Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2012, 17:48   #1

Which school curriculum/company

Does anyone have any advice/likes/dislikes about school curriculum/companies?

We have 2 kids (would be going into 2nd and 4th grades if were weren't taking off).

We have never home schooled (but are looking forward to it) and have no formal educational experience (although I did some TA'ing in grad school).

I am curious what are the more popular home schooling systems for cruisers out there. I figure with intermittent internet access you probably want something with full content (workbooks, teachers editions etc), is that best? And if so which ones do you recommend?

Thanks
kkreeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 18:12   #2

Google "The Well Trained Mind", get a copy, and read it.
jrambo316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 19:23   #3

Boat: Looking for a new ride
Thumbs up Re: Which school curriculum/company

You are at a great age to be homeschooling. Because it is so easy at their age. I have been homeschooling since 2001 and graduated my first daughter last year and off to college she went. Then I have one other daughter and she is a high school senior this year and then off to college she will go.
I used all the way up to 8th grade ABEKA curriculum. You can purchase the kit for each grade and it will have in it all the student text books, workbooks, test books, quiz books, teacher lessons, teacher answer books, and such. I personally would not mess with Internet at those grade levels.
Remember to keep it simple and fun for them at that age. By having the books you can do it on your time with no worries of trying to be on the Internet at a particular day and time. To much stress that is not needed.Good luck!
TexasTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 21:49   #4

Re: Which school curriculum/company

Thanks TexasTwo. Were you out cruising while home schooling?

Did you register with your "home" state? I am a bit confused where a lot of the web pages talk about registering with your state or offering an "international" school that costs a lot more.

One other question, on the A Beka Book web page there are "Kits" for each grade but also individual subject material too. How do you choose what all to buy (out on the boat, it won't be easy to add things you want later)
kkreeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 06:47   #5

Go to hslda dot org for information regarding applicable laws in your state. You should also consider joining.
jrambo316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 16:38   #6

Boat: Looking for a new ride

Maybe u can answer a couple of questions for me too. My husband and I want to do the sailing/cruising thing. I guess first we have to sale our home that is on 60 acres in the Texas Hill Country. Then find a boat. My husband is doing lots of reading to figure things out. Any advice, boat type, size, certifications in sailing, and such.
So for u , no we did not school and cruise. Newbies on the sailing thing. In Texas we do not have to register with the district or the state. So check with ur state to see if they require you to or not.
Your next question about the kits... I would suggest the student and parent kit. They have all the subjects and everything you need in the kits. The other kits r individual subjects. If u have a student that might be doing subjects in different grades then the individual subjects would work for u then. Another item I suggest in purchasing is the concept cards to go with ur subjects. They are so very helpful.
Joining the hslda.org like the other reply suggested would b helpful for u too.
TexasTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 17:18   #7

Boat: Outremer 5X

We're researching the same - we thought about a tutor, but decided to do it ourselves, it seems to as others have said a question of home much you want to conform to someone's schedule rather than yours.

The two biggest ones you can buy with options of online testing and online tutoring etc are:

Homeschool Curriculum | Homeschooling | Calvert School

K12 | Online Public School, Online High School, Online Private School, Homeschooling, and Online Courses options

Our two will be going into 5th and 7th grades when we leave. We were looking for something secular, so abeka type approach won't suit our needs.
dan360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 17:21   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

Quote:
My husband and I want to do the sailing/cruising thing. I guess first we have to sale our home that is on 60 acres in the Texas Hill Country. Then find a boat. My husband is doing lots of reading to figure things out. Any advice, boat type, size, certifications in sailing, and such.
You have a huge agenda on your plate so best to divide and conquer. Selecting a boat is pretty complicated mostly because it's more about you than it is the boat. It's my best advice I can offer. Improve the captain and crew before you leave makes the best trip. It is more like getting a new suit. It needs to fit you.

Home schooling is yet another area that isn't really related but of course very important. That says nothing about how you manage the finances and budget. You just need to step back and start taking each problem one at a time knowing there are no magic answers as far as being about you! You don't need to be like someone else!

This process needs to be making a lot of information fit into what you really want and need. To be honest just asking for ideas cold isn't all that productive. A lot of people make a lot of different things work for them. Knowing 6 different ways isn't so easy as picking the one you think you like. It is more about making the choices fit you! You may need to learn more about yourseleves and to be honest a one week charter some place will open your eyes so wide you'll think you never knew anything before you left. It costs money up froint but it gets your head right. You need the space to figure out what you don't know you don't know yet. Find ways to reveal these things in ways that are fun and productive. The adventure could start now even if you don't leave for a while. Making processes for figuring new things out needs communication and dillegence. Learn now how to do that and your time away will feel comfortable as you face new things. You can learn to love the unknown!

There is a million questions you need to ask and sort out. If you read a lot here on CF you'll find most of them but you need to read a lot. Understanding what you want is a lot about knowing what you need. How you do it is all about you! You don't have to become someone else! We really don't know you that well yet so join in the posting and discussions! The participation is the best therapy we offer. It's got others off the land and into a boat many times.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:56   #9

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkreeger View Post
Does anyone have any advice/likes/dislikes about school curriculum/companies?

We have 2 kids (would be going into 2nd and 4th grades if were weren't taking off).

We have never home schooled (but are looking forward to it) and have no formal educational experience (although I did some TA'ing in grad school).

I am curious what are the more popular home schooling systems for cruisers out there. I figure with intermittent internet access you probably want something with full content (workbooks, teachers editions etc), is that best? And if so which ones do you recommend?

Thanks
I will start by offering what I was looking for when I started this process. Don't worry about it....and don't over think it! I know you are doing both, as a parent that is you job!

I looked at the Calverts and K12's. But the whole reason why my daughter is in home school is because the public schools want to offer a 'packaged deal' and well....all kids are not the same. For some families/kids these packaged curriculum works well. But not for my little one! So I have a mixture of curriculum. If you walk into about any Books a Million or Barnes and Noble, you will find a section on various homeschooling options. Singapore Math and Spectrum Reading are two of my favorites. A friend of mine sent me a link for a kids nutritional web site for a health curriculum, etc.

We are currently not cruising and we are registered with our local DOE office, and in the event that we do move aboard we will stay with this.

I would like to add, that after my first year of teaching my daughter tested at a third grade level on her first grade CAT5. I am not a teacher by profession and I only have a very short amount of teaching experience in that I taught English in China for a short period of time. So, again in reinforce.......don't worry about it and don't over think it!
Gelfling is offline   Reply With Quote