Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2015, 08:05   #16

Re: Why did you run away to sea?

I spent 37 yrs at sea in one professional capacity or another before settling into an office based job. While I enjoy being at home, I often think about my future plans of purchasing a boat and being a sea gypsy. Some say the sea can infect your bloodstream and they would not be wrong. There is nothing like the solitude of being alone that allows your body to purge your soul and find peace from this sometimes unfathomable world.
subs57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:06   #17

Born of the sea, and once 'she' is in your veins ......................forget anything else.

Obviously a 'land lubber' who coined the "Run away" to sea. No..................one is drawn to the mistress, and once done there is no ever going back.
wugwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:08   #18

I wanted to see new places, experience new cultures and fell in love with the lifestyle. I have been out here cruising nearly 2 years. I still have a home in Texas, but have no desire to stop cruising yet!
funset20012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:21   #19

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by subs57 View Post
I spent 37 yrs at sea in one professional capacity or another before settling into an office based job. While I enjoy being at home, I often think about my future plans of purchasing a boat and being a sea gypsy. Some say the sea can infect your bloodstream and they would not be wrong. There is nothing like the solitude of being alone that allows your body to purge your soul and find peace from this sometimes unfathomable world.
+1,Subs... Cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:25   #20
LNL

Boat: still a waterfront lot

I have always loved the water. Grew up swim racing. My husband grew up sailing. I still work at a pool! So many people around us started dropping dead at such young ages. We figured we may not make it until retirement, so why not go early? We are in the process of selling it all and buying a boat. Our goal is the early part of 2017 to be heading out. Why not? We are working to support our house, pay property taxes, Heat bills, electric bills, car loans, gas. My husband goes away to work at camp. What kind of life is that? It is not going to be any more expensive out on the water. Life is way to short and you never know how short. Might as well enjoy life as much as we can, while we can.
LNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:31   #21

I was following a cute Norwegian girl back in the 60s. She loved the sea and I loved her. Love will do that to you. Helped that we had one of the family's old schooners to float our connubial passions.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:42   #22

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

Yes, no matter where you go; there you are.
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:43   #23

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

I sailed away to sea not to escape life but to keep life from escaping me.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:49   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelratinter View Post
Yes, no matter where you go; there you are.
That is very Zen of you.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:56   #25

Growing up in Iowa, I was fascinated by the oceans of the world. I tried to turn grandpa's rowboat/troller into a sailboat with a wool blanket for a sail.

Learned to sail when I moved out west. Bought a 14.2 and then a Catalina 270 for sailing on Lake Tahoe.

Now I am retired. Coverted part of my 401k into a 45 foot ocean going ketch. Motor sailed her from San Pedro to Bodega Harbor with the help of some good friends. Next stop Hawaii, Tahiti, Buenos Aires, et al.

My advice: Don't wait til you are 69 to sail the ocean. Just do it!
Old 01-12-2015, 08:58   #26

Reed1v, I have noticed that people who run away are often running away from themselves.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:03   #27

Mike, before sailing to Hawaii try to arrange a slip at the Ala Wai small boat harbor in WackyKey. Your first port probably will be Hilo, and they normally have lots of spaces for visitors. Not so for Oahu. So plan ahead. If you can, join a yacht club so you can use one of the three clubs on Oahu(Waikiki, Hawaii, and Kaneohe YC). They usually have visitor spaces available and have food, showers, and so forth available.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:06   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelratinter View Post
Reed1v, I have noticed that people who run away are often running away from themselves.
So your saying life is mostly a repeat of North By Northwest, but instead of a plane its life itself chasing oneself?
Old 01-12-2015, 09:11   #29
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

first of all, you are PRESUMING that many with the call to be in the ocean are running away from something
secondly , you PRESUME those who have the call to be at sea are running. period.
get over that. if you are actually running away from something, that something is yourself and yourself goes wherever you go , so quit yer foolishness with the running nonsense. runners lose and leave this lifestyle, as they seek that which they will never find, which is hidden right before their eyes, inside them.
life on water is one of two things. it is either enjoyed or it is hated. those who run away are seeking to find.. that aint happening,dood--never will, those are the ones hating this hrd work kinda living. those not running away are enjoying a rewarding, to them, lifestyle where they wanna be and doing that which they wanna do. they are also well in tune with their inner beings.
or still seeking never to find.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:16   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
So your saying life is mostly a repeat of North By Northwest, but instead of a plane its life itself chasing oneself?
LOL! More like, some people are unhappy and keep moving thinking a new place will make them happy while, all the time, the source of their unhappiness is within. That is "running away" as opposed to running to experience, advebture, etc.