Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 02:40   #31
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Where to start? -with 2 young kids 4 & 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
At seven or eight he made for a repsite from our own time at the helm, but this was back before the more interactive video games popular today! I'll risk someone calling this exploitive,- he graduated to "shooting stars" and gained a great feel for maintaining a good course while at sea.
Yeah, that was exploitive . Me was a couple of years older when I became foredeck crew. the foredeck crew. No headsail furler originally, and no lifejacket or harness of course (1970's).

On the upside children have a low centre of balance, handholds are higher and a damned sight more nimple / agile than an adult. and they bounce easier. Plus they don't know any better / lack the imagination that comes later in life for danger from experiance (near misses!). Most of my "training" came from scrambling over rocks and cliffs(!) when ashore - amazing how quick a small child can be over terrain that confounds an adult (that low COG thing again!).

Never learnt to swim - but nonetheless became very comfortable in the water, as long as within 10 yards of something to hang onto or had a bit of flotation.....no swimming ability means I developed a keen sense of awareness about water - especially the bit about not falling in .

Going over the side to clear props came a couple of years later .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:43   #32

Thank you for all the helpful information! I have spent the last 48 hours reading Bumfuzzle's Blog, thank you to those that suggested it.
I really want a cat but understand a mono would be more in our price range and give us maybe us a little more wiggle room finically. When I put $60000 I have already budgeted $20000 for updates and repairs but with a mono I might be able to get everything under the $60k.
As for when to leave I assume we will start to make our way down the ICW in late Oct and try to make the cross early Nov, that will give us the most time before we have the head way north or way south durning hurricane season.
I am very happy to see not one person has regretted doing this, it has put my family a little more at ease.
Thanks again!
Rebekahnorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:32   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebekahnorway View Post
Thank you for all the helpful information! I have spent the last 48 hours reading Bumfuzzle's Blog, thank you to those that suggested it.
I really want a cat but understand a mono would be more in our price range and give us maybe us a little more wiggle room finically. When I put $60000 I have already budgeted $20000 for updates and repairs but with a mono I might be able to get everything under the $60k.
As for when to leave I assume we will start to make our way down the ICW in late Oct and try to make the cross early Nov, that will give us the most time before we have the head way north or way south durning hurricane season.
I am very happy to see not one person has regretted doing this, it has put my family a little more at ease.
Thanks again!
Hi there - a few more blogs you might enjoy:
svwondertime.com
logofdelviento.blogspot.com
forgeover.com
tigandserena.com

We purchased a Valiant 40 last year that we are going to move aboard on full time in 2014 with our two young children. These blogs have provided us with a lot of information and inspiration.
Good luck!
Momosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:45   #34

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Rebeka

It is doable. The firs thing I would do is buy Beth Leonards "The Voyagers Handbook". Then I'd read it. Then I'd check out her website

Beth and Evans Home Page

If she doesn't discuss it - it really isn't necessary to know.

AFter doing that you'll have a reasonable idea of what is truly involved.

I agree with a the advice given above. Buy a mono (more boat for your buck) based on cruising in the carribean - so 35-40 footer.

Take sailing lessons. Take sailing lessons (I repeated it on purpose) Take sailing lessons (I said it again). You will need to learn the basics of navigation, amongst other things. Perhaps not using a sextant, but you will need to know what it means to navigate.

You'll want to stay out of the carribean during hurricaine season, september to end november. But you can get a lot of practice sailing up the coast of the US during following the summer and then turning around and coming back down the ICW, exiting somewhere in florida in end November, ready to start the carribean season.

ONce you've done that, if you still want to go RTW - you'll know what kind and size of boat you want/need and you'll be able to sail.

I don't know about the states, but here in europe you can frequently find a "used" circumnavigator boat, meaning one that has been around, and the owners are now selling. These tend have all the equipment needed (surveyor check) and can be surprisingly cheap.

Why cheap? Because they are no longer shiny toys. They'll have targa bars rigged, a couple of solar panels, steps on the mast and generally look a little trashed. Do not be put off. You boat will look just like that once it has RTW'ed.

Good luck on your adventure, and I hope to see you out there.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kids