Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2011, 07:14   #16

Re: What's Up with Living on the Hook in Florida ?

Hmmm...the "don't do it" and negative advice seems to come from those not doing it! :-) We are full-time cruisers, just spent the entire summer cruising and anchoring in that area, 100% anchored except when we had to leave the boat in a marina while away on trips. We are retired but there are other people in some of the anchorages who go to work every day and haven't left the anchorage EVER.

Had one water cop stop by during the summer to enforce an illegal city ordinance regulating anchoring, told him that HE was the one violating Florida law, he ran away, I sent emails to the mayor, chief of police and the FWC, FWC called the city attorney and the city council recinded their illegal ordinance! :-)

There is a lot about the "Pilot Program" in Florida on the Internet right now. We are trying to protect our anchoring rights. Nothing has been approved or passed yet. It will only apply to five pilot sites with mooring fields so for the next few years anyway anchoring outside mooring fields or navigation channels anywhere else in Florida is your right protected by law. If the five pilot sites pass any really onerous anchoring ordinances we will take them into federal court!

So come on down to paradise, anchor, and enjoy. But please maintain your boat, don't tresspass or irritate the dirt dewellers, or do anything to give them ammunition to regulate anchoring.
Downtothesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 08:00   #17

Boat: Pearson 323 - Island Breezes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrackzz View Post
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3] I'm reading weird things about anchoring rights in Florida.
Here's the gist of it. It used to be that every town had their own laws about anchoring out. It was a confusing mess and the state overruled all those laws because the state really owns the land under the water and all the various local laws were starting to mess with tourism.

So the situation right now is that yes, you can legally anchor out permanently, but some local areas still try to enforce their own (invalid) laws.

However the state is basically trying to come up with a good solution to allow local areas to restrict some anchoring. A sort of state-wide plan that would allow cities to enforce a "we don't want derelict boats here" rule that isn't unfriendly to tourism. These are the pilot programs. Different cities are installing mooring fields and putting in place ways to limit anchoring near those fields. The state is going to look at these trial runs and see what works and what doesn't.

Frankly I don't know how well anchoring out and having a land based job will work out. You need a spot for your car, you need to haul in water, deal with pump outs, you'll want internet and so on and you have to worry about dragging anchor in a storm. For a couple hundred bucks you can pick up a mooring in a lot of areas and have access to laundry, pump out, water, car parking, internet, a dinghy dock and so on and not have to be worried about being hassled by The Man.

If I was unemployed? Yeah, I'd be anchoring out a lot. That's one of my goals, be self sufficient and if I lose my job, well, I own my home and can just put her in a good spot and start fishing for my dinner. I can spend all day doing that and hand washing my clothes in a bucket with Joy. But if I had a job a couple hundred bucks for a ball with all the benefits just seems like it makes sense.

And if the work was steady with a dress code, give me a dock with shore power and a short walk to the car.
LauderBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 08:42   #18

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Re: Whats up with living on the hook in Florida?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Technically, perhaps. But in reality, if you want to not be harassed, you cooperate. If you have very deep pockets and can afford to challenge the local authorities, then I guess you can, but if you have an emergency call because some stranger is trying to board your boat, how quickly will they respond? The people I know around here who have lived anchored out here have found that a spoonful of sugar really does help the medicine go down.
You'd place an emergency call if some stranger was trying to board your boat? A stranger trying to board my boat would not be so lucky.
Old 17-10-2011, 16:25   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtothesea View Post
We are full-time cruisers, just spent the entire summer cruising and anchoring in that area...
Yeah, and I bet you weren't getting up and going to a land-based job every morning. No one has told him NOT to do it. We are only pointing out some of the logistical concerns that he needs to think about before jumping in blind.

This is a major life change that he is contemplating, and we would be doing him a grave disservice if we didn't give him all of the information that he needs, so he can understand what he will need to do in order for it to work.

As for the public transportation around the area, yeah, there are a few places around St. Pete where public transportation is available. Getting up and down Gulf Blvd is pretty easy. Around downtown St. Pete, not bad. Same for downtown Tampa. Otherwise, though? If you happen to be anchored in just the right spot, and working in just the right spot, then maybe public transportation could work out for you. In general, though, you cannot rely on buses to get you around the greater Tampa Bay area. Unless you are able to confine all your travels to a very limited area, you must have a car.

I wish it weren't so. I wish I could get around Tampa half as easily as I used to get around Denver, but I can't. Tampa Bay is an area where getting around requires driving. That's just the way it is.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 16:34   #20
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

across the river from the long term anchorage is place to stash a car---if you consult the big ferro ketch in the anchorage, you will learn where to stash it.
as for dragging in st pet--DO NOT ANCHOR IN THE BOX CALLED ST PETERSBURG MUNI ANCHORAGE. it sukks..everyone drags there. go to the mouth of the manatee river and speak with other anchorors there. is a good holding ground and worked well for us even in some of the tampa bay lightning storms. we decide to hang there instead of st petes as the silt over shale anchorage was inadequate. we dragged two time there in major wind. not fun. second time wee were saved by little church on the bay..lol...loong story,but the wind took us right to it....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 18:28   #21
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauderBoy View Post
Here's the gist of it. It used to be that every town had their own laws about anchoring out. It was a confusing mess and the state overruled all those laws because the state really owns the land under the water and all the various local laws were starting to mess with tourism.

So the situation right now is that yes, you can legally anchor out permanently, but some local areas still try to enforce their own (invalid) laws.

However the state is basically trying to come up with a good solution to allow local areas to restrict some anchoring. A sort of state-wide plan that would allow cities to enforce a "we don't want derelict boats here" rule that isn't unfriendly to tourism. These are the pilot programs. Different cities are installing mooring fields and putting in place ways to limit anchoring near those fields. The state is going to look at these trial runs and see what works and what doesn't.

Frankly I don't know how well anchoring out and having a land based job will work out. You need a spot for your car, you need to haul in water, deal with pump outs, you'll want internet and so on and you have to worry about dragging anchor in a storm. For a couple hundred bucks you can pick up a mooring in a lot of areas and have access to laundry, pump out, water, car parking, internet, a dinghy dock and so on and not have to be worried about being hassled by The Man.

If I was unemployed? Yeah, I'd be anchoring out a lot. That's one of my goals, be self sufficient and if I lose my job, well, I own my home and can just put her in a good spot and start fishing for my dinner. I can spend all day doing that and hand washing my clothes in a bucket with Joy. But if I had a job a couple hundred bucks for a ball with all the benefits just seems like it makes sense.

And if the work was steady with a dress code, give me a dock with shore power and a short walk to the car.

Unless he's a sneak-aboard, which can be pretty dicey, there will be an extra charge (good-sized one) for being a live-aboard. You wouldn't get away with being a sneak-aboard in this marina.

I know people who have anchored out and worked. It's hard but it can be done. Personally I would not want to do it but it can be done.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 18:28   #22

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the advice
Soundtrackzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 18:29   #23
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
across the river from the long term anchorage is place to stash a car---if you consult the big ferro ketch in the anchorage, you will learn where to stash it.
as for dragging in st pet--DO NOT ANCHOR IN THE BOX CALLED ST PETERSBURG MUNI ANCHORAGE. it sukks..everyone drags there. go to the mouth of the manatee river and speak with other anchorors there. is a good holding ground and worked well for us even in some of the tampa bay lightning storms. we decide to hang there instead of st petes as the silt over shale anchorage was inadequate. we dragged two time there in major wind. not fun. second time wee were saved by little church on the bay..lol...loong story,but the wind took us right to it....

Just inside the mouth of the Manatee River is a great live-aboard marina if you don't really want to dink back and forth. Can't think of the name of it -- it's across from Twin Dolphins. I don't know if TD allows live aboards but they'd probably be expensive.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 18:37   #24
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i dont knowabout the marina but i was anchored in mouth of manatee for over 2 weeks just 2010 and in 2009. NO PROBLEM .. there is a big white ferro cement ketch to ask the questions of -- they seem nice .. they have a family and jobs and dink across the river to their CAR and dont seem to mind,nor do water cops come out to bother anyone there
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 18:42   #25

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Working can be done from anchor. Many years ago on my first visit (by car) to St. Augustine I was hanging around the municipal marina daydreaming when two attractive ladies came walking down to the dock. They were both neatly dressed in slacks/blouses and looked like they had just gotten off work at a local law office. The only difference was that they were wearing boat shoes instead of heels. They walked to the dinghy dock and hopped into a double ended dory type of craft, then one of them rowed the other to a sailboat and dropped her off, then proceeded to row home to her own boat.
I remember thinking "How cool is that?!"
Old 17-10-2011, 20:58   #26

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Just go here.

Boca Ciega Yacht Club

Then click on good links at the top

or click on this

Anchorages West Cost Florida / Cruiser's Net I got this from that site.

then click on western Florida and a menu will drop down with the anchorages from Fort myer and the keys up to Hernando county. They also have Eastern Florida Anchorages there.

You can't anchor in Florida? Jeez Louise some of you guys need to get your boat out of the marina more. Just stay away from all the tourist areas as that's where all the water cops will hang out and write tickets.
Also at night the coast guard and water cops go to bed as soon as the sun goes down. So leave the boat early and get to it after dark and you will be fine.

Hey Zee ! I like the St Pete area I live here but your right the municipal marina and the The Pier area in general can be like anchoring in a washing machine. This leads to drug anchors.

Gulfport and Boca Ciega Bay on this side of the Bay is Great.They have a fourth Friday type thing where merchants bring out their wares on the street and bands play into the evening hours. I have a Tee Shirt that says If your to wierd for Gulfport you are just to wierd.... Go to the trading post it's a little shop just off main street you can't miss it and tell the owner you want one. Wayne said they are great!!! I went with her sister for a while but we still talk. Amazingly enough. They just can't get enough of the Waynester!!! But I digress.
Old 17-10-2011, 21:12   #27

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

P.S.
If you do drop anchor on a canal or protected cove surrounded by homes. Be courteous and well mannered. And don't stay to long or tresspass.
The problems from the past are derelict boats and poorly mannered people. (Not saying you are) But a million dollar home owner doesn't want to hear his neighbor that just pulled up all night long or catch them swimming in his pool.
Old 18-10-2011, 06:30   #28

Boat: Pearson 323 - Island Breezes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Just inside the mouth of the Manatee River is a great live-aboard marina if you don't really want to dink back and forth. Can't think of the name of it -- it's across from Twin Dolphins. I don't know if TD allows live aboards but they'd probably be expensive.
That's Regatta Point Marina. Both them and TD welcome liveaboards and have very nice facilities. Other liveaboard marinas are St Pete Municipal(reasonable price for the location, usually a waiting list). The Harborage Marina is pricey, but also allows liveaboards. Not far from TD and RP is I think a Sharkey's restaurant with liveaboard slips available that's pretty cheap.

For RP I think the rates were in the mid to upper teens per ft, but again, it was a very nice marina. If that area is anything like the east coast of Florida there are a lot of little no name marinas all over the place that don't really advertise. Most will allow liveaboards or turn a blind eye towards sneakaboards.

If you get outside of town just a tad(Tarpon springs, Venice) the slip prices will likely start to drop quite a bit.
LauderBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 10:39   #29
h20

KEYS anchoring! Loved all or the tips!
Whats the best way to anchor a 30 catalina?
two anchors? I had a 200 pound whopper anchor
in Hawaii for my fishing boat. With a m ball at top,
that way they could not say I was moored. Just had to move
it now and then. Being the only boat there, the coast guard
got my number for a rescue! After that? I was in, forever.
Sorry to go on. Anybody know the double anchor techniuqe?
h20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 11:40   #30

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
From Tarpon springs north has zero liveaboard marinas anymore none have the pumpout facilities. You can live on the hook but probably have issues with dinghy and car. Furtger south it gets a little more lax on the marina situation. In Marco theres marinas for $350 month you can live at. Other places down in the keys have dinghy docks 75-$100 month allows you to dock your dinghy. Get water in Your jugs! Dump.trash, go to work etc. In the keys the pumpout boat comes to you free once a week. Unless your a whacko who thinks the govt.is dissecting your poo etc. Its a great service and we use it!
Raku does TD or RP have a dinghy dock program? I know theres free parking and great holding nearby.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida