Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2015, 10:44   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450
Which Blogger software is best and easiest?

We're getting ready to set sail and would like some advice on which Blogger software is the best and easiest to use for a non-techie.

I notice quite a few use mainly googles Blogger.com and others Sailblog.com. Can anyone shed some light on the pro's and con's of both or other services out there.

Main issues are ease of setting up and maintaining the site, keeping the site accessible without paying, connecting to Facebook or email list, cost, size of photo storage etc.

Thanks.
sailingforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:34   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Which Blogger software is best and easiest?

Wordpress seems to be the most popular and user friendly. Blogspot is also OK. Sailblogs is the worst with stupidly convoluted way of inserting multiple pictures.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:14   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingforfun View Post
We're getting ready to set sail and would like some advice on which Blogger software is the best and easiest to use for a non-techie.

I notice quite a few use mainly googles Blogger.com and others Sailblog.com. Can anyone shed some light on the pro's and con's of both or other services out there.

Main issues are ease of setting up and maintaining the site, keeping the site accessible without paying, connecting to Facebook or email list, cost, size of photo storage etc.

Thanks.
Check out valME.io. They will do all the technical setup for you for free and, if you have a domain name, you can use that. If you don't have a domain name, 1and1.com typically has a sale for $0.99 domains. (If they don't currently have that promotion, just Google cheap domain names.) A post on valME costs $0.02 so it's dirt-cheap compared to other blogging platforms (especially given you don't need any technical knowledge to use it).
b_ohare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 13:09   #4

Paul L, can I ask why you use BlogSpot.com and not Wordpress.com?
Old 05-07-2015, 15:19   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingforfun View Post
Paul L, can I ask why you use BlogSpot.com and not Wordpress.com?
Historical. I started with Blogspot, aka Google, and it would be a pain to change. Blogspot is fine, I just think WordPress is moving forward with their product and Google is sitting still.
Old 05-07-2015, 15:20   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Wordpress is a fine platform with lots of choices for themes. Very adaptable and so easy to use.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 03:24   #7

Wordpress is the easiest, without a doubt. I've had blogs since 2008 and used all sorts of platforms but I like this the best. It has all sorts of free templates and you can purchase others for $50. Feel free to take a look at my blog and send me questions. Take care.
robert. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:07   #8

Boat: Rinker, Captiva 232 Runabout

I use Wordpress for my Gym's website & blog as well. It's easy to set up, with a ton of template's to choose from. I also have it set up to push my daily workouts to Facebook, and Twitter. Mobile log in and updating is also easy.
Pictures are also easy, I attach a picture to each posting.

You can see here.

Foo Dog Fit Club | Find Ur Foo with Functional Fitness
Badco_67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:15   #9

Boat: Lagoon 40

I'm using Blogger.com. If you are ok with the templates offered, this is pretty easy to use once set up. I did make a few slight tweaks. Since I back up most of my photos to Google, its easy to import them. I am no expert on the other platforms.

Neil
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:25   #10

Boat: Alajuela 38

We find blogger easy to use but the template needed a bit of tweaking. Arranging the photos how you want them can be frustrating though its quick and easy to get them in there. I've heard better things about WordPress but have no personal experience. If you have a preferred name check which one has it available. Neither had our preferred name available so we're chose the one that had the next best.
All the best for it!
Impetuous too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:38   #11

Boat: 1996 49' Krogen Express

Wordpress has worked for me - pretty easy, but capable of more than we do for sure.
kelbylinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 19:39   #12

Wordpress. You can buy plenty of very cheap drag and drop design platforms to run on it too: that makes page and site design ultra simple and very flexible. Try Elegant Themes: they provide the one I use. Virtually all domain providers offer Wordpress automated setup if you host with them as part of the C Panel interface. Along with every other blogging platform too. However, Wordpress provides most things you will need, is user friendly and free.
Tommydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 20:53   #13

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions. I'm going to give Wordpress a try.
Old 06-07-2015, 23:31   #14

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

I blog a bit and I've helped others setup their website...IMHO:
  • Wordpress is opensource and gives more flexibility and control at the price of a steeper learning curve and coding... you must get a place to host your site and provide a url.
  • Blogger is super easy and you can get a mobile app that lets you post from your phone. I don't need to know any html or other language to use it. There aren't a lot of options for getting creative. Google provides the hosting and url for free, but I don't know how you get your own URL rather than use "www.yourname.blogspot.com" (like mine is: "www.sednahr35.blogspot.com")
  • Weebly is easy and provides everything in a one stop shop. The editor is drag and drop, templates with ability to get creative and format your screen with various styles or build your own... still no coding as far as I know. Weebly hosts for free, for a small fee you can buy a custom URL through them.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:34   #15

Boat: Kaufman 47

It may help to know that WordPress is two entities.. You have WordPress. Com and WordPress. Org.

The .Com is easy to use but more limited on what you can do. WordPress hosts you but you have to use their approved themes and plug-ins aren't allowed. It's FREE to use, though some premium themes cost money. Also, to not have WordPress in your website url, you have to pay a yearly subscription.

The .Org is the open-source code you can use on a host site that let's you customize your site. You have to PAY for the hosting site to allow you your website. You have more freedom with design and plug-ins are allowed. Your url is whatever you want as long as it is available.

I use WordPress. Com now because I don't have time to set up a site with .Org. It's easy, I found a theme I liked and I customized it as much as I could.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
software