Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2016, 09:08   #46

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 510
Re: What's your WiFi solution ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Well, the Huawei B593 is a pretty heavy duty router in its own right. It has 4 Ethernet ports, USB for a remote hard drive, and even a built-in VOIP card with two phone ports.

I think I might be able to plug the Bullet directly into it via Ethernet and I think Internet access will then be available anywhere on the network.

I don't think I need to worry about switching between Bullet and mobile phone data, as they don't conflict with each other. I would just disconnect from the mobile network if I had a good WiFi connection and vice versa.

Anyone see any problem with this? Any nuances of setup?
I see no problem with this. I would use the Wan port of the router. Allow the router to act as it would at home with a traditional landline isp. This way there is less set up to do. You can still access the bullet or cell data device through the router. If you didn't plan on switching back and forth, I would allow the bullet to act as the router/DHCP server with the other router acting as a switch and access point. I have no experience with the mobile hot spot devices, not sure if they have the capability or not to act as a router.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The bigger problem (if all my assumptions are right) is boat network data. It would be nice to have this on the main network, since tablet computers can't connect to more than one WiFi network at a time (it is otherwise with my PC). I think the Navico system will work without the proprietary GoFree router -- meaning I could skip the GoFree module and plug directly into the Huawei router -- but I think there are some complexities in the setup, and I'm a little nervous about having the boat network merged with the Internet.
This gets tough. It really depends on how your nav gear handles IP addresses and DHCP. I had some luck with my Raymarine gear. Since the master MFD assigned IP addresses, but not to non-raymarine equipment, I had to use static IP addresses. The bullet plugged into the wifi router through a regular lan port. DHCP was turned off on the router to avoid conflict. Computers and such were then manually assigned IP's with the default gateway set to the bullets IP. I used Google's dns servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). It worked ok, but at the time, I had a roku which was my main reason for the wifi, but I couldn't set manual network settings on it, so it didn't work. The other downfall was how I wired the system power wise. The wifi router was the switch for my Raymarine gear (radar, second display). I wired it so the switch came on with the MFD's so the two would be connected always. So to use the wifi, I needed to have my MFD's on as well. I have since abandoned that setup, the two systems are no longer linked. I tried combining the two using static routes and other advanced settings in the routers, but it was unreliable. Raymarine has just updated there firmware to allow the units with built-in wifi to connect to access points. So it looks like I will finally be able to bridge the two networks through the MFD when required. I have not updated the firmware yet though, being a blizzard and wintery outside now!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
CaptNemoO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 16:00   #47
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinboybob View Post
I mounted a Bullet Titanium Radio/Router on my radar mast with an A/P inside the boat so we can network everything. It's got an extra high-gain antenna on it too. I've been mostly using it to pick up our marina wifi (or the guest wifi when traveling).

Unfortunately, the days are gone when people would buy a router at Best Buy and leave it unprotected. There are very few unlocked A/Ps around anymore. I think only once during our 3 week cruise last summer was I able to pick up an unsecured A/P called "Cottage" while anchored off Fisher's Island in CT.

Here's the blog entry about this particular project
Argon Voyages: Winter (and spring) (and summer) project: Argon gets WIFI
ha Cabinboybob - yes, I used that router too! the only open one left in Connecticut that actually works.
Old 25-01-2016, 17:25   #48

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

The main use today of wifi is to pick up marina APs, which are commonly available. Sometimes a shoreside restaurant or bar has an open AP but that is getting scarce too. Still there is a benefit to having a good wifi client for the times in a marina.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 17:41   #49
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

also - many cable or cellular plans include free wifi hotspots shared from the homes of other users. I have had good luck with finding strong Xfinity spots to log into all around Massachusetts and Connecticut.
Old 25-01-2016, 18:23   #50

Boat: 1978 Lancer 30 MkIV

I've gone the Ubiquiti Bullet & AirGateWay combo married to a DC POE injector & a 12/24v transformer. Simple, effective, compact, low draw.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Rock-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 11:21   #51

Boat: Catana 472

T Mobile is our answer. Worked in the Med, working now in the Caribbean. For the iPad and a phone it's less than $100/month unless you make phone calls. Then .20/minute which relates to $12/hour. We use it for back up navigation, Internet, phone calls etc.
The global plan rocks. No roaming!
sail2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 11:31   #52

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: What's your WiFi solution ?

Mine is bullet/omni antenna. I am using the connection from my last marina which is in sight.

This isn't really a fair post as I'm just crowing about getting my bullet back up and running!!!!!!!

Forgive me please.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 00:06   #53
mub

Boat: wayquiez centurion 47

I have a bullet mounted on the mast head with a 12db omni. Gives me WiFi range of ~25 miles on a good day and tall mast. I live in Seattle so rain is the issue.

---
Mub
Earendel
Wauquiez Centruion 47 #4
mub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wifi