Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-10-2014, 11:04   #16

Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017
Re: When you finally have to get rid of all your stuff

Less junk = more freedom

For years, I was hauling around tons of household goods "anchor" that weighed me down and did nothing more than cost me thousands to move and store. Wasted time, energy, money, and concern.

Adaptable people can learn to get by with less.

Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 11:19   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Less junk = more freedom

For years, I was hauling around tons of household goods "anchor" that weighed me down and did nothing more than cost me thousands to move and store. Wasted time, energy, money, and concern.

Adaptable people can learn to get by with less.
Yes, your possessions larger than what you can carry become an anchor.

Freecycle. Here we have something on the internet called "freecycle" and I really use it quite a bit. It is a simple concept. You have something that you know won't net you much money but has value. Advertise it on "freecycle" and someone who can put it to good use either calls or sends you an email message. They come by your house or you agree to meet. They take it, no discussion, no haggle. You give it and they are appreciative.

Old 13-10-2014, 11:54   #18

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

I am working on getting rid of my junk and it isn't easy, it takes a very long time if you don't just give things away.
My sweetheart has a death-grip on everything, large or small.
I know we are going to have to store her junk.
Old 13-10-2014, 12:14   #19

I have been pondering how we would sell stuff we no longer needed and having an auction finally popped into my head. Flip side, is that most of the valuable stuff we have, like my tools, would be needed on the boat. Some power tools would get sold but I could sell them for more money on Craigslist.

My big problem is books. I have lots of them that I want to keep and that are worth quite a bit of money. I figured we would have to store some things but that storage is going to cost a lot of money and is it really worth it....

We have some furniture made by a family member. This furniture is very important to me but once I am gone will the kids want it? Should I just sell it now and be done with it? Hard decision....

The reality is that we don't have much that we really want to keep. There are things we need that would go to the boat but we have very few things we would want to keep that would have to go to storage. This is good of course but we do have SOME stuff that has to go to storage.

I am seriously thinking of getting rid of anything that can't go on the boat. It had been tough to think about at first but it gets easier over time...

Later,
Dan
Old 13-10-2014, 12:38   #20

Boat: Catalina 310

We tracked it when did this move. It took 2 years but in that time we sold 254 items on ebay, 28 on craig's list, a bunch of tools and other little things during a yard sale all for a grand total of $18K (this included one Jeep sold for $3,500, the rest was typical household stuff). We figure we purchased close to a year of cruising with this stuff if we go frugal. But it took a lot of work. Many nights were spent photographing stuff and putting adds up. Then all the time packaging it and taking it to the post office. It was like having a second job. I don't even want to think about what we actually paid for all the stuff. I bet it was over $100K.

In addition, we took 8 cubic yards of stuff to Good Will and threw away about 25 cubic yards of stuff. That was a tough thing to rap our heads around. We had 25 cubic yards of stuff in our small (800 square foot) house that we wouldn't even donate. Straight out to the curb. Why were we hanging onto that stuff?

As far as getting pennies on the dollar from the estate sale company, I bet you are over estimating how much you can really get for used stuff. Even selling it all ourselves we still only saw a fraction of what we paid.

In the end, it was so worth all the effort. Getting rid of the house and everything in it was the best thing we ever did. One of the most liberating feelings we have ever had.

We are now very cognizant that when we bring something back to the boat, something must go to maintain the balance.
Old 13-10-2014, 12:55   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"

In Toronto it`s easy to get rid of stuff. Just put it on the boulevard in front of your house. It will magically disappear. Last thing I put out there was a Sony Vega tv (weighed about 300 pounds) in perfect working order. There is no market for old tv`s. You really can`t give old tv`s away. Next morning it was gone.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 13:16   #22

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

We have had very mixed results with the freecycle groups in our area. Only about %50 of the time do people actually show up to pick up the item. It's very frustrating.

EBay is good, but their fees are a little high. Plus shipping up here in Canada is pretty expensive.

At this point we are using kijiji( no one uses Craigslist here) mostly. We will have an estate sale in the spring. What doesn't sell will be donated or tossed.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 13-10-2014, 15:08   #23

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

The books were tough. Literally hundreds (I read two a week) including signed first editions of Robert Parker "Spencer" novels and John D MacDonald's "Travis McGee" series. But they're gone. Kept Chapman's Piloting and Annapolis Guide to Seamanship. Bought a Kindle with the proceeds from the rest.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 13-10-2014, 16:00   #24
cruiser

Boat: Camano Troll

I am in a similar situation (actually my wife). Her father is on his last legs (in a nursing home) and her mother is already gone. They are both from a time and place where your worth is measured in how much "stuff" you own and they lived on a farm so there are many old and non working pieces of farm tools and machinery collected over many decades, collections of Beanie Babies, dolls, bells, nails in baby food jars you name it. There are a few true antiques but mostly it's just old stuff.

The real problems are, this is all five hundred miles from here and she has five siblings and nobody has the will to start getting rid of stuff, nor do they have the time and expertise to sell it.

The estate company is something I suggested but nobody wants to do anything. Meanwhile the nursing home bills are coming in and they can't pay them.

I would like to be able to wash my hands of the whole situation but I can't because of my wife's involvement. I think I'll look more into the estate company and get some quotes.
Old 13-10-2014, 18:38   #25

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Our anchor will be our teardrop camper. We built it ourselves, it's actually pretty cool, and we also love camping and traveling by land. We're just adventurers at heart. There are still a lot of things we'd like to see that aren't on the water. Our cruising ground will primarily be the east coast but our daughter and grand kids are in California. We're feeling like keeping the teardrop camper as a vehicle to go visit the kids plus see interesting parts of terra firma along the way would be good to do.

And as long as we have a storage room for the teardrop we may as well stack a few boxes of those hard to part with items that we might want to have in the future around it, right? I can see it getting out of hand though if we're not careful. And I sometimes wonder if it isn't just a sign of some separation anxiety.

We thought that would be our plan starting out but after a year or so if we haven't taken at least a couple of trips in it, or decide that we'd rather just fly (which would probably actually be cheaper, we just think not as much fun) we'll sell teardrop and the rest and be done with the storage. But it took almost 2 years to build and we don't want to ditch it and then find later that we regret it.

https://share.delorme.com/SVAnteris
oldragbaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 18:54   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

We left to go cruising on Exit Only from Saudi Arabia, and we just gave our stuff away. It was a thousand times easier, more fun, and we made a lot of people in the third world happy with the stuff we gave them. In a sale, you make pennies on the dollar, and it was just not worth the effort to have a sale.

http://SailingUNI.com
http://maxingout.com
http://PositiveThinkingSailor.com
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 19:22   #27

Boat: Various

We have an acquaintance who does estate sales and has been for ten years. She does all the work, all the preparation and staging, all the advertising and typically she'll have 50-60 dealers waiting at the door the moment the sale starts. Do things sell for pennies on the dollar? Perhaps. However, in talking to several who have used her services, even after her 35% commission they netted two to three times what they believe they could have done on their own but without the work. She knows the value of items so maximizes price on those items she knows have estate sale value. Those things that don't, she sells cheap but moves them. Day 1 is full price. Day 2 is reduced 25%. Day 3 is 50% off. The last couple of hours are "Let's make a deal". I figured the buyers who all know that would wait. No, the dealers all come on Day 1.

Now, it is critical to check references and be sure who you're getting to sell. There are professionals with hundreds or even thousands of emails they send notices to and a hundred or more dealers and then there are those who decided on a lark it would be an easy business to get into.
Old 14-10-2014, 08:00   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

We had the easiest solution of all for getting rid of "stuff" in order to move aboard. When the time came we gathered up all that we were taking aboard with us and this amount easily fit in the back seat of our compact car.

We put everything that was left in a 2'x3'x2' box and left it at a consignment auction that produced $35 for us.

Maybe this was "cheating", but we never had "stuff"!
Old 14-10-2014, 09:30   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

The only thing I still miss is my collection of blues albums.
Old 14-10-2014, 09:49   #30

Boat: Various

Actually since we've been cruising we've made the problem more difficult, not simpler. Regular "stuff" like furniture, pots and pans, all the normal household items we could easily part with. But as we cruise we pick up items and take or send them home. Normally something very tied to a locality or individual. So they each represent a lot of memories and have a story behind them. I guess it would be both cheaper and easier if we just took photos instead. lol

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: