Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2018, 12:10   #16

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’
Re: When is it time and How DO You Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumagas View Post
Ok guys
My wife and I are 9-5ers on the daily grind....We have been looking to take the Plunge living aboard ....we are looking at a leopard cats and have the dockage and all the specifics worked out. But What MAKEs YOU JUST Do it ? I am pretty confident Financials are in Place however long term inflation is a concern....We are TYPE "A" People and Always like our ducks in Line. Just Love to know what others have experienced when they Knew its time to JUST DO IT .

Thanks in advance with any experiences
When you find yourself posting in boating forums with random and erratic capitalization it is time to make the break.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 13:39   #17

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Traumagas, well, when you sell your house, part of the contract is that there is a date you agree to be out of it. The last few days are spent cleaning what is now empty that prevented you from making it nice as possible for the new owners. In my case, it meant mowing the lawn one last time, making sure everything was watered, and ready to go.

I cried a lot that last day, when I dismantled the home I'd raised my kids in, sorta saying goodbye to that time of my life. The house was rented to my daughter and her boyfriend, at the time, and we were already living aboard, and still, it was not without feeling.

I don't know if you are really Type A people, or not. But it is a valid approach to say you'll do it as long as it's fun, and if you find a cruising lifestyle isn't for you, just move on to something else. It really isn't for everyone. And, generally, people do move on after a while, few stay with it as long as Jim and I have.

If you are a Type A, Boatie's right, it won't suit. Essentially you would be dropping out of the society that nurtured you and saying it is so inadequate you want to leave, sort of an anti-social act, in a way. But if you both really want to give it a go, then taking another look at what is bothering you about the cost of living (possibly escalating medical costs as you age?) and seeing what you need to do to address it will help.

What you really need, that would benefit you the most, is sea time. Some people take to it, and others definitely do not. The next thing you need is the ability to learn a bunch of new skills unless they're already in place: needing others to keep your systems running adds stress, increases costs, and makes you more dependent on others than you want to be.

grantmc did a really nice job of the downsides for you, you might want to re-read that post. It was a very honest way of saying the cruising lifestyle is not all skittles and beer, it is not always easy, it is not like a vlog of perpetual youth and innocence, where nothing serious goes wrong. Something serious CAN go wrong, and must be dealt with at that time. It is a lifestyle not without risk.

Ann
Old 02-11-2018, 14:05   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumagas View Post
..................We are TYPE "A" People and Always like our ducks in Line .................
Type A will suit you well. All you need to do is simplify the number of ducks. We moved aboard easily with only one duck. There's a great freedom in non-ownership.
Old 02-11-2018, 15:04   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I've been on the water most of 60 years. Living aboard and cruising are 2 different things. The people I have seen that become unhappy with the cruising leave mostly leave because of lack of comfort aboard, more work - hauling groceries, laundry, and the motion of the ocean. Money usually isn't the reason because a way can be found to liveaboard cheaply.
If you haven't spent time on the ocean aboard the type of boat you want, you need to lease, charter, and get some ocean time. And you need to look at chores you will have aboard that are easier on land. If you don't have laundry aboard, that's a big chore and time waster.
I've always had big boats, so it's a tainted view. But most failures I see is because of buying a boat too small. No private space, limited room for food storage, clothes, kitchen accessories, hobbies, limited fresh water, and the big one, discomfort on the ocean. Men, especially those with outdoor experience, are use to putting up with some discomfort to pursue their activity. Most women are not. It's almost always the wives that pull their men away from living aboard and cruising.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 15:11   #20

i am no expert on these types of boats but the leopard looks ( to me ) a nice choice in boat and maybe one i would take myself if i could afford one, seems to me you already know that it is time to go ,, so just go !!!
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 15:23   #21

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

In addition to what has been said so far, let me point out an economic consideration: we will almost certainly have a recession in the next two years. I point this out because part of my personal strategy is to get laid off in the recession and claim the severance I'll be entitled to, rather than just walk away. While the severance will not be huge, it will be somewhere between 25% and 50% of a year's salary - a very nice cruising kitty. If that is a possibility for you in your situation, consider hanging on a year or so.

In the meantime, I'm using my current income to upgrade my boat, and I'm using vacation to do 2-3 week cruises to the Bahamas. In a year, I'll probably use time-off-without-pay to do a bigger trip. Fortunately, I have a boss where I can work that kind of thing out. Probably by 2020 we'll be in recession and my company will be looking for people to take packages, and I'll put up my hand. Worst case, if no package, I will have finished upgrading the boat while employed. It's all part of my cynical, calculating nature, but I've worked enough 80 hour weeks for the current employer that I don't feel bad about it.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 15:30   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_n_Audrey View Post
In addition to what has been said so far, let me point out an economic consideration: we will almost certainly have a recession in the next two years. I point this out because part of my personal strategy is to get laid off in the recession and claim the severance I'll be entitled to, rather than just walk away. While the severance will not be huge, it will be somewhere between 25% and 50% of a year's salary - a very nice cruising kitty. If that is a possibility for you in your situation, consider hanging on a year or so.

In the meantime, I'm using my current income to upgrade my boat, and I'm using vacation to do 2-3 week cruises to the Bahamas. In a year, I'll probably use time-off-without-pay to do a bigger trip. Fortunately, I have a boss where I can work that kind of thing out. Probably by 2020 we'll be in recession and my company will be looking for people to take packages, and I'll put up my hand. Worst case, if no package, I will have finished upgrading the boat while employed. It's all part of my cynical, calculating nature, but I've worked enough 80 hour weeks for the current employer that I don't feel bad about it.
huh !! only 80 ?,, so you have been having 4 hours off every sunday afternoon ( slacker !! ) to upgrade your boat ,, what is it , a hobbycat ?
Old 02-11-2018, 15:38   #23

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
huh !! only 80 ?,, so you have been having 4 hours off every sunday afternoon ( slacker !! ) to upgrade your boat ,, what is it , a hobbycat ?
Sorry, and I am heartily ashamed of my slacking ways. I have worked 100 hour weeks in the past, but I've sworn those off. Actually, the years of 80 hour weeks are well behind me. I'm now more of a pretend-I'm-working-40 hour-a-week guy who actually does about 30, while putting in 20 hours a week on the boat.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 15:40   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_n_Audrey View Post
Sorry, and I am heartily ashamed of my slacking ways. I have worked 100 hour weeks in the past, but I've sworn those off. Actually, the years of 80 hour weeks are well behind me. I'm now more of a pretend-I'm-working-40 hour-a-week guy who actually does about 30, while putting in 20 hours a week on the boat.
oh you lucky bu**er , now go on and enjoy..
Old 02-11-2018, 15:41   #25

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
If all your ducks are in a row, do it before time slips by and it is to late.
PS
Make damn good and sure you know what you are getting into and it is a mutual dream.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 16:49   #26

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

As some have alluded to, it might be wise for you to do an extended bareboat charter. That way you get a pretty good taste of the lifestyle, and it is a lifestyle.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 21:04   #27

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
As some have alluded to, it might be wise for you to do an extended bareboat charter. That way you get a pretty good taste of the lifestyle, and it is a lifestyle.
This is a commonly expressed position...and I disagree with it.

Chartering does get you time on the water and some sailing experience, both of which are good thngs. But, it does not give you the parts of live aboard cruising that often cause stress for the newcomer. The dirty jobs, the maintenance, the oil changes, the impeller changes, the toilet unplugging, even provisioning...these things are taken care of by the charter outfit. And most charter agreements preclude night sailing and forbid going to challenging locations... the 'character building" experiences that lead you to competence.

And finally, the cost of long term chartering, especially of a largish cat can eat into the cruising fund in a big way.

Thus my feeling that chartering is great for vacations but not so great for building cruising skills or developing forbearance for the vicissitudes of the cruising life.

Jim
Old 02-11-2018, 22:36   #28

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
This is a commonly expressed position...and I disagree with it.

Chartering does get you time on the water and some sailing experience, both of which are good thngs. But, it does not give you the parts of live aboard cruising that often cause stress for the newcomer. The dirty jobs, the maintenance, the oil changes, the impeller changes, the toilet unplugging, even provisioning...these things are taken care of by the charter outfit. And most charter agreements preclude night sailing and forbid going to challenging locations... the 'character building" experiences that lead you to competence.

And finally, the cost of long term chartering, especially of a largish cat can eat into the cruising fund in a big way.

Thus my feeling that chartering is great for vacations but not so great for

building cruising skills or developing forbearance for the vicissitudes of the cruising life.

Jim
You make valid points. But in reality don’t we all have to contend with these issues one way or another in our land based lives ? At the same time not enjoying a beautiful sunset with a warm breeze blowing in our face. I get it, cruising and the live aboard lifestyle is not for everyone. And I am guessing the OP is not so nieve as to think they are not going to face these issues. But given the choice, I don’t have much of a problem figuring out where I want to be.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:11   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
You make valid points. But in reality don’t we all have to contend with these issues one way or another in our land based lives ? At the same time not enjoying a beautiful sunset with a warm breeze blowing in our face. I get it, cruising and the live aboard lifestyle is not for everyone. And I am guessing the OP is not so nieve as to think they are not going to face these issues. But given the choice, I don’t have much of a problem figuring out where I want to be.
I agree with Jim. There is very little parallel, particularly when you are out cruising and there is no Home Depot a few blocks away! There is a huge difference between actually living aboard (and cruising) and land life. Much more than a breeze!

Having said that, there are many new comers to living aboard who pay (hopefully competent) people to change their oil, probably just like they paid people to unblock their sink drain, ashore. And, to an extent, this can work for those who live aboard in a marina. Or simply cruise from marina to marina. And who don't mind spending lots and lots on help.

The biggest difference, I think, in cruising and land life are the requirements for self-sufficiency and patience, and persistence.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:06   #30

Boat: CLC Skerry

My theory when indecisiveness strikes is: Let's do it now, and even if it doesn't work out, we'll have learned a lot. Learning something new about your capabilities and your wants and needs is the worst thing that can happen. And being type A, don't let perfection be the enemy of good enough. Now GO!
rhubstuff is offline   Reply With Quote