Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2011, 18:59   #1

When Is Your Dinghy Too Big ?

Currently have a 7.5' livingston cat type dinghy /3.5 merc. Its nice.... in smooth water but wet and just feels unsafe in any real chop. How big is too big? I draft almost 6' and the dink is my way of getting around and actually having fun . Does anybody tow a considerable size dink behind or even a smaller boston whaler type ? Say 12-14 ft or so ? Im heading to carib and am aware of dinghy theft but the dink seems pretty important item to be comfortable on
chadlaroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 19:14   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Towing a dink, even in "mild" weather and short passages is not a good idea. Just get the biggest dink you can fit on the boat.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 19:21   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
I think a dinghy is too big if it exceeds your beam.
Old 16-01-2011, 19:25   #4

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36
We are cruising on a 25' boat, and towing a 10' dink. It is a nesting model though. It fills up the foredeck when nested, but it does fit.
Old 16-01-2011, 19:37   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
the 8 -10 ft carib ribs with a15hp is a real work horse,and light enough to lift at night on a halyard.very popular in the windies.
we use a 13ft zodiac with a 25hp,will plane with5 in it at a push hav had 13 people,also have an 8ft hard rowing dingy which if in doubt we leave on the beach,so some one can go and get the bigger dingy to ferry crew back and forth in areas known for dingy theft.
both dingys we lift at night if nesscary.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 19:43   #6

Boat: c&c landfall 43
cruising mexico we have a 8' inflatable with hard bottom and 8 hp engine. seems to me this is pretty typical. If I had to give my 2 cents, get a 8 to 10' inflatable with the aluminum (light weight) deep v bottom. Ours has practically a flat bottom and it is next to impossible to get it to plane with 3 adults but the same size dink with same engine and a deep v will plane almost instantly.
limmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 21:45   #7

Boat: Mason 53
G'day, mate. Ditto on limmer's advice (and get the biggest tube diameter you can for the length) and keep your 3.5 merc for just getting to the beach and short trips, if you have the room. BTW, still on same PVC tubes, 13 years on. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 04:52   #8

Boat: Traditional 30
It really depends on the size of your sail boat and how you store the tender. If its on the foredeck or on davits. On davits you arent overly restricted, although the beam of the boat is a good max. otherwise you may have to dunk the tender everytime you pull alongside something. If you store on the foredeck, you need to consider work space around it. ie getting to the forestay etc. Perhaps the best way is to answer those questions then grab a tape measure

Cheers
Oz
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 05:20   #9
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadlaroche View Post
How big is too big?
When you trail your boat behind your dingy
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 06:23   #10

35' L 11' beam--- I do have davits but only really use them to haul out at night. When underway I pull the dink up on board in back. ( Im a center cockpit)
I like the idea of a rib but also like the idea of a hi sided aluminum fishing skiff say 12' in length that I can run around the islands in. Kinda a Cadillac of run-abouts

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/COMPAQ%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.png[/IMG]
Old 17-01-2011, 06:39   #11
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Personally I'd stick with a RIB. I use my RIB for more than just getting to shore. I dive and explore, a lot, I have a 10.5 Avon with a 15hp which just barely fits between the hulls. I re-inforced my davits to carry the extra weight on crossings. A 10hp motor is the smallest I would consider though many, if not most, have smaller lighter outboards. I have a 5hp merc that has seen maybe 20 hours total in the three years I have owned it. It's great for the light weight but just lacks speed and doesn't have the power in strong currents. I just don't see many skiffs on smaller sail boats. Dingies is an area I wouldn't try to be smarter than the rest and re-invent the wheel.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 06:50   #12

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
We use a West Marine 350 RIB Hypalon and really like it, it's big and sturdy, about $2700. We also carry a 14 ft Jonboat for flat water, bigger, sturdier. Use a 4 hp motor and just put put along. I think West Marine sells their RIBs at cost just to get their name out there.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 06:54   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo b View Post
We use a West Marine 350 RIB Hypalon and really like it, it's big and sturdy, about $2700. We also carry a 14 ft Jonboat for flat water, bigger, sturdier. Use a 4 hp motor and just put put along. I think West Marine sells their RIBs at cost just to get their name out there.
A jon boat type was what I was thinking of just higher sides and pointy front. They're pretty light now.
Old 17-01-2011, 07:05   #14

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
The problem with Jonboats is that they are not self bailing, and if you get caught in rough seas you will swamp. An RIB will always sit high in the water and keep running.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 08:03   #15

Boat: Beneteau 41S5
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Towing a dink, even in "mild" weather and short passages is not a good idea. Just get the biggest dink you can fit on the boat.
To each their own of course. I tow a 10.5 AB RIB with a 15hp tilted up wherever I go. Adjust the painter to sit safely in the wake and life is good. It can also set upside down forward of the mast when use is not imminent, with the engine on a mount on the stern pulpit.
97fxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy