Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2015, 14:22   #376
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Why Do Cruising Couples Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
If you have do it yourself yards great. That seems to be a thing of the past.
I notice that your location is identified as SC. This made me consider that if the SC is South Carolina, then you can find some DIY yards; however, if SC means Southern California I understand your plight.
Old 21-10-2015, 15:30   #377

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I notice that your location is identified as SC. This made me consider that if the SC is South Carolina, then you can find some DIY yards; however, if SC means Southern California I understand your plight.
We never had a problem findings a place to do our own work in San Diego or Long Beach.
Old 21-10-2015, 16:48   #378
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
We never had a problem findings a place to do our own work in San Diego or Long Beach.
This is good to hear. All that I've had is second hand information from the US west coast. People have said that you can not do your own work because of environmental restrictions. I had the impression from former posts that California restricted activities of repair and maintenance on the hard to sanctioned marine providers. Could this just be bottom cleaning and painting restrictions? ....or can anyone (including DIY) complete work if they follow proper procedures. I know that Florida requires the collection of bottom scrapings in tarps or plastic sheeting and the marinas are responsible for DIY clients following the rules. I've also seen people ignoring these requirements.

I have heard of some marinas discontinuing DIY opportunities because they did not want to be accountable for those that were not their employees.
Old 22-10-2015, 06:07   #379

Boat: Cape Dory 33

We left SoCal in 2003 so things could have changed but we did extensive restoration work to several boats in San Diego and had a yard that was awesome to work with. If anyone is looking they can PM me.
Old 24-10-2015, 07:40   #380

Boat: still looking for the right Tri
Fulfill 13 cliches (in women's mind) and you easily break the relationship as man...

If following 13 cliches are fulfilled (by a man + sailor) as following and documented on the blog of Claire Shefchik I'd not wonder about that couples quit.

Claire's latest blog couple days ago (20th October) has the headline:
"13 reasons you should never date a sailor"

Quote:
1. You’ll mistake a sailor’s boundless enthusiasm for sailing for boundless enthusiasm for you.
I mean, there’s nothing more romantic than sitting perched on a deck box, shoulder to shoulder, watching a sailor’s skillful hands shape those endless bowlines and stoppers as he explains his methods... bla, bla, bla...

2. Sailors mansplain and make you feel stupid.

Carrying all that ancient seafaring knowledge around with them, sailors are invariably wicked smart and can teach you things about currents and tides and maritime regulations that will leave your head spinning... bla, bla, bla....

3. You won’t always be able to accompany him on his exotic windswept adventures.
The Galapagos? Zanzibar? Sri Lanka? Antarctica? They’re all at your fingertips with a sailor at your side. Of course, like the rest of us, you live in the real world... bla, bla, bla...

4. Sailors party harder than anyone.

Why wouldn’t they, when they just spent a month at sea stone cold sober, working 12-hour days? However, you may find the bacchanal ending abruptly when he flips the dinghy trying to get back to the boat at 4am after one too many Windhoeks... bla, bla, bla....

5. That postcard he’s frantically scribbling isn’t really to his mother.
Yes, a “girl in every port” is a saying for a reason, but it’s not that simple. If there’s anything a sailor likes more than having a girl in every port, it’s having a girl he’s known since high school to joyfully meet him when he gets home.... bla, bla, bla...

6. Sailors think differently about monogamy than us landlubbers.
Speaking of that “girl in every port” thing, how is it cheating when you know you’ll never see the person again, and when his girlfriend could never possibly find out? ... bla, bla, bla...

7. Sailors are uncivilized.

Hey, after two months at sea, crammed into a testosterone-fueled cabin with no contact with the outside world, you’d go feral, too. ... bla, bla, bla...

8. You won’t always share their sense of humor.

Sailors are hilarious, it’s true — they’ll crack you up with jokes they honed sitting in the wheelhouse during those endless night watches. But when you — or your body, or your sexual habits... bla, bla, bla...

9. Don’t expect to be whisked away on a luxury yacht as a reward for sticking around.
Sailors’ wages are always crap, and whatever money they do make goes on beer. Even if they do manage to save up enough money to buy their own boat (as all sailors are trying to do) chances are it will be a rotting hunk of junk, because boats are expensive to maintain... bla, bla, bla...

10. On land, be prepared to spend time in some dim, cramped apartment or trailer with no curtains on the windows.
Why bother paying for a nice house if they’re always going to be at sea, anyway?... bla, bla, bla...

11. Sailors casually joke about seeing prostitutes and see nothing wrong with it.

Despite the cliche, they may not always engage in prostitution, but they will definitely talk about doing so... bla, bla, bla...

12. They have their own language that unless you’re a sailor you could never hope to understand.
They will talk it with their colleagues endlessly while you’re in earshot, and forget to fill you in... bla, bla, bla...

13. You always learn the hard way that they belong to the ocean, they belong to the world — and not only to you.

Sailors live on their charm. In a pub, the sailor is the one everybody wants to be near. They can spin you yarns for hours from all the ports they’ve seen, all the storms they’ve battled, all the sunsets they’ve watched. Their hands are strong, adept and gentle, and when they look at you... bla, bla, bla...
Here to read the fully blog post:
13 reasons you should never date a sailor - Matador Network

I really wonder what is going in the mind of this "female land rat". She has nothing understood from real (sailor's) life I suppose and dreaming around to create "old stigmas and bad images" in 21st century.
Skip JayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 07:53   #381

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

She is only referring to an 18 year old enlisted Seaman. Probably met him during fleet week. While he is doing his best to live up to his testosterone fueled ideal, the reality is most of this comes from his buddies, who are exaggerating in an effort to boost their pals reputation.
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising