobos who can't afford a real home and have little pride in themselves and what they do have.

Tags
marinas