Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2016, 23:56   #1

What's the best boat you've ever owned?

The opposite of this question has been lately asked and I've read with interest. in about 14 months I plan to be moving aboard to live/sail around. PLan on leaving from S. Fla. Just was hoping for some input on boats people have had good experiences with. thinking 32-40' any and all info appreciated!

THanks!
Zephyrcat229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 00:46   #2

Boat: Ohlson 29
Re: What's the best boat you've ever owned?

Haha, I was waiting for this topic / question

<---- for me, eventho I've learned this forum mostly deems her unfit for offshore sailing

She's already been to the Azores (me too, but not with LB) and I have faith in my little tub
Old 26-03-2016, 01:52   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

The only one we have ever owned and still sailing and living on - a 2001 Jeanneau DS40.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 03:07   #4

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Haha, I was waiting for this topic / question

<---- for me, eventho I've learned this forum mostly deems her unfit for offshore sailing

She's already been to the Azores (me too, but not with LB) and I have faith in my little tub
Surprises me Lizzy. I just googled her (or him if that's what your preference is) and looks to me like quite a sturdy little goer. Looks similar to a Sparkmans and Stevens. And we all know how hardy they are
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 03:08   #5

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Well, I've only ever 'owned' one sail boat

I'm preparing for retirement too.. if I had my time over again to choose another, I'd probably go for a centre cockpit or even a wheel house design.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 03:36   #6

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
looks to me like quite a sturdy little goer.
Thx

And she is! But you know the drill: keel bolted on: it's gonna fall off. Boat will turtle, you will drown. Fin keel? WTH are you thinking? You need a (semi) full keel! Etc.

Most important part: she is well built, and I trust her.
If I were a rich girl, I'd have a few more feet, but that doesn't mean I'm not happy with this lil boat
Old 26-03-2016, 09:20   #7

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

I haven't sailed the one I have now, enough to put her in the running, and Iv'e only had one other sailboat! So I guess it would be my former 37' Irwin Ketch. As the points of sail go it was best close hauled, it was slow downwind and never learned how to point. I think probably my present Pearson 35 will become my best sail boat after our forth coming trip around the Caribbean.
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 09:31   #8

If your looking for an older boat in your size range that is a great all rounder it's hard to beat the Ray Wall designed C S36T. We owned one for several years, sailed it all around the PNW and down to Mexico, to Hawaii and back home. They are very well made with stick built quality construction and are excellent sailors. Although called a 36 they are close to a 37. Sure enjoyed that boat.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 09:31   #9

Boat: Boatless

Hunter 40.5 Legend. Before shaking head read blog on same. Unique boat in their lineup. Affordable, great performance and VERY liveable. ("The Table" | sailingohana)

Before that Custom 50' cat that I would buy back. A long time ago Catalina 30 when a solo live aboard.

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 09:34   #10

The problem with the question is that each of us have different needs related to sailing and cruising. And we change as time marches on. I'm now eighty-three and yes, still sailing and enjoying my present boat. However, I have had ten new boats during my lifetime. Some of those boats I bought and some I ordered from the factory.

I've had a Cal 10, a Pearson 27, a Ranger 29, a Ranger 32. Then a Scepter 36, a Hunter 40, a Hunter 32, then a Hunter 35.5 (won boat of the year in racing locally), next a Hunter 380 and finally a Hunter 27. I've learned a lot about sailboat along the way acquiring my 100 ton captain's license. I taught sailing (on a variety of sailboats) and captained chartered boats.

My worse boat was the Pearson 27 followed by the Ranger 32 (ironically it is one of my wife's favorite). But take my answer with a grain of sail (seawater?) as I have sailed my entire time in Puget Sound, the San Juan Islands, the Gulf Islands and Desolation Sound. I never got to Alaska but that was in my plans. I love the pacific northwest so my boats reflect my cruising grounds. I've done no ocean sailing but have raced in 55 knots of wind (and waves).

If I were in your shoes in Florida and planning on retirement, I would have a Hunter 380. Probably my best overall boat. It has a great place for the AC, two propane tanks, good refrigeration, a great aft cabin with good storage. It has roller furling reefing, an arch, a wonderful cockpit, and a bunch of other good stuff and to top it off it is an excellent sailing boat. Overall, it is my favorite boat. I would still have it except as I grew older (this does happen to us all), I found jumping down to dock to the boat was getting harder and harder. It was harder to paint the bottom. But still, it was a wonderful boat.

Today I have a Hunter 27 that fits my needs. A good dodger (necessary in the northwest), a hot air furnace, a Raritan PHII head (old men need good heads), sugar scoop stern (to get on and off), 3 blade Max prop (to back in gracefully), a two burner stove (one electric and one butane) to make coffee or tea and a small but useful cooker.

I love this boat but the Hunter 380 was my favorite. Best of luck on your new to you boat.
Moreorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 10:02   #11

Boat: Bavaria Vision 46

Loved my Jeanneau 33i but put it up for sale for a new Bavaria Vision 46. Going large; hopefully not too large. Good luck choosing a new boat!
SofiaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 10:49   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What's the best boat you've ever owned?

Best boat to me I've ever owned.. a Westerly Longbow.. seen her up for sale and hoping my longer 39ft steel boat sells soon so I can move back down to 31ft.. Inshallah

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 11:19   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Maybe my best boat was my first boat. It was a 12" flat bottomed, pinewood cruiser that I pulled around my parent's yard with a string tied to the bow in Fort Lauderdale when I was six and seven years old.

Once she was lifted by the jaws of my neighbor's dog, but managed to pull through with only minor cosmetic damage. I've never had any greater adventures than my times navigating the "Dodge Rock" in my back yard!

....and extremely low maintenance!
Old 26-03-2016, 11:56   #14

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

I love my Tayana 42. Best feature... I own it, no debt.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 12:01   #15

Best Mono: Tanton 44 cutter. Long waterline, 8.5 knots motoring at .65 gal/hr fuel. Long fin and skeg rudder canoe.
Only Cat: TPI Lagoon 42

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote