Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2013, 06:25   #46

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Re: What's Wrong with this Pic, or Look before you Untie ......

The snakes have now discovered that Bubba is asleep at the switch...they will swarm back in droves..snake party at Z's place.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 06:26   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Training View Post
Ok guys, I am terrified of snakes. Our plan is to be in the Bahamas and Caribbean specifically. Will I have a problem?
You may have a problem with unreasonable fears like those supported by exaggerated stories, but there is no real reason to limit your cruising due to snakes. You are far more likely to have problems with mosquitos that carry the Dengue fever. Zeehag had mentioned that earlier on one of her posts. Mosquitos, people, spiny sea urchins, ciguaterra, jellyfish, barracuda, sting rays, and sharks all cause more risks that snakes in the Caribbean, but don't let those scare you either!
Old 29-08-2013, 06:30   #48

Boat: Skookum 53'

Roasted snake is very tasty. I probably wouldn't have eaten that one, too small. Fear of snakes is a genetic thing like fear of falling.
Old 29-08-2013, 06:33   #49

Boat: none(fornow)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Roasted snake is very tasty. I probably wouldn't have eaten that one, too small. Fear of snakes is a genetic thing like fear of falling.
I agree, I had roasted western diamond back a few years ago in western Texas.
kcmarcet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 06:38   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmarcet View Post
I agree, I had roasted western diamond back a few years ago in western Texas.
I'd check the local food carts see if they have any specials after the snake was taken off z's boat.
Old 29-08-2013, 06:40   #51

Boat: Skookum 53'

I had to eat a raw rattler in boot camp in Missouri, long time ago.
Old 29-08-2013, 06:45   #52
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the snakee was cute---i would only make it fall into open ocean had i found it at sea..lol---but was hiding in my lines after juliette, not yet named , left us--i think poor thing was resting after a looong swim in windy waters--we did clock 35-40 kts here at dock before juliette was named and before she left us for cabo san lucas and golfo de california....

i only called seguridad because the brat tried to strike me 7 times--5 is reasonable, 7 is over the top..lol and wouldnt bite the line i wanted it to bite...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 10:25   #53
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Here in the (West) Caribbean, the Bushmaster snakes are the worst. They will lay in wait for somebody to pass and then violently attack and even pursue the unlucky who come too near. The locals that don't carry a shotgun into the bush are the locals that can't afford one! Of all the poisenous snakes, only the King Cobra can grow bigger than the Bushmaster (14')

That said, the Fer de Lance, or two-step snake, at 7-8', isn't funny either. Also a big very poisonous snake that will attack. He bites, you take two more steps and that's it. The Vietcong put them in the tunnels to kill the yankees that came in (the tunnel rats). True story.

Then there is the 20-minute snake... and so much more. Did I mention the jumping snake that goes for your throat? also poisenous.

More info: http://www.czbrats.com/Facts/snakes.htm

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 10:34   #54

Boat: none(fornow)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Here in the (West) Caribbean, the Bushmaster snakes are the worst. They will lay in wait for somebody to pass and then violently attack and even pursue the unlucky who come too near. The locals that don't carry a shotgun into the bush are the locals that can't afford one! Of all the poisenous snakes, only the King Cobra can grow bigger than the Bushmaster (14')

That said, the Fer de Lance, or two-step snake, at 7-8', isn't funny either. Also a big very poisonous snake that will attack. He bites, you take two more steps and that's it. The Vietcong put them in the tunnels to kill the yankees that came in (the tunnel rats). True story.

Then there is the 20-minute snake... and so much more. Did I mention the jumping snake that goes for your throat? also poisenous.

More info: Venomous Snakes of Panama

Here in Florida we have water moccasins or cottonmouths which is extremely aggressive.
kcmarcet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 14:12   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Here in the (West) Caribbean, the Bushmaster snakes are the worst................. the Fer de Lance, or two-step snake, at 7-8', isn't funny either. Also a big very poisonous snake that will attack. He bites, you take two more steps and that's it. The Vietcong put them in the tunnels to kill the yankees that came in (the tunnel rats). True story. ......................
Jedi is absolutely correct about the presence of the Bushmaster & Fer de Lance in the mainland areas of Central and South America, but they are not found among the Caribbean Islands. These are very poisionous snakes, but they will avoid people if possible and the Bushmasters are becomming quite rare due to habitat loss. As far as the "true story" of the Viet Gong placing the Fer de Lance snakes in tunnels to kill yankees, this just can't be true. There are no Fer de Lance snakes in all of Asia.
Old 29-08-2013, 14:37   #56
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post

Jedi is absolutely correct about the presence of the Bushmaster & Fer de Lance in the mainland areas of Central and South America, but they are not found among the Caribbean Islands. These are very poisionous snakes, but they will avoid people if possible and the Bushmasters are becomming quite rare due to habitat loss. As far as the "true story" of the Viet Gong placing the Fer de Lance snakes in tunnels to kill yankees, this just can't be true. There are no Fer de Lance snakes in all of Asia.
My memory failed me... I confused that with the 3-step snake... but the rest was pretty tight; from the Washington Post: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...041501925.html

Below ground, Vietnamese guerrillas sprung lethal surprises at every turn. A favorite trick, Tien explains, was to tie an ultra-venomous snake (dubbed the three-step snake by virtue of its poison allowing you only three steps before it laid you out) to a bamboo stick, which, when tipped, released its irate captive onto the careless trespasser wriggling along in the dark. Only hand-picked teams of specially trained U.S. "tunnel rats" had a reasonable chance of emerging from the burrows alive.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 14:49   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Jedi, 'sounds right. Substitute the Fer de Lance for another snake and it all fits, Thanks.
Old 29-08-2013, 14:57   #58

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71
Awww....so cute, Zee! Glad he lived another day. We had a pet Cal king snake for years. Memo. Cutest little guy. Was very friendly. I'm not sure Mongo would go near a snake but his curiosity does get the best of him at times. I had to catch geckos in our Florida house and set them free or he dispatched them quickly, was so sad when they stopped "playing."
Old 29-08-2013, 16:45   #59

Boat: Beneteau 473
Geez Zee, what an exciting day. Probably good Bubba was sleeping. We had a boa that looked exactly like that one as a pet when I was a kid. Hissss was very good at scaring away unwanted salesmen (long story). One day, when Hissss was about 6-feet long, he made a pass at our miniature dachshund, Heidi, the next day he was living at the zoo! Mom loved the dog more apparently.

Glad all turned out well.

Robyn
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 16:53   #60
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

smart move you got me laughing out loud hard......
HISSSSSSSS is a wonderful name for those--is awesome sound from that tiny lil thing--such a loud noise....

gekkos--i need some---bubba disappeared 2 cuties when we got to zihuatenejo==they were genuine la cruz gekkos, too.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote