Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2014, 17:29   #1

What's to Love and Hate About Stock Island?

I've spent the last year refitting my 26 ft Grampian to be a happy liveaboard and coastal cruiser. In about two weeks I'll be hauling my anchors in my home port of Miami Beach and resetteling in the Stock Island anchorage. What am I looking at?

I decided on Stock Island instead of Wisteria Island because my little Walker Bay has no motor, and while I'm not weak, I don't think my arms are strong enough to handle the distance and currents to get ashore. No bicycle yet, but the buses look pretty good for getting around Key West for work and play.

I hear the holding its decent, mud and grass, though this is in conflict with what I've heard that the further west you go, the more coral you find. Also, from the same source, I hear the current and wakes aren't too bad. Skipper Bob's ICW anchorages agrees.

Which brings me to my next sub-question; anything to know about going down on the outside? I know thousands have done it, but it's my first time. I came up on the inside from Marathon by motor when I bought my boat.

I plan to stay in the bay until the northern keys, cutting outside through Caesar Creek. Rodriguez Key, Long Key Bight, then Boot key. After that, maybe Bahia Honda or Newfound Harbor, depending on how fast my baby can go.

I'm not on a schedule. I'll get there when I get there. I'm just asking if there's anything I need to see, or need to avoid. And then, back to my original question, how is it on the hook in the Stock Island anchorage?

Oh yeah, and I hear there are tons of mooring bouys on the reef, but I can't find anything on my navionics chart. I found a website that lists them, but I wonder if there's an easier way for plotting waypoints?

I love this forum, endless hours of information and entertainment. Just want to say thank you for that, and for any advice you're willing to give.
Mark on TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:10   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla
Re: What's to Love and Hate About Stock Island?

Love - HogFish Bar & Grill
gosstyla is offline   Reply With Quote