Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2018, 11:31   #16

Boat: Columbia 8.7
Re: Where to cruise if you're too tall for the ICW??

Upon further reflection, Long Island Sound should be doable.
CFS Klopas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:11   #17

Boat: Maine Cat 38

+1 Captain Bill. Great info.

I have never paid more as a catamaran for marina space on the Chesapeake. I have found several marinas that go out of their way to accommodate catamarans.

I have encountered marinas in New York Connecticut, Rhode Island that wanted a 1.5 premium for cats, but we took moorings instead of marina slips, with no premium requested.

We spent a couple months cruising Maine to Virginia this year. Lots to see and do. For a 52 foot cat the only places I would say stay out of is New Jersey. Barnegatt Inlet is ok if you really must stop, but there is not much there other than a place to drop anchor and maybe buy a cold beer.

New York Harbor and the East River are great experiences. Barnegatt Bay has lots of options from quiet to crowded fun. We loved anchoring off Cape Cod. Then as mentioned Maine from Portland eastward.
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 13:54   #18

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

Go North young man, go North!

I may be biased but although we love the ICW all the way from Fl cruising gets nicer with every mile you sail North all the way to Newfoundland!

Best wait a tad though (-:

Enjoy

Jim
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 13:55   #19

Boat: Hunter 340

How far north do you want to go?
The Canadian maritime cruising is totally amazing with lots of anchorages,historic city's,very few bridges,cheap dockage,Canadian dollars etc.
WindsongII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 14:03   #20

Boat: Nordhavn 47

We spent the summer in the Long Island Sound area this year and were very impressed. Great anchorages and plenty to do. There are also some expensive mooring areas like Nantucket but you can anchor there as well. Sag Harbor was a favorite but maybe it was just anchoring for free in this place with beautiful boats with sea planes bringing the owners to and from their boats that seemed kind of neat. You didn’t have to spend a lot although it is more expensive then the Chesapeake.
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 13:41   #21

Boat: Catana 50

All awesome information thank you all!!. Captain Bill, you should write a guide book!!

I've read every one and will compile them all as soon as I have some time!

Great to hear that you are calling 40' "deep"!! That is just a bit on the high side of average for us. We've anchored in twice that more than a few times.

We really want to go to the Canadian east coast, but that isn't in the cards! We are Canadian citizens but our boat is not "tax paid". 'tis a shame!

Great to hear also that marinas don't typically charge more for cats! And $1 - $1.5 is very cheap compared to the Med! Here in the Med it's at least 1.5 times and mostly double. Marinas in Spain, France, Croatia and even Turkey are at least 4 to 6 euros per ft for cats! But that's only a problem in cities that we'd like to visit that don't have an anchorage. Whenever possible we are always at anchor.

As for dinghy landing/docking - we are pretty creative!!! We've only not been able to land a couple of times.

We we're debating on wheather we should soend a summer in the US north east, but you have definitely started to tip the scale for us!!

Don't be shy to add your favourite anchorages. We've cruised the last 4 summers in the Med (we were only going to stay one, max 2 - it'll be 5 before we're done!) following other people's favourites, with no regrets!

Thank you all!!!
CookiesnTequila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 19:26   #22

Stopping in Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey will get you a guided tour of more than a couple of days by me. Lots to see and do beyond the harbor and town! You can anchor, moor or get a slip. PM me a week out, it will be worth your visit.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:41   #23

Boat: PT-11

Everywhere!
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:20   #24

Boat: Catana 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamdigger View Post
Stopping in Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey will get you a guided tour of more than a couple of days by me. Lots to see and do beyond the harbor and town! You can anchor, moor or get a slip. PM me a week out, it will be worth your visit.
Hey Clamdigger. A good friend of ours has a house in Highlands, and we've been there a few times. We've taken the ferry into Manhattan before from Highlands. It's an absolute must stop for us when we head that way! If/when we do, we'll share a beer!!
CookiesnTequila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 06:58   #25

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

There is a waterway guide to the east coast US
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 07:07   #26

I would suggest St Augustine, Charleston, perhaps Southport/Wrightsville, Morehead City/Beaufort, Annapolis, and Norfolk, You can stop in Cape May or Atlantic City (if you like to gamble) which is Absecon Inlet. NYC, Old Saybrook and Essex Island is very nice, Block Island, of course Newport.

Nantucket is beautiful and Martha's Vineyard as well. Then once you get through Buzzards bay and the canal, Provincetown, Plymouth, Boston and then the Maine coast is fantastic if there is no fog. Lobster pots galore, though.

Have a safe trip!
captainmarknc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 09:22   #27

We are 70’ tall and 61/2’ deep. We have had no problems travelling around the USA, West and East Florida coast, The Keys, or the Chesapeake. We choose our time and places to do our jumps on the outside. We anchor 95% of the time. We are about depart for the Bahamas - we will just find places we can go and skip the ones we cant get into and visit by dinghy. Just go and enjoy and use your charts!!
Follow us on FB or Instagram - SVTyee and if you PM I will send you a list of our anchorages
SVTyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 14:01   #28

Boat: Hanse 575, 57' Sloop

The Chesapeke Bay is OK, but if you want decent wind and actual sailing, you should keep going North to RI and Massachusetts. (---kidding---)

Block Island can take you no problem, and has plenty of room to anchor. Same with Newport, as well as many other anchorages and harbors (like Bristol) in Narragansett Bay. All with great protection. Further east you can anchor at Cuttyhunk Island, Edgartown, Nantucket, Hadley Harbor, Marion, Mattapoisett, Onset and many other great spots.

Get a "Cruising Guide to the New England Coast" and look at the "NY to Nantuket" edition. Or send me a mail.. Our mast is 83' and we draw 9.5' so we have to be careful as well.
S/V Black Diamond - Hanse 575 #161
Portsmouth, RI
Black Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 07:23   #29

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

Bridges that are on ocean going ship inland routes are 135 ft. You are good on the Chesapeake or Delaware up to the C and D Canal, NY up to Albany, all of Narragansett Bay, the Cape Cod Canal, Portsmouth, NH, and then there is one bridge over Eggemoggin Reach in Maine that is 65 ft.

I'd say you have a lot of choices. Your shallow draft allows you to see Cape Cod and the Islands which are very pretty. Cats in Maine have the two-hull problem with lobster pot markers. Dodge with one hull and snag with the other hull!
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 08:11   #30

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Some Canada East info: https://www.facebook.com/CruiseAtlan...MilN48&fref=nf

Tags
cruise, icw