Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2013, 06:54   #1

Where In The World Would You Start....

Afternoon All (my time zone)

So a serious question... if you could choose the starting point for your etended cruise where would you begin?

Med
Caribbean
East US
Malaysia
Oz
Etc....

Given the huge world wide distribution of boats we could, as potential purchasers of a second hand cat start anywhere. Or rather, we could reduce our search by discounting places.

My view at the moment is that we will likely find the best value 'v' boat quality on the East Coast of the US...

But if the right boat was to be found anywhere where would you want to start your cruise.

Cost of cruising ground is a consideration, but so is the quality of cruising ground and anchorages.

Tar for your thoughts
Sundowner Porto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 07:13   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Where In The World Would You Start....

mine started from san diego as that is where my boats were.
first logical place to repair was and is mexico from that point.

why dont ye see where you find and keep a boat then decide where you and your boat can make it before deciding to plan , which is something made in wet sand and liquid jello when one owns a sailing boat.
my cruising plan lasted mebbe 12 hours or less into my trip to mazatlan which became a trip to ensenada then onward...but i wasnt ever going to stop in ensenada..lol..was there a month.

sounds like you seek an adventure--cruising will help you find same--happy sails and have fun planning....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 07:28   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Sundowner Porto,

There is an Australian poster to CF who has recently purchased a boat on the East Coast of the US and who has just transited the Panama Canal. He would be able to tell you about buying foreign. His CP name is Virtual Vagabond, and you might PM him.

Without knowing your experience or what kind of cat you want, there's not much else to say of your fantasies at this point. However, there are a number of catamaran folks out cruising, and some of them are fairly regular on CF, perhaps one of them will get back to you.

Ann
Old 23-07-2013, 07:29   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

If I was looking to purchase a boat and begin cruising, I'd look closely at the availability of supplies needed to fit out the boat, and the proximity of a "shakedown" area. For me the atlantic side of florida fits this bill. There are thousands of suppliers, and the bahamas are a good shakedown area with a relatively easy return to florida if the need should arise.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 08:35   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Sundowner Porto,

Without knowing your experience or what kind of cat you want, there's not much else to say of your fantasies at this point. However, there are a number of catamaran folks out cruising, and some of them are fairly regular on CF, perhaps one of them will get back to you.

Ann
Fantasies is a little harsh, but thank you for your views and I take your points on board.
Old 23-07-2013, 08:53   #6

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Med, Caribbean or East Coast USA are all ok. Plenty of local cruising before you have to tackle the big stuff!

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 09:24   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

other thought is to consider where you want to end up/finish your cruise and plan based on that
Old 23-07-2013, 10:07   #8

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

I wouldn't worry about where you want to start; i'd focus more on getting the right boat at the right price. Fortunately the vast majority of boats are sold online, which means that the entire world market of boats is open to you. If you plan on cruising extensively and you are planning on buying a boat that is already ocean-capable(ish) then it's a relatively easy thing to buy the boat you want and then sail it somewhere suitable to do a refit, or shakedown or whatever you like.

To answer your question though, in an ideal world i'd buy a boat in Asia. Even if you get one that is pristine there will be points on which you and the previous owner don't see eye to eye and you are going to want to make some changes. In Asia (mainland) you can get parts and the labour is cheap.

Beware or buying something that needs work. It may well end up being more expensive than saving and then buying one that is already in good condition.......... i made that mistake :-(
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 11:38   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

I would start in California. Then you can sail rtw without using Panama canal.

In Cal I think there are boats, services, food and water. Nice people too sure. Perfect place to buy a boat, get her ready and sail away.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 12:06   #10
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner Porto View Post
Med
Caribbean
East US
Malaysia
Oz
Etc....
Given you are after a cat, and less of them around than monos I would go for where they are most numerous in numbers and therefore for sale - as gives you most choice on model and condition and boats for sale at the time you want.

For me that would rule out Oz (must be a reason why folks buy in the USA and sail them home - or at least think about doing so)....would also rule out SEA for a lack of numbers......the Carribean I would rule out for ease of getting work done (all new s/h boats require "stuff")......which leaves the Med and the USA......If you are from the USA and don't have the foreign lingo I would stick with that as will make life easier (and for E Coast the Carib not far away - on W Coast they have other stuff ).

My plan would be to line up some prospects online and then go to an area and stay there boat hunting for an extended period before buying and plan on staying for a month or 3 afterwards to shake out all the bugs / make mods at own leisure / use & learn her........the exception to that plan would be finding a boat elsewhere in the world (any of the areas you suggested, and elsewhere!) that really tempted me, and I was willing to risk a wasted trip etc.

Of course budget usually creeps into the mix. and time constraints - but the more of each the easier life is!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 12:55   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Well to expand a little on Ann's answer, it really depends on several factors. The main ones I think where your extended cruise would be, your sailing skills and the boat.

Some of these may be totally different questions and perhaps should be answered before deciding which boat and where. For example, if your dream cruise is the Caribbean then it wouldn't make a lot of sense to shop for boats in Australia unless you have the skills and desire to sail halfway around the world to reach your cruising ground.

On the other hand, if your dream cruise is just anywhere tropical then you could look in the US east coast to EU and the Med for easy cruise to the Caribbean or US west coast to access the south Pacific.

But, if your dream is to sail the Aegean and your sailing skills limited then buying on the US east coast or EU would be the option.

Maybe consider this advise. You ask a very broad based, open ended question you can get only broad based, open ended answer. If you want more specific ideas, try to narrow the parameters just a bit.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 01:48   #12

Thanks to all for your responses, thoughts and considerations.
Old 24-07-2013, 04:55   #13

Boat: Lagoon 450
I have been faced recently with a similar (yet different) set of circumstances and perhaps this fits into your adventurous plans. I live in Singapore and have been working extensively, lately in the UK, and researched the better of the 2 places to start my trip from. Short story is that I chose SEA to start; as after buying the boat (also a cat), I'm able to register it tax free in Malaysia (Langkawi), head up to Phuket to have blue water mod work completed (while one needs to supervise the work in Thailand, its cost effective and of good quality). For all the $$$ of blue water equipment needed, and to import, I'm able to import tax free into either S'pore or Phuket as the boat is Langkawi registered. There are well priced cats for sale in this region not to mention a wonderful area to cruise around before heading across the Indian.
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 12:29   #14

Boat: 34' O'Day

We had originally started in South Carolina where we bought our first boat. The goal was to get to the Carribean, however, we both agree now, that with the experience we have, we would rather be on the Pacific side, so much more world to see out that way. Oh, one more comma.
youngncruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 15:39   #15

Boat: 2008 Hunter 44DS

We just completed a 3.5 year cruise of the west coast of Mexico.

While the anchorages are not as scenic or calm as elsewhere, and they are unfortunately spaced very far apart, the people of Mexico are the nicest we've met anywhere and the sights inland -- colonial cities and Mayan ruins -- are absolutely jaw-dropping.

The cost is very reasonable ($1 for a beer, $10 for dinner for 2 at a beach bar, $3.80 per gallon of diesel).

We found it very easy to find a good boat in California and to outfit it in Ensenada Mexico (70 miles south of San Diego).

One nice thing is that your initial sail to get to the Pacific Mexico cruising grounds is relatively easy (downwind with following seas).

After you have completed your cruise of Mexico, if you want to return to the US and not go on to the S. Pacific or Caribbean, you have lots of passage-making experience under your belt when you tackle the difficult uphill slog of the 800 mile Baja Bash to return to California.
settingsun is offline   Reply With Quote