Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2016, 08:52   #16

Re: What to use as a hailing port

You can use anything for Hailing port. I used a place that is on the map but doesn't exist anymore for my hailing port on my last boat. It was a settlement in the 1800's, that disappeared.
I second the St Brenden's Isle for mail and etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 08:56   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Saw a boat the other day that had on its stern as the hailing port

EARTH tx
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 09:00   #18

In an earlier discussion about this and documentation in general, a story was posted about a skipper who had a hailing port in California, although the boat was either never there or had been removed from the State some time before. Because of the California hailing port, the applicable county in the State hounded him for many years for taxes. If you're nowhere near California, don't use anything related to it.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 09:04   #19

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsail18 View Post
We have two years left of our 5 year plan. We are selling everything (house, cars, toys)pretty much everything that won't fit on the boat, and moving on the boat and taking off. We will be sailing to Chesapeake for the summer and Bahamas for the winter. We don't have any family here and no real desire to return. What do I use as a hailing port? and what address do I use for a drivers license, Insurance, passport etc..?
I appreciate any input.
tnx
As others have recommended, St. Brendan's Isle [SBI] mail handling service [NOT only a mail forwarding service...] is one of, if not the best.

We rarely have to have them forward any mail because they will scan whatever you ask them to. Therefore we deal with almost everything online.

Ex-cruisers founded this service and fully understand what we are up against, and provide excellent guidance when it comes to completing postal and other government forms. They will even handle your [currently annual] USCG documentation renewals for you.

Do yourselves a favor and check out their Cruiser's Home Port service package. [Our insurance broker, Al Golden of IMIS- another ex-cruising sailor- recently mentioned about 90% of the cruising boats they insure all 'live' at the same address: SBI...]

They also offer a discount marine supply service which is included with the above service. Invaluable - especially when traveling out of the country.

Other mail services pale in comparison, and cost about the same...

In case this is helpful.

Cheers!

Bill
Old 25-02-2016, 09:24   #20

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsail18 View Post
We have two years left of our 5 year plan. We are selling everything (house, cars, toys)pretty much everything that won't fit on the boat, and moving on the boat and taking off. We will be sailing to Chesapeake for the summer and Bahamas for the winter. We don't have any family here and no real desire to return. What do I use as a hailing port? and what address do I use for a drivers license, Insurance, passport etc..?
I appreciate any input.
tnx
You don't have a friend?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 09:52   #21

I second or third vote for SBI at Green Cove Springs. I just recently signed up with them and got my Florida residency, they are very friendly to work with and helped me jump through all the loop holes. Very understanding, even today when I called them to tell them I have a small truck load of packages heading there way as I am outfitting our new boat. They know the routine better than anyone! Oh thanks to this forum for turning me on to them.
vonBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 10:04   #22

Third time's a charm (or let's hope so). My wife and I, like yourselves planned on returning to the live aboard lifestyle. Only thing is, we have a 6 year jump on you. We are full time RVers. We sold the home in 2010 after I battled cancer and retired early. At least the cancer then was an awakening. Dreams are often set aside because life gets in the way. That being said, we opted to full time and make life an adventure. This year we are in process of purchasing another boat to live aboard (again) and travel the Great Loop. We, too, will not have another residence other than where we are. Fortunately, it is much like what we have experienced with RVing. We have used mydakotaaddress.com for the past 6 years and have received our mail where ever we chose to be w/o any problems. I even use the address and mail forwarding process to do my taxes and registration of vehicles. I intend to register my vessel there also. They provide a forwarding service and will send your mail on the basis that you want set up. They will even hold your mail when you go "incommunicado" To forward, hold or even stop your mail, all that is required is an email or a phone call saying where and when. Once you set it up, pay a small fee based on desired service, you are good to go for a year at a time. Most importantly, it is all legal. Oh, if you want a driver's license, all you need is your passport and the residential requirement of the state you are in. This year we did camp hosting in Arizona so I got an Arizona license (good til 2019) and we wintered in Texas so my wife has a Texas license (good till 2020). We pick up our boat this November in Ohio and begin our Great Loop experience the following year in April. We will be in at least 20 states over the next year so the mydakotaaddress.com makes since to us.
Just another quick consideration. Since I retired from teaching in California, I am required to have a residence there for continuing medical coverage. I use my daughter's address and as we are there at least every three to four months to visit, that too is legal. My thoughts to you have been conveyed for your consideration but I strongly suggest you make sure they fall within all the legal parameters of what you are going to do. I travel extensively and find that a passport, a valid driver's license and my medical card are all I need. Hope this helps and good luck with your dreams!
bruce v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 10:31   #23

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I would strongly advise you to maintain a US address. Either a reliable relative or friend or a commercial mail drop. No mail address is not just an inconvenience, it can be a real problem. Just arrange to have first class mail retained and shipped to you every couple of months.
Most of it will be junk mail but sometimes it can be important like an IRS notice.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 10:43   #24

Boat: Newport30 MKIII

Hailing = Mailing
surfprimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 10:44   #25

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

I am such a cheapskate that I chose a town on the Isle of 'Man with the least number of letters in the name. Why pay more to have almost senseless name painted on your transom. Plus each place you travel you have to fill out paperwork. Trying printing out by hand Buzzard's Breath a couple thousand times and you will wish you had made a wiser choice.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 11:00   #26

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsurvey View Post
I have always loved Buzzards Breathe Wyoming
Or Toad Suck , Arkansas.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 11:19   #27

Boat: Rafiki 37

I used to own several mail box rental stores and I recently had a PO Box. Here is what I think I know about your situation.

The private PO Box places tend to be pricey but, if you get a good one, they can be very helpful. They are usually independent mom and pop stores or franchises run my mom and pop so the quality of service can vary a lot. Shop around for a place with a price you like and folks who seem to care about doing a good job for you. Most have monthly, 6 month and annual rates. They can do useful stuff such as tell you on the phone what is in your box and forward only what you want to get. They might photograph the front of the letter and send that to you. They can call you when something you are eager to get arrives in your box. etc. etc. Ask a lot of questions. They may require that you get a bigger box if you get too much mail for the size box you have rented. They usually require a positive ID but don't care where you live. Some folks use them for their driver's license address. (I used to do so.) I think that is technically illegal but i have never heard of anyone getting in trouble for it.

I recently rented a USPO box for a year or so and did not like it. The folks were friendly and tried to do their best but they are bound by a bunch of rules that limit how much individualized service they can provide. Also, there were occasional serious screw ups in the handling of my mail that caused me some serious inconvenience.

I have now found the perfect solution for me. The mail goes to the home of a good friend who does whatever I need done for free, including opening a piece of mail if I ask. I don't think the PO or private services can do that.

Good luck
coolboat30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 12:50   #28

Boat: 1974 Pearson 39 Yawl

While living aboard, I used the St. Brendan's Isle service and was very pleased. There are rules as to what can/cannot be used as an address. US Post Office Boxes are not part of the scheme. The SBI group will give you an acceptable address. My wife and I now have a business that needs it's own address and we are using the UPS store nearby. Same results with slightly more junk mail.
Capt_Flrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 14:01   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirago View Post
Buzzards Breathe Wyoming, no such place...Google Earth nor Google Maps could find it..cool name anyway..
Fictitious location made famous by an american footballer who claimed to come from there in an interview back in the '70s.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/fo...rticle-from-84
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 14:29   #30
RKO

Boat: Columbia 8.7

I will use Hell For Certain, KY.
RKO is offline   Reply With Quote