Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-06-2011, 11:09   #16

Boat: Morgan Classic 41
Re: Where do I begin ?

Ahh, yes Teresa Carey, here's her website. Teresa Carey's Sailing Simplicity and the Pursuit of Happiness Blog
You will note that she has begun a new sailing prodject; a documentary film where she and her boyfriend are in search of an iceberg; it's called One Simple Question. She is indeed having fun in life!

Old 18-06-2011, 14:07   #17

Boat: Still looking
Re: Where do I begin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
Keep saving, a decent ASA 4 pack will cost $1000+, this will give you the gravitas to do a bareboat charter. Rent a boat on your own without a captian. When you can do that you might be ready to singlehand around the bay. A few more classes and you could have your "6-Pack" cert. (My goal for now). You can take up to six passengers for hire on uninspected vessels up to 100 gross tons/100 miles offshore.
Wait just a minute, lol.. a $1000 + to take a 4 pack sailing class. I found 2 (1) in Fort Myers ,FL colgate sailing school $3500+and the 2nd in St. Pete, Fl $4000+. Am I not seeing the big picture, I must be missing something or I am not reading this right...

Old 18-06-2011, 14:32   #18

Boat: Morgan Classic 41

Yea, I saw that too. Let it pass because it becomes apparent when one does some googling. A USCG 6-pack licence (for hire licence) entails a bit more than "a few more classes" as well. Once again, something one will discover with a little looking. Sometimes fingers type a little faster than the brain engages. Maybe that was the case here. I can't believe it was deliberate or a case of careless bs. I spent my money sailing my boat every chance I got, reading Chapman's, rules of the road and colregs, coastal piloting techniques and then sailing some more. I eventually got quite good at it. And had a lot of fun getting to that point. Then I took my savings and put it towards a bigger boat.
Old 18-06-2011, 15:03   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I grew up sailing a small board boat and loved it. Got away from sailing till I had a relatively permanent job near the ocean. Decided to buy a boat and move aboard as a house was too expensive and blah. Immediately, my social life picked up and never wondered what I'd do on the weekends. There seemed to be some magic with the ladies when I'd mention going out for a jaunt on my yacht, actually a 26 footer. Ended up living aboard and cruising fairly consistantly for the next ten years. Kids finally ended our boat life but never regretted the time and money spent.

In most major coastal cities, living on a boat is cheaper than almost any other ownership situation. If you buy right and keep up with the cosmetics and reasonable improvements, you may break even on the boat when you sell, I'v even made money but had Carter's inflation to thank for that. Still better than pissing the money away on an apartment. The key to living aboard is finding a liveaboard slip and then a boat that you will be able to be comfortable in. In SF, liveaboard slips in decent areas are hard to find and usually take a few years on a waiting list to get in. Assume that is a common problem in many places. Check the availability of slips and the costs. Most marinas will get you for additional charges to live aboard.

As far as a boat, I'd suggest at least 30' but I started out on one smaller. With careful looking you should be able to find a boat for under $10,000 and even less than that for a serious fixer upper. The engine is the biggest thing to worry about. If the boat has an inboard, make sure it's in good shape. Rebuilding an Atomic Four is not cheap and switching to a diesel can run into the 5 figures. As you gain more experience around boats, you'll find ways to cut the cost of ownership. Used small diesels turn up all the time for under $3,000 that have been pulled because the owner simply had to have more hp to pull skiers or something. Sails are available used from Bacon's in Annapolis, on Ebay, and Craig's List. The mainsail is the only one you may have to buy new as they are pretty boat specific.

Don't waste your money on sailing lessons unless you want the experience with an instructor. A small sailing dinghy will teach everything you need to know about the basics of wind, boat, and getting somewhere. If you do any cruising, even if it's just overnight, a dinghy will be a necessity in any case. I'm sure you could find someone around the marina to go out with you the first few times you take out the boat if you felt the need. My first sail on my first boat turned out to be a couple mile run down the coast at night with a friend who'd never been on a sail boat before. The helper from the boat broker got drunk and passed out and the boat yard wouldn't let me leave the boat there overnight. Necessity is a great teacher. You can learn the rest by hanging out on sites like this, reading sailing magazines and books. A new boat can take care of your reading wish list for a couple of years.

I'd say go for it. Just be aware that living on a boat does require an adjustment and some sacrifice of space.
Old 18-06-2011, 16:59   #20

My approach was pretty much backwards and inside out. Interesting but not to be recommended.

Separated, sold house, bought beautiful (affordable) 33 footer, sailed it home, 250 miles around the Scottish Coast with a navigating friend - discovered its few but inconvenient faults on the way round and at some point soon i shall learn the proper way to sail beyond what i know from reading and small boat experience.

P.s. May as well jettison most of your possessions on the way round because you won't have room for them. Oh, and develop a habit of tidying up behind yourself :-) - All that said, move back ashore? Never :-)
Old 18-06-2011, 17:36   #21

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post

Don't waste your money on sailing lessons unless you want the experience with an instructor. A small sailing dinghy will teach everything you need to know about the basics of wind, boat, and getting somewhere. If you do any cruising, even if it's just overnight, a dinghy will be a necessity in any case. I'm sure you could find someone around the marina to go out with you the first few times you take out the boat if you felt the need. My first sail on my first boat turned out to be a couple mile run down the coast at night with a friend who'd never been on a sail boat before. The helper from the boat broker got drunk and passed out and the boat yard wouldn't let me leave the boat there overnight. Necessity is a great teacher. You can learn the rest by hanging out on sites like this, reading sailing magazines and books. A new boat can take care of your reading wish list for a couple of years.

I'd say go for it. Just be aware that living on a boat does require an adjustment and some sacrifice of space.
+

It's a strange mind set that's crept in.
When I started out more decades ago than I like to admit, I don't even know if sailing lessons existed.
You just got your hands an a cheap sailing dinghy, or found a friend with one, got on some safe water and worked it out. These days even a cheap old Hobie 14 would do.

It was a bit like learning to ride a bike... or have we got to the point where no kids will think they can learn to ride without a couple of hundred bucks spent on a course?
Want to learn to cook Thai food, or Chinese?... get a book, buy some ingredients and get into it... or you could pay a couple of hundred bucks and do the course so you can hang the certificate on the wall....
Ok... had my say, and I didn't have to take a course to do it

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 18:04   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
+

It's a strange mind set that's crept in.
When I started out more decades ago than I like to admit, I don't even know if sailing lessons existed.
You just got your hands an a cheap sailing dinghy, or found a friend with one, got on some safe water and worked it out. These days even a cheap old Hobie 14 would do.

Had to laugh. My first sailboat was a Hobie 16 in Corpus Christi around 1980. I swear I spent more time treading water than sailing.

Rich
Old 18-06-2011, 18:08   #23

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
Had to laugh. My first sailboat was a Hobie 16 in Corpus Christi around 1980. I swear I spent more time treading water than sailing.

Rich
That was a helluva hot boat to learn on! I had one as well, yellow with Tequila Sunrise sails
But it wasn't my first boat!
Over powered to buggery, but once you got it under control... what a ride!

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: