Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2017, 19:52   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Where do You Live aboard, and Why?

PNW. I winter on the Columbia near the coast. I like the scenery, quiet and few people. Where I choose to cruise almost no people at all. I commercial fished, know the ports and it's a lot cheaper to dock or get repairs than some Seattle marina or boatyard. California would be out of the question. I was born there. In Sacramento. Hell's capital. I couldn't wait to leave. My father(1901) liked hot weather and moved there when he left the sea. I guess the sea got old for him, but never for me. But for arthritis I'd have a sailboat and be on the ocean now.
Rural Canada and Alaska are nice. Friendly people and not crowded. Small stores, old style restaurants, no rush hour. Never wintered in Alaska but plan to. Did a few winter months in Canada getting the current boat ready to move south when I bought her. Considering I was born in Hell or close to it, I like cold weather.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 05:55   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, sandrunner.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 05:33   #33

Boat: IP 370

Boatman61-Where in Portugal? Was there a few years ago and would love to return to a comfortable spot. Thanks
Journeys End is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 07:01   #34

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
No trick photography, this 2L bottle of beer cost 19.25 kuna in Croatia or $2.75 USD and it's imported. [emoji3] But Italy is still cheaper where a 500ml beer (approx 16oz) will cost only .53 cents.

Some other favorites would be a plate of mussels at a nice restauant 8 euros, a Quattro Formaggi (4 cheese Med pizza) 6 euros at a nice place and it'll feed me for three meals.

And I'll be filling up with some duty free diesel this week in Montenegro for €2.23 per gallon or $2.71 USD.

'Just Phil and I trying to open up some possibilities for other members.
That coffee cost $9aud in the Seychelles yesterday!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20171018-WA0000.jpeg
Views:	187
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	158002  
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 07:51   #35

Boat: Moody 54
Send a message via MSN to MARIADZ

We have lived aboard for the last two years in Ipswich, UK. This is as we prepare our Moody 54 for a circumnavigation. We sold our house in the UK and put our furniture in storage while a rental property is completed in Italy. We are hoping and expecting that this property will provide enough to fund our trip.

It's cold in winter in the UK but the summer is glorious. Lots of info on our website - mariadz.com. I actually posted yesterday on the first couple of years.
MARIADZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 08:34   #36

Boat: Pearson 365

Lived aboard a Pearson Vanguard in Massachusetts year round for six years or so, now live aboard a Pearson 365 in the same area. Love the area and it's proximity to Maine. People ask me if the winters are hard-not of you think it through. I now winter in a building on the coast, but would easily winter aboard again if the particularly sweet housing deal disappeared. In an insulated boat winters aboard are incredibly beautiful. Nothing like a foot of snow on deck and a fire burning below to make the winter pleasurable.
jpendoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 23:54   #37

Boat: Island Packet 40

Another one who lives aboard on the east coast of Australia (all though I am just finishing a 3,000nm cruise from southern West Australia across the top) Don't go any farther south than the Great Sandy Straits, too frenzied further south. Hope to continue the life style for the rest of my life. Stay in the 22 - 26 degree C temperature band by migrating North and south, there are plenty of good anchorages and one can day sail the entire 1,000nm or so. I sometime go for years without entering a marina as there are plenty of places you can go ashore and walk or push bike to all the services required.The whole place is safe and civilised and you can drink the water out of the taps..
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:27   #38

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Another one who lives aboard on the east coast of Australia (all though I am just finishing a 3,000nm cruise from southern West Australia across the top) Don't go any farther south than the Great Sandy Straits, too frenzied further south. Hope to continue the life style for the rest of my life. Stay in the 22 - 26 degree C temperature band by migrating North and south, there are plenty of good anchorages and one can day sail the entire 1,000nm or so. I sometime go for years without entering a marina as there are plenty of places you can go ashore and walk or push bike to all the services required.The whole place is safe and civilised and you can drink the water out of the taps..
That's living the dream!
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:02   #39

Boat: Jeanneau 43' DS

Hello!
We've lived aboard our sailboat in the Gulf of California, traveling north and south inside the Baja peninsula as well as south down the Pacific coast of Mexico, for the past 4 years. The gulf has plenty of beautiful islands and safe anchorages, as well as small towns in which to provision. It's a great life!
sail2bluesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 19:30   #40

Did 2 years liveaboard in Perth. Rented out the house. Full time work to pay for the life, so didn't travel too far sadly. Moved back on land when firstborn was about 6months old.
Not cheap living in marina, but was convenient, especially once baby turned up!

For whatever reason, live aboard is generally discouraged in this part of the world in marinas.if you ask, the normal answer is no, but you can if you ask the right people in the right way I think.

Will live aboard again someday I'm sure. Would like to cruise around Australia when time and money permit, but that's a long way off.
200MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 11:42   #41

Boat: Boat

Florida. I work for a company in a career that can involve a lot of geographic flexibility from here to Texas to California to the midatlantic and Northeast US. I got tired of paying movers and real estate agents, and love being on the water.
Cloroxbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 16:00   #42

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lucia 40

Which marina in FL? I’m currently looking at lagoon 400 and 440 and would love to live aboard in SE FL. I’m still working, but have flexibility as long as I’m near a good airport.
I currently have a beachhouse on the Chesapeake in VA, but will likely sell and move to a sailboat if I can make the logistics work.
Thanks in advance.

PM

I currently have a Tartan 33 on the hard up in the NE, but I would not want to live on that boat (even though it’s a great boat).
PM2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 16:38   #43

SW Florida (Marco Island). The neighboring boat is a Tartan 35 that someone lived aboard for a while. Don’t really know anything about the liveaboard situation on the east side.
Old 16-11-2017, 18:00   #44

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lucia 40

Love Tartans... great boats for coastal cruising but for a liveaboard, I have my mind set on a decent sized Cat.
Thank you for the quick reply... greatly appreciated.
Is there an airport nearby 😬?
PM2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 20:10   #45

The closest airports with commerixial air service are Fort Myers (1 hour) and Miami International (2 hours). A cat is going to further limit your options because the number of slips available that can accommodate the beam of a cat (vs a monohull) are even more limited.

My advice would be to try it with the Tartan and see if the location and lifestyle is compatible with your plans and if it is get something different/larger. It will also be easier to check out options (whether they are boats, marinas, or slips) when you are down here.