J.M., we are right EXACTLY where you are, and can feel your pain, believe me.
We bought our Cape Dory
33 in 2014. We knew it was in distressed condition, especially in regards to a non-functioning engine
, and we felt the price
we paid justified the money
we knew we would have to spend. But....for every one thing we have crossed off the list that we knew about we have had to add three more that we didn't. Add to that, we paid about $11K to a yard that didn't do what they were supposed to do with the engine
(and took almost a year at that), so now our engine is with another mechanic
for a full rebuild
at an additional $7K. Everything is taking three times as long and costing twice as much as we thought it would. The total cost will easily be double what we had estimated.....but beyond that is the TIME!!! Holy heck.
Now, 2 years later, we are hoping to retire at the end of June and we are really sweating whether the boat will be "done enough" to take it south in the fall, but we're certainly hoping we can get it there by deferring as many of the "non-essential for operation" items until after we get to Florida
and finish them next winter. And we're more than willing to do that.
Now, to your question.... The notion of giving up just isn't on the table at all for us. Fortunately we haven't discovered anything that is structural in nature, and that's a huge plus. The only restoration
we ever "gave up" on was because of structural issues.
At the same time we were looking at this boat we were offered an opportunity to buy back our CD28, which we had done a very nice restoration
on. At a point they actually offered the boat to us for less than they paid us for it and they had done additional upgrades including a new cruising main. We have had moments (many) when we have wished we could just turn the clock back and gone that other way. If we had, we would have a smaller boat, but it would be a boat we know everything about, we know it is absolutely fit to go anywhere we want so we could have retired, stepped on board and sailed away. We have had that coversation a couple of time and it is depressing, but we have to take stock of what we are gaining by the decision that we did make, which is a much more livable boat, which may in the end make a very large difference in how much we enjoy living aboard
and cruising long term.
There are also the practical financial considerations involved in giving up. Regardless of how much we have already invested, a boat that is basically disassembled and unable to sail without several more months work is not going to be worth much to anyone else so the $$$$ and two seasons of work we have already invested would be lost
. Yet if we continue and do even the minimum that would be required to get it sailing so it could be sold we would be past the point of wanting to give up on it. When you're in retirement's door is not the time to start throwing away large sums of cash. Feeling that I had wasted two years of work would bother me just as much.
We try to focus on why we bought it in the first place, because it is a beautiful boat, a design that we find aesthetically very appealing, by a designer
we admire and built by a yard we respect. Even in her current
unfinished state she still makes my heart flutter when she comes into view. We love the way these boats sail, and when I am inside her I just know I could be happy living on her for a very long time. And taken as a whole that's why the notion of giving up just isn't on the table. We have even discussed what we might do if she isn't ready to make the trip south this fall and we have agreed that we would find something else to do over next winter, maybe an extended camping trip in warmer climes, or a seasonal rental in Florida
, then come back next spring and finish her. That's the level of our resolve.
I don't know if that helps you at all, but if misery loves company you can love us.