Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2011, 07:17   #1

Boat: Soon and her name will be Agnes
Where do I begin ?

Hey everyone I have a question for y'all. I have a great passion for the water. This past weekend I went out cruising on my friends O'day and while we were out we met a couple who were liveaboards. There lifestyle seemed amazing! I have about 1 1/2 years of school left and then I already have a career with a public safety agency lined up. I am currently living at home with my parents and going to school but when I finish school I want to move out and become a liveaboard. My question is what should I do to make this dream cone true? Or is this a non realistic venture? Where should I start? Thank you for your incite on my situation. Safe boating!
SurfGuardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 07:34   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: Where do I begin?

Hello and welcome,

The first three things that come to mind are that you learn to sail. You can attend classes or perhaps your friends with the O'day will get you started. Second, you need to start saving for your boat. They are not as cheap as you might think and the more you can afford up front will mean the less that you will have to do in restoration to make it a comfortable liveaboard. Finally, the more you learn about repairing boats the further ahead you will be. Again, check with you're O'day friends and offer to help out on maintenance. Perhaps they will introduce you to others that will take you sailing in exchange for some help on projects. You can learn how to change out an engine's impeller, change oil, rebuild head pump, and so on in preparation for you're own future boat. At the same time you will be getting to know different makes and model's of boats and start to get a feel for you will want or not want on your own.

Good luck and have fun,
Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 07:35   #3

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Inside the USA, especially in a public safety profession you will need a "hard address" not something like "the red boat in the middle of the bay." In order to get credit and banking accounts and pay taxes you also need a fixed land address.
- - Living aboard on a small boat in a marina is a possible solution but check carefully about the costs of the marina, water, electricity, live aboard fees and pump out facilities. Then there are the added costs of buying the boat and maintaining the boat to keep it floating.
- - Sometimes you can find a homeowner with seawall space who is willing to rent you the seawall space for your boat. But there are only few places in Florida where this is strictly legal.
- - So it is doable but you might end up spending more than finding a really cheap one room place to live on land such as garage apartments, etc.
- - Then there is the "biggy" for a young person. Small vessels used as live-a-boards are a real turn-off to prospective girlfriends or potential bed-mates. They can really "cramp your style."
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 08:01   #4

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum and enjoy the site..
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 11:01   #5

Boat: Morgan Classic 41

My cousin lives aboard his Hunter 32 in Annapolis. He has had several long-term girlfriends over the years, didn't "cramp" him any living on his vessel. He uses a marina address, is a schoolteacher, so not rolling in dough, but makes out fine. We have a home and a boat that we split the year living in, we use a mail service to keep up with mail. Banking and finances are all handled online, and bills are all handled online as well. I can't see any good reason to live on land if you would rather live on a boat. I have a friend who has managed quite well living on a mooring for the last several years, She has a dinghy and a kayak to get ashore whenever she wants. Living onboard is indeed a different lifestyle choice, and some people will criticize, but I've heard people criticized for renting instead of owning their homes, so if you are happy with life decisions, that's all that matters.
mjwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 11:05   #6

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

I was thinking more along the lines of the OP living on a 22 footer. A larger boat would of course change things.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 06:01   #7

Boat: Soon and her name will be Agnes
Thank you everyone for the advise and I am going to go to a sailing class/camp at the end of the summer for $150.
SurfGuardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 15:21   #8

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfGuardian View Post
Thank you everyone for the advise and I am going to go to a sailing class/camp at the end of the summer for $150.
Keep saving, a decent ASA 4 pack will cost $1000+, this will give you the gravitas to do a bareboat charter. Rent a boat on your own without a captian. When you can do that you might be ready to singlehand around the bay. A few more classes and you could have your "6-Pack" cert. (My goal for now). You can take up to six passengers for hire on uninspected vessels up to 100 gross tons/100 miles offshore.
Old 14-06-2011, 16:03   #9

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

To tell the story of how great a love can be
The sweet love story that is older than the sea
The simple truth about the love she brings to me
Where do I start
Old 14-06-2011, 16:15   #10
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
Keep saving, a decent ASA 4 pack will cost $1000+, this will give you the gravitas to do a bareboat charter. Rent a boat on your own without a captian. When you can do that you might be ready to singlehand around the bay. A few more classes and you could have your "6-Pack" cert. (My goal for now). You can take up to six passengers for hire on uninspected vessels up to 100 gross tons/100 miles offshore.

You may wish to do a bit more research on that. I had a "6-pack" license and it alone cost close to $800. Then there is the TWIC for around $140. And I don't think you will find too many 100 gross ton vessels that will accommodate just 6 passengers. In any event, I found that I didn't need or use the license and rather than spend hundreds of dollars to renew or upgrade, I let it drop. A nice merit badge but for my circumstances too expensive to maintain.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 20:22   #11

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
You may wish to do a bit more research on that. I had a "6-pack" license and it alone cost close to $800. Then there is the TWIC for around $140. And I don't think you will find too many 100 gross ton vessels that will accommodate just 6 passengers. In any event, I found that I didn't need or use the license and rather than spend hundreds of dollars to renew or upgrade, I let it drop. A nice merit badge but for my circumstances too expensive to maintain.

Rich
You're right, I have seen the 6-pack for less than $700. But The $1000 was for the ASA 101, 103, and 104 Course which includes an over night cruise to Catalina. This would cost about $1200 in Marina del Rey, Ca. I have seen it cheaper on the East/Gulf Coasts.

As far as the 100GT / 6 passengers / 100 miles, that's what it allows, I didn't make the rules.
Old 15-06-2011, 13:32   #12

Re: Where do I begin ?

I would strongly suggest starting with a renting opportunity. There is a lot involved as you have read. I don't know too many college graduates who start with buying a house right off the bat.
Boatinglifeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 13:45   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

Quote:
My question is what should I do to make this dream cone true?
Dreams are for when you are sleeping. To get going you need to do things that are "getting going" You figured out how to sail "other peoples boats". Should you ever master this skill call me. I will sell my boat and go with you!

You start by getting out on the water any way that works for the limits of your lifestyle. Later on you can shift things to make it fit better. Time and money limit what you can do but not if you can get out there. You need to just be out there to learn more and have fun doing it. When you get to that level who cares about some dream you had as a rookie? Don't settle for dreams when you can do the real thing. You can make things happen with time and dedication to actually being out there.

You may never live aboard but you can sure sail a WHOLE lot if you've a mind to. Don't dream when you can sail. How things look from where you are now is not even a full dream. You really may like it all so you need to get out there and get good at doing it.

As we say the rest takes care of itself.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 14:45   #14

Boat: Morgan Classic 41

SurfGuardian, Buying a boat is a lot different that buying a house, you can get a "live aboard comfortably" boat for less than ten thou, maybe less than five thou if you do your due diligence, research, and homework as you start your searching for the boat. You have a great opportunity to anchor out at Port Orange, and Agnes will be fine on the hook as you work you day job. You don't need ANY sort of class or certification or USCG licence to live aboard or sail. You can find sailors who will take you out and show you the ropes as it were, either before or after you find Agnes. You can dream, but to do requires action. If you want this to happen I know you will find your way. Might not be the way of me, or some of the other posters opinions, but your way is valadation enough if you get out there and do it. Feel free to PM me if you would like.
mjwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 09:48   #15

Here's a young girl living on her Nor Sea 27, she made a couple of videos, seems to be having fun.

Jude2010 is offline   Reply With Quote