Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-02-2016, 12:41   #46

Re: Who "Owns" What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Here is the rule I learned, and teach my kids:

"Never put anything on the internet you wouldn't want to see on the front page of the newspaper!"

There are no secrets on the internet. If its sensitive or private, just don't say it.
Excellent advice!

I always use "writing an email to mom" instead of the paper, since I'm much more concerned about her opinion than the usual crap on the front page. If only everyone else felt the same way.

Old 15-02-2016, 12:46   #47

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Again, everyone, thank you for the replies.

My big takeaway is that the internet is never private, doh!

I guess I also needed to be reminded that people we're trusting are only human and therefore subject to occasional lapses of judgment--especially me!

I'd like to thank Polux for so many suggestions.

Empty Pockets, you're right, in a way, because the feeling of being ripped off is part of what generates the potentially unethical behavior.

Evans, thanks so much for the chuckle you gave me over my morning's cup of tea.

Ann

Old 15-02-2016, 12:47   #48

Ann, if a photo was given to me as a gift. It is now mine. I can do with it whatever I like. As far as someone sending the contents of a private email that I wrote to another person is scandalous. I am not sure of the legalities of such a tasteless venture...but it is in poor form. I would have nothing to do with such a person after that. Deeply hurtful and betrayal of trust and friendship...for sure.
Old 15-02-2016, 12:50   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Ann,

I hate seeing cut and pastes. If it is not a full quote it is often out of context.
Those that indulge it that should go into politics.
Agreed! That's a very dishonest tactic!
Old 15-02-2016, 13:00   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

A close relative is a solicitor in the UK, specializing in Intellectual Property ( Technical ) Law.
Says business is booming, over who owns what. Practices in German, French, Castillan and Catalan.
Says it is fun -- sometimes
Old 15-02-2016, 13:12   #51

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Again, everyone, thank you for the replies.

My big takeaway is that the internet is never private, doh!

I guess I also needed to be reminded that people we're trusting are only human and therefore subject to occasional lapses of judgment--especially me!

I'd like to thank Polux for so many suggestions.

Empty Pockets, you're right, in a way, because the feeling of being ripped off is part of what generates the potentially unethical behavior.

Evans, thanks so much for the chuckle you gave me over my morning's cup of tea.

Ann
People now have not changed so much from people years ago. It's more of a situation of the ease that information can get out there and the amount of people who can hear/read/see the "leaked" information. Tech makes what would have been a small whisper into a loud scream that many can hear.
Old 15-02-2016, 13:13   #52

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Quote:
Some people

JMHO
Quote:
It just doesn't strike me
Make a point would ya!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 13:17   #53

Unless you have a copyright, or patent, or trademark; then whatever you produced or bought is unprotected. Even if you have one of the above, you need to defend it or lose it. Unless there are big bucks involved, the cost of defending is not worth the effort($10k min).
Old 15-02-2016, 13:32   #54

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

If I press send... It goes to who knows where. I don't put anything my Grandmother would be offended by on the net.

If I give a gift, it is theirs. They get first shot as to how to use it.
Old 15-02-2016, 13:40   #55

Interesting. I saw a post yesterday that I thought to myself might not go over well, even though it was meant to be humorous. Sure enough, it's gone.

There was a website that made a new forum about 10 yrs ago just for women, called "The Hen House." I bet you can already see where this was going. They selected a new female moderator who was young and immature, and in my not so humble opinion, totally lacking in the attributes that make a good moderator. Like maturity, good judgement, intelligence, education, the wisdom of King Solomon, etc. This was all in addition to the fact that her illegitimate child was the offspring of her fiance's best friend/roommate and born to be the 4th generation recipient of welfare. No, seriously, I could not, would not make this stuff up.

Well, apparently some of these women felt it was prudent to share the most intimate details of their lives, their hated bosses, their despised husbands, their lovers, their kids and future plans to run away from husbands and kids. Apparently once one woman told all about her shiftless husband, it became a game of one upmanship with each succeeding wife revealing even more repulsive info about her life mate.

Not in a million years would I have thought that a moderator would take all of those posts, quote them all into one large post, then post that on the general forum of the website!! It was like dumping 4 or 5 diaries right on the front page of the Enquirer.

The post only lasted about 15 minutes, but that was long enough for a few people to cut and save the post. Phone calls got made, a mod got fired and banned immediately (she later dropped off the social calendar and moved to another state with her welfare and baby daddy,) a few couples got divorced, a lot of kids cried (who would ever want to find out their mother told everyone she hated them?) and a few went in for some counseling.

The worst part was it was a website for a specific region of the country, so most of the members knew each other in real life, including the ones who were having affairs, obviously. It was a rude awakening for a LOT of people, including the forum owner, who I had specifically warned against using her as a mod as soon as he announced it. She ended up being far worse than even I predicted.

It was a train wreck to end all train wrecks, and yet some of them still did not learn. A year later, a middle aged lady posted that she was making $60K/yr working in a gov't office doing nothing but gossiping and searching for recipes all day. She and 5 of her co-workers all started talking trash about their supervisors via work email.

One of them made a stupid comment to her supervisor's face about not being well liked in the office. This led to her email being read by upper mgmt, who then read all emails of all 6 employees. This revealed that none of them were doing anything productive and worse, talking some really big smack about their bosses (the employees and bosses were all female.)

Two of the women were asked to quit, when they refused, fired on the spot. The other 4 were put on 6 months probation and given a chance to straighten out, which I was amazed to hear. 6 months later, only 1 of the 4 had figured out how to get any work done, so she was spared and the other 3 were asked to quit. 2 of them refused and were fired. Our little genius, who was constantly updating her thread on all of this, agreed to quit, then promptly applied for unemployment!! The entire time she maintained that her emails were private and they had no right to read them! No, her last name was most definitely not Einstein.

Those 2 cautionary tales are forever burned into my memory just because of the sheer audacity, lack of judgement and incredible wreckage involved. Once something is out there in email or the net, you have no control over it. You never really know where it will end up.

Just ask Anthony Weiner, the fool who sends pics of his junk to younger women. TWICE he got thrown to the press by an opportunistic young lass. Talk about thinking with the wrong appendage!! LOL
Old 15-02-2016, 13:49   #56
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

1) Depends upon Forum rules but I'd consider it rude to 'cut and paste' a private correspondence into a public posting
2) A gift is a gift except when it isn't... Again, good manners would suggest that the right to use the image was transferred to the recipient unless copyrights were withheld (and as a former professional photographer this is more than an academic issue for me!)
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 13:52   #57

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Unless you have a copyright, or patent, or trademark; then whatever you produced or bought is unprotected. Even if you have one of the above, you need to defend it or lose it. Unless there are big bucks involved, the cost of defending is not worth the effort($10k min).
Same goes for spreading slander and libel received by pm, if there's enough money in it you can sue.
Old 15-02-2016, 14:09   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
Same goes for spreading slander and libel received by pm, if there's enough money in it you can sue.
When I first read your post, it looked to me like you were using slander and libel interchangeably. A few seconds later I changed my interpretation of it. I'm sure you can see how ambiguous that "and" is between the two.
Old 15-02-2016, 14:19   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
What's Jim think?

Carstonb seems to have summed it up.

Forwarding on letters/posts/emails, intended to be 'private' without consent is a no no in my book. Though, that consent is not needed in my book if the person was being abusive, threatening, bullying or in any other way doing the wrong thing.
Therein lies the rub. Your concept of "doing" the wrong thing" may differ from mine.

FWIW, my opinion on the first question is.

Legally, it's a grey area. It depends on the jurisdiction(s) involved.
Morally - in general, it stinks.

But there are also shades of grey. Does the published information explicitly or potentially identify the original sender? Does the published information contain information that is detrimental to a third party? IOW, to a certain extent, no harm - no foul.
Old 15-02-2016, 14:26   #60

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Therein lies the rub. Your concept of "doing" the wrong thing" may differ from mine.

FWIW, my opinion on the first question is.

Legally, it's a grey area. It depends on the jurisdiction(s) involved.
Morally - in general, it stinks.

But there are also shades of grey. Does the published information explicitly or potentially identify the original sender? Does the published information contain information that is detrimental to a third party? IOW, to a certain extent, no harm - no foul.

something posted anonymously....someone would have to come forward and "own the information" by admitting it was them who posted the private anonymous information......now what you have is someone who is choosing to out themself by making the claim to something they did not want out there in their name (assuming no names were mentioned).

All that being said, there is right and wrong and legal and illegal. Just because something is right does not make it legal, just because something is wrong does not make it illegal, etc...etc...

if you say it out loud, it's not yours to keep secret anymore. People must realize that once you tell something to someone you can't control what they do with that information. Even with a contract, it's only good if the person follows the contract. A contract in and of itself is no guarantee.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: