Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2015, 00:08   #46

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft
Re: Which boat layout is best for liveaboard couple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMac View Post
Ha, I do appreciate you trying to sell us on the best boat out there! You are the best thing that ever happened to Amel! Maybe I'll catch the religion yet.

We saw those Rassy's-very nice rides, but too much boat for us. Probably 42-44' is about right for us two, depending upon length at the water line. We are downsizing from a large house, so we're still adjusting to our new potential home.
Hello Julie,

Luckily, an Amel is not about religion but about common sense and rational decision regarding a specific plan to circle our planet. My plan may be more ambitious than your own.

I went through all your questions regarding the choice of boat less than 2 years ago. For a couple leaving a large home, you will be very challenged to fit what remains of your "stuff" into a 42-44 footer and retain any of the luxuries you've been accustomed to. Try a few windless days at anchor in 35C weather with 100% humidity without AC as an example. (Amel = pull out cockpit cushions and sleep on deck... or run the genset and AC in your cabin)

We looked at all your front runners and each one had restrictions for either me or the GF. For instance, under floor tanks which require a step in the floor plan or cabinets built less than a foot above your feet when you lie in the bunk.

A centerline double is not a good plan... IMO of course. Because you cannot have a lee cloth without some Rube Goldberg arrangement to keep you in bed. It was an easy decision when I approached the "spend the bucks" stage. The Amels are intelligently built on most aspects. Some folks will never like the looks though but just 1 week aboard would make you appreciate the cleverness..

I will continue to look for your criterion and forward contenders as I find them... in Euro land as I live here now. Soon gone though.

:-)
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:06   #47

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMac;1764594[COLOR="Navy"
]Ha, I do appreciate you trying to sell us on the best boat out there! You are the best thing that ever happened to Amel! Maybe I'll catch the religion yet. We saw those Rassy's-very nice rides, but too much boat for us. Probably 42-44' is about right for us two, depending upon length at the water line. We are downsizing from a large house, so we're still adjusting to our new potential home.[/COLOR]
Hi JuliMac: Although I'm half French, half Canadian -I arrived in Montreal when I was 7 year old - I would choose a Halberg Rassy over an Amel 'cause of their teak decks even though I'm lazy as I can be, I'm NOT improving with the years & teak decks mean more maintenance...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M07.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	98300   Click image for larger version

Name:	M16.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	98301  

ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:04   #48

How can a "tabarnac de maudit français" give good advice to an American?

Kidding Alain. I am Canadian too soon to go RTW...
Old 04-03-2015, 08:19   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
How can a "tabarnac de maudit français" give good advice to an American?
Kidding Alain. I am Canadian too soon to go RTW...
Hi Eleuthera ! When I was getting my Ericson 34 ready for my 11 days solo passage from NC to St Martin (FWI) I met an American sailor who was doing the antifouling on his second Amel, both in the 45/50 foot range. He had done a round the world trip on his first Amel, sold it & bought another one ! If a round the world trip is not the best test, tell me what is ? I'm only sad I didn't take his name/email... The (otherwise very nice) people at Bock Marine didn't answer my emails when I ask them the email of another nice sailor who had helped me installed my Hydrovane windvane... Cheers !
http://bockmarine.com/
PS: When you're home sick, have a look at my "Montréalaise" seen during the annual Jazz festival
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Montréalaise.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	98303  
Old 04-03-2015, 09:26   #50
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

aft head with shower is nice. king sized vee. aft cockpit big enough for evening cocktails. good bimini and weather protection. under 5' draft with cast keel not bolted on. good engine and tank access. stack pack with full batten main. dedicated chart table is nice. wide decks with bulwarks or toe rails. windlass to handle chain and a big anchor. 300 to 400 AH of batteries and lots of fans and lights and a good charge system. dual settees big enough to sleep on. and go with the smallest boat you can live with so you and your partner can sail in comfort
Old 04-03-2015, 10:20   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAIN97133 View Post
Hi Eleuthera ! When I was getting my Ericson 34 ready for my 11 days solo passage from NC to St Martin (FWI) I met an American sailor who was doing the antifouling on his second Amel, both in the 45/50 foot range. He had done a round the world trip on his first Amel, sold it & bought another one ! If a round the world trip is not the best test, tell me what is ? I'm only sad I didn't take his name/email... The (otherwise very nice) people at Bock Marine didn't answer my emails when I ask them the email of another nice sailor who had helped me installed my Hydrovane windvane... Cheers !
Bock Marine
PS: When you're home sick, have a look at my "Montréalaise" seen during the annual Jazz festival
Do you suggest you are an easy rider? Enough of the dread thrift... :big grin:
Old 04-03-2015, 10:33   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
aft head with shower is nice. king sized vee. aft cockpit big enough for evening cocktails. good bimini and weather protection. under 5' draft with cast keel not bolted on. good engine and tank access....
Aft cockpits are nice but have two consequences: 1) If you want a one piece bimini, you have to move the main sheet rail in front of the dodger/spray hood witch is way too far forward to my taste as it put a lot of stress on the roof & boom 2) Forget the nice king/queen size bed with easy access from both sides of the bed
With an aft cabin, you have the full width of the boat available for your king/queen bed & you can have a continuous bimini over the central cockpit with the mainsheet rail aft of the cockpit, linked to the end of the boom where the stress is less

"To determine if your equipment can handle mid-boom sheeting, first contact the boom manufacturer about the strength of the boom. Some booms can be permanently deformed after the sheeting system is moved forward. There are methods of preventing this, such as using multiple attachment points on the boom to spread the load. Second, make sure your mainsheet system can handle the loads. If you have a Midrange traveler that's on the upper end of its working load, you'll probably need to upgrade to a Big Boat traveler system. Third, if you're sheeting by hand, determine if you need different blocks for a greater mechanical advantage."
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CentralCockpit.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	98305  
Old 06-03-2015, 02:17   #53

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

For liveaboard, I mean a fixed genny using the same fuel/tank as the main diesel engine.

My option is to avoid petrol on board, at any cost. And have gas used for cooking only when still.
I hate furling ware, a false practicality in my vision, as I stress on aerodynamics, efficiency, cut, and mechanical reliability of hooks v everything. Aesthetics too is an issue, to me.

I agree with being a strange (black) sheep :-) on these matters.
Free flying sails? Yes! A liveaboard should stop under 2,5kn and forget motoring.... or the final bill may kill the dream (in the Med at least).
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:28   #54

Quote:
Hello Julie,

Luckily, an Amel is not about religion but about common sense and rational decision regarding a specific plan to circle our planet. My plan may be more ambitious than your own.

I went through all your questions regarding the choice of boat less than 2 years ago. For a couple leaving a large home, you will be very challenged to fit what remains of your "stuff" into a 42-44 footer and retain any of the luxuries you've been accustomed to. Try a few windless days at anchor in 35C weather with 100% humidity without AC as an example. (Amel = pull out cockpit cushions and sleep on deck... or run the genset and AC in your cabin)

We looked at all your front runners and each one had restrictions for either me or the GF. For instance, under floor tanks which require a step in the floor plan or cabinets built less than a foot above your feet when you lie in the bunk.

A centerline double is not a good plan... IMO of course. Because you cannot have a lee cloth without some Rube Goldberg arrangement to keep you in bed. It was an easy decision when I approached the "spend the bucks" stage. The Amels are intelligently built on most aspects. Some folks will never like the looks though but just 1 week aboard would make you appreciate the cleverness..

I will continue to look for your criterion and forward contenders as I find them... in Euro land as I live here now. Soon gone though.

Amel is a very thought after boat concept, yet it looks like being rather expensive, though worth it... as a ketch it is ideal in leeward oceanic routes, poorly so in the Med.
I read about families squeezed into a 35'er..sure it forces to painful choices about personal pleasure, gear, technical eqt and boat gear...
Old 06-03-2015, 02:31   #55

Quote:
Hello Julie,

Amel is a very thought after boat concept, yet it looks like being rather expensive, though worth it... as a ketch it is ideal in leeward oceanic routes, poorly so in the Med.
I read about families squeezed into a 35'er..sure it forces to painful choices about personal pleasure, gear, technical eqt and boat parts..
Old 06-03-2015, 10:26   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMac View Post
I'd like to ask real liveaboard couples for their input, given this criteria:
* cruising couple in 50's/60's, very occasional guests.
* cruising grounds will initially be 60% U.S. coastal, 40% Caribbean. Will plan on Central and South America, possibly Med someday.
* budget $150-250 USD.
... We have our ideas, but want to hear from those who live the life now.
Just some thoughts about the galley: You find basically three types:
1) The U shape with or without return (More like a "C" shape)
2) The linear, in the main cabin &
3) The "parallel" in the passage between main cabin & aft cabin (Aft cabin layout)
Of the three, the third one is the one I much prefer. Whether on port or starboard tack, I'm can lean against the lee side, no need for a cook belt
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ParrallelGalley.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	98403   Click image for larger version

Name:	ParrallGaley.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	98404  

Old 06-03-2015, 19:04   #57

If it's not a cat you know what it must be, Wolf, Wolf

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ShawnArbercat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard