Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2019, 17:57   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CHB/MT D/C Trawler, 34'
Re: Who’s pumped for a heat pump—-> this guy!

The newer heat pumps are a far cry from what was available just a few years ago. I’d go 16k on a 34’ power boat 12k on a sailboat.
Moosemiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 18:54   #32

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosemiester View Post
The newer heat pumps are a far cry from what was available just a few years ago. I’d go 16k on a 34’ power boat 12k on a sailboat.

Long way? How so?

Also you think a 12k would be right for a 33’ sail boat?
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 19:05   #33

I did a lot of research and ended up going with the domestic turbo model with heat pump option. I'm very happy with my choice after over a year. They really shine in the Spring and Fall as when you set the temperature, it will warm you in the evening and cool you during the day, without touching a button. Just my 0.2c worth. If you are in or near the Chesapeake Bay and are looking for a dealer installer is be happy to refer you to the person I used.

Lower prices on Defender.com and DIY installation can make an otherwise unaffordable project affordable, but not without cost. Know that unless installed by a Domestic dealer, any problems will be flagged as an installation error and not their problem FYI. It's also nice to have someone you've met to call with questions or issues.
OneHullPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 19:11   #34

True. I ended up installing two identical systems, one in each end of the boat blowing to the center. On hot days I run both. At night I turn one off. It's one solution but not a cheap one, but I'm a sucker for redundancy.
OneHullPaul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump