Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-07-2015, 16:27   #46

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
When it's time to quit

I have seen more than a few folks miss out because they couldn't deal with a "my way or the highway" demeanor. Being willing to hop to then await further is part of a can do attitude.

I prefer to be barked at in a concise manner over a pretty please in a coordinated effort.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.

Old 26-07-2015, 16:27   #47

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius
Re: When it's time to quit

My inspiration has always been Jackrabbit Johanson who was credited with introducing ski resorts to America. I remember his 100th birthday when he X-country skied 50 miles and finished it with a snow bath. His mantra was to never quit moving. I believe he died in a cabin, by himself, in BC. He was well over 100. My grandfather was over 100 when he died and was still working on projects. Smoked 2 packs of straight camels a day. Never say die.

Old 26-07-2015, 17:11   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: between boats

Based on the mstrebe post, I may take my boat off the market.
Old 26-07-2015, 17:29   #49

Boat: Rafiki 37

Fun thread. I'm at the other end of this question having just set out (sort of). My spouse and I have just said goodbye to our only land home, and are slowly setting out on a cruising adventure ... one that starts with a motorcycle journey. We are 48 and 52. We decided now is the time, even though we don't have enough money to live till we die.

So when is it time to quit? I dunno, but I know it's time to start. I guess we'll quit when it stops being fun, something better comes along, or we run out of money.

Why go fast, when you can go slow
Old 26-07-2015, 17:38   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
So when is it time to quit? I dunno, but I know it's time to start. I guess we'll quit when it stops being fun, something better comes along, or we run out of money.
Mike, if you don't start, then the quitting problem never comes up! Good onya for getting away... you are essentially the same ages that Ann an I were when we took off in 1986. You have a lot of good years ahead... worry about quitting later on, say in about 40 years!

Jim
Old 26-07-2015, 23:27   #51

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Fun for me to read these comments which addresses a lifestyle of adventure and action rather than waiting for retirement or death. You can always make enough money to live and retirement can be a death sentence. I will always "work".
I am including one more comment on something I have done many times in order to pursue unrealistic projects that my wise friends always laugh at. Many young people want to learn how to sail and fix boats. There always has to be a fair trade but it can be other things besides money. I have three boat projects currently and two students helping me. I am giving them half ownership in a 23' Fiberform that I picked up for nothing. They help me and they can use it to explore the San Juans. Tricky business but it can work out and working with young people rejuvenates me. Never abandon your dream because others don't agree with it.
Old 27-07-2015, 04:39   #52
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Life doesn't end with boating.
Old 27-07-2015, 06:46   #53

Boat: Ferrocement Converted Trawler, 13m

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Life doesn't end with boating.

Mine probably will.

Peace.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:14   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Colorado Springs, Co but the boat is in Corpus Christi, TX
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

It's scary. Walking away from a good job where you're depended on. People trust you absolutely, give you the keys to their homes, take your counsel and spend their hard earned money based on your input. But we're doing it. Taking possession of a 1982 Cape Dory 36 end of this month that we bought end of July and hoping to have it paid off in two years. After that, I'll be 53 and we're leaving everything behind to follow our dream.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:35   #55

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Hadn't thought much about my physical condition, I now single hand my Bristol 41.1, at 67, no issues. I recently had a lady friend aboard for a week or so, and after several days, she commented about how much work it is on the boat. Hadn't thought much about it. I jerry jugged water back to the boat, and was lifting 6 gallon jugs from the dinghy to the deck. She asked if they were heavy, and I said yes, but gotta do it. After talking about it for awhile, I realized that boating helps keep me in good shape, flexible, and alert. I think at this point in life, not having the boat would cause to to slow down. It does get to you after awhile when the chores, repairs and maintenance become a bit over whelming, both physically and financially, but usually work through it after a good day of sailing when all is good again. I think that there will come a time when I will admit to my self, it's just time. Hopefully not for many years, but I am sure it will.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:55   #56

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
Hadn't thought much about my physical condition, I now single hand my Bristol 41.1, at 67, no issues. I recently had a lady friend aboard for a week or so, and after several days, she commented about how much work it is on the boat. Hadn't thought much about it. I jerry jugged water back to the boat, and was lifting 6 gallon jugs from the dinghy to the deck. She asked if they were heavy, and I said yes, but gotta do it. After talking about it for awhile, I realized that boating helps keep me in good shape, flexible, and alert. I think at this point in life, not having the boat would cause to to slow down. It does get to you after awhile when the chores, repairs and maintenance become a bit over whelming, both physically and financially, but usually work through it after a good day of sailing when all is good again. I think that there will come a time when I will admit to my self, it's just time. Hopefully not for many years, but I am sure it will.

Kudos sir. You keep the boat, and the boat keeps you.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 11-08-2015, 10:07   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Nicely put!!
Old 11-08-2015, 10:36   #58

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Quote:
Kudos indeed! Carry right on until you have to find a way to do things a little differently, and then carry right on again. Repeat as necessary.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 11:47   #59
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

A set of barbells is cheaper
=D
Old 11-08-2015, 12:34   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Very good thread! Thanks for posting it. A wakeup call!

Thanks for helping out your senior friend. I'm certain it was appreciated.

I've determined that my friends are aging much better than I am and it's time to say goodbye to sailing. I still have dreams but the energy and strength is not there. I can just barely concentrate enough to do chores around the home. A burglary at my dreamed of mountain cabin has set me back in years. I'll never be able to put that much energy into another project.

I appreciated the time I was able to spend learning, instructing, cruising and helping other folks with their projects when my help was needed. I enjoyed crewing just as much as sailing my own vessel and didn't mind salty old curmudgeons. Those guys kind of reminded me of my father or some old Navy Chiefs of which I was one.

I hope this thread helps others who are younger or younger at heart make up their minds to just go do it now even if its a smaller boat or you don't think the boat is quite ready.

Now all I have to do is get rid of a very large project boat.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: