Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2018, 19:14   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Where in South Eastern Fl to hang out for a Month?

Need to leave Brunswick Ga, cause it’s cold and I’m tired of fighting condensation and tired of the cold.
So where to hang out for awhile? Considerations are West Palm, Marathon and Key West. I’d rather anchor than mooring ball, but a field if it has good amenities may be the way to go.
Is there somewhere else better? I know KW a little, Marathon and West Palm not at all.
Primary consideration is warmth, so I’m thinking KW, but don’t know if I can anchor out there, what the conditions are like now. I have stayed in the mooring field, didn’t like it.
So are the anchorages torn up, or are they useable? Can you anchor nearby the Bight? Don’t mind a few miles in the dinghy, I have a decent sized one, but of course if close by is an option I’d rather be close.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 19:25   #2

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Where in South Eastern Fl to hang out for a Month?

Boot Key Harbor in Marathon is very nice, or at least it was before Hurricane Irma. If it’s back in good shape, it’s a great place to hang out for a bit, lots of facilities nearby.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 19:29   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

If you have good ground tackle you can anchor out in front of Coast Guard Station Key West. It's pretty good holding but really flukey so be aware, you will move all about. In a norther the dink ride to town sucks big time.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 19:34   #4

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

We were anchored out in Palm Beach about two weeks ago and the overnight low was 36F. The Exumas sound nice...
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 19:37   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
Boot Key Harbor in Marathon is very nice, or at least it was before Hurricane Irma. If it’s back in good shape, it’s a great place to hang out for a bit, lots of facilities nearby.

This is the mooring field?
Old 15-01-2018, 19:39   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
If you have good ground tackle you can anchor out in front of Coast Guard Station Key West. It's good holding but really flukey so be aware, you will move all about. In a norther the dink ride to town sucks big time.

Good to know, I have a 40 kg Rocha and all chain. As I’m only a 38’ Boat, I think it’ll hold in soupy mud.
Northers, we could just stay on the boat. Do you know water temp now? Is there enough room there, it used to be crowded by boats that obviously never moved?
Old 15-01-2018, 19:53   #7

Boat: Seafarer36c

Things are different now. They have dropped moorings all over the place so there are not so many anchored boats anymore. Most have drug off somewhere anyway. The area near the USCG is just anchored boats. I think there would always be room for another boat. It gets a little deep in places (25'+) so hopefully that keeps out the low life with rope rode.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 20:11   #8

My friends spent about 10+ winters in KW anchoring in a 46 ft boat drawing about 8ft. They did use 2 anchors system as the current tends to be frisky there. Never a problem though, they even used to fly for 1-2 week visits away from the boat and found everything in good order. Their last winter there was actually last January, a year ago.

Their other alternative for decent anchoring was Riviera Beach, anchoring near the city marina. But I think there were some new rules and regs for that area lately.

Still another good choice was in Dania/Hollywood Beach area near FLL but that I think is also now affected by the new anchoring rules. Although for 30 or fewer days that may work fine. That spot is in a lake-like little lagoon and is very protected.

My personal choice would be same 3 spots but in reverse order of preference. I visited them often in all 3 spots and am kind of familiar with all the pluses and minuses of each.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 00:00   #9
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

No-Name Harbor for a few days, then cruise Biscayne Bay, anchor wherever you want, a few days here, a few days there. No charge, close to town if you anchor in Virginia Key,take an UBER across the bridge.
Old 16-01-2018, 03:34   #10

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
This is the mooring field?

They have both, but the mooring field is more convenient to the facilities.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 04:15   #11
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

For anchorages North Palm Beach (North lake Worth) in the anchorage at Old Port Cove Marina. Convenient to dinghy landing under the little bridge and walking over to Pulbix/restaurants/brewery/Enterprise car rental for $22/super West Marine
Old 16-01-2018, 04:20   #12

I second sailor boy's comment. Its quiet, large and convenient to stores.

I also stayed in Lake Sylvia in Fort Lauderdale. Can get a little crowded on weekends as the locals hang out there. Dinghy landings are scarce, but "marine mile" is there so you can get just about any kind of boat work or boat parts you want.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 04:27   #13

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Miami and Biscayne Bay are great to hang out in. Lots of good anchorages. Area around South Beach is very good. We always stay there before crossing to Nassau. Hide in any of the canals south of Venetian Causeway. Fuel and water at Crandon Park. Anchor off Nixons. If it blows duck into Hurricane Harbor. Good free trolley in South Beach to Publix at MacArthur Causeway. Total Wines, lots of stores if you want to shop. Some nice restaurants in South Beach if you want to eat out. Dink dock in Collins Canal.

Have not done the Keys. Went as far as Key Largo once, many years ago, that was it.
Old 16-01-2018, 04:34   #14

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
Friends of mine were moored in Boot Key Harbor a few weeks ago...all good.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 04:38   #15

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Miami and Biscayne Bay are great to hang out in. Lots of good anchorages. Area around South Beach is very good. We always stay there before crossing to Nassau. Hide in any of the canals south of Venetian Causeway. Fuel and water at Crandon Park. Anchor off Nixons. If it blows duck into Hurricane Harbor. Good free trolley in South Beach to Publix at MacArthur Causeway. Total Wines, lots of stores if you want to shop. Some nice restaurants in South Beach if you want to eat out. Dink dock in Collins Canal.

Have not done the Keys. Went as far as Key Largo once, many years ago, that was it.
I used to deliver boats to/from the Miami area...South Beach is a fun place to people watch too...the "look at me" crowd.

In Key Largo, I spent a month in the John Pennekamp SP mooring field once, quite nice, but unfortunately now out of commission due to hurricane damage.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote