Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: What state is best for liveaboard sailors?
Florida 23 31.51%
Texas 12 16.44%
California 5 6.85%
North Carolina 3 4.11%
New York 0 0%
Louisiana 3 4.11%
Washington 6 8.22%
Maryland 3 4.11%
Massachusetts 1 1.37%
Other 17 23.29%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2013, 09:43   #1

What State is Best for Liveaboard Sailors?

In terms of marinas that allow liveaboards, cheap monthly rent fees, availability of slips, no or short waiting lists, etc.
watersofdiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 09:50   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: What state is best for liveaboard sailors?

Based on your stated criteria, NOT southern CA. Maybe Delta regions of SF Bay. Northern CA some good deals but gets cold and rainy in the winter. Not familiar with the NW costs.

That leaves TX, gulf coast of LA, AL, MS, FL east coast, west coast and panhandle but not Miami, Ft Lauderdale, W Palm, Chesapeake Bay (but also a bit cold in the winter)
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 10:04   #3
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Re: What state is best for liveaboard sailors?

Pennsylvania. Pittsburgh is one of the cheapest places to live aboard in the country.
not old that but costs of living there are very low.
if i did not have a 6.5 draft, i would be there.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 10:13   #4

Re: What State is Best for Liveaboard Sailors?

Florida seemed pretty easy to me. Easier than Washington anyway. Not real bad up here but not easy. Maybe Fl seemed easy because I wasnt "living aboard" I was "cruising".

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 10:14   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Those voting on the poll would likely be influenced by what they are familiar with,.... I know I am. I've lived aboard in five of the states on the list. North Florida fits these criteria best for me, but I would have to add the opportunity for sailing year round. 'not much sailing in Pittsburg...right?
Old 15-07-2013, 10:24   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Montana.

Other than that, you have no preferences about climate? Or jobs? Or what kind of sailing is to had? You're just looking for a state?

The living aboard means a houseboat would do, the sailing means a whole different set of criteria.

But Montana is a good place to start.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 00:02   #7

Boat: Albin Vega 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Montana.

Other than that, you have no preferences about climate? Or jobs? Or what kind of sailing is to had? You're just looking for a state?

The living aboard means a houseboat would do, the sailing means a whole different set of criteria.

But Montana is a good place to start.

As somebody who currently lives in Montana... I'd like to know why you'd think that? Yeah, its beautiful, but our two largest bodies of water are Flathead Lake and Lake Helena. You can't really sail the Missouri... too many dams. And the winter is a little harsh too...
Just saying, I sure wouldn't want to livaboard here...which is why I'm moving to the east coast.

On the other hand, I doubt anybody would say anything if you were living on one of those two lakes...

By the way, I lived for 3 years in a 18' pull behind trailer on the Madison River, year round. Survived the winter just fine, so not saying its not doable, just saying that I don't think living on a boat on a lake in -10 degree weather with the wind blowing at 30 miles and hour would be much fun.
Old 19-07-2013, 01:34   #8

Boat: Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLandlocked View Post

As somebody who currently lives in Montana... I'd like to know why you'd think that? Yeah, its beautiful, but our two largest bodies of water are Flathead Lake and Lake Helena. You can't really sail the Missouri... too many dams. And the winter is a little harsh too...
Just saying, I sure wouldn't want to livaboard here...which is why I'm moving to the east coast.

On the other hand, I doubt anybody would say anything if you were living on one of those two lakes...

By the way, I lived for 3 years in a 18' pull behind trailer on the Madison River, year round. Survived the winter just fine, so not saying its not doable, just saying that I don't think living on a boat on a lake in -10 degree weather with the wind blowing at 30 miles and hour would be much fun.
I think he may be joking. I lived at a KOA on the Gallatin but it was next to the hot springs there which made it more bearable. Decided FL would be better for outdoor living! Have family in CA but I think CA is more expensive than FL.
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 12:34   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

shakti-
Joking? Who, me? [He said with a straight face.]

No, really, if the goal is living aboard a sailboat, as opposed to sailing, Montana would be great place to start. No hurricane season, predictable weather, nice calm water, no sharks, no barnacles, low crime rate, good taxes, stable population, and very few rich people *ching and moaning about how those liveaboards are ruining the waterfront view.

Honest, a GREAT place to live aboard a boat.
[He said with a straight face.]
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 15:02   #10

Boat: Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
shakti-
Joking? Who, me? [He said with a straight face.]

No, really, if the goal is living aboard a sailboat, as opposed to sailing, Montana would be great place to start. No hurricane season, predictable weather, nice calm water, no sharks, no barnacles, low crime rate, good taxes, stable population, and very few rich people *ching and moaning about how those liveaboards are ruining the waterfront view.

Honest, a GREAT place to live aboard a boat.
[He said with a straight face.]
Montana brother,

Take sailors words with a grain of salt. And tequilla if you prefer.

Montana sister
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 15:53   #11

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Definitely not Hawaii. The geography and weather and water are perfect. The State and County governments are horrible.
Old 19-07-2013, 19:19   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

While socal is a bit pricey and has somewhat longish waiting lists (10 years in places, Ouch.). Northern cali is not that bad. Pretty easy to find a liveaboard slip without a wait list, though it might be $300 +200 liveaboard fee for a 35' slip and may not be the perfect location (That is Marina Bay Richmond.). There are cheaper places too, but you have to hunt a bit and get away from the central bay. Plus its the only sailing area with low humidity. Oceans to mountains to wine country all within an hours drive or a 6 hour sail. Lots O wind for sailing too. Plus 90+ degrees in summer in the delta. Can be a little cool in the central bay in summer, though september / october are pretty nice.

Ok ok, I would probably pick Florida too. But it is doable in Northen Cali.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 05:02   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
While socal is a bit pricey and has somewhat longish waiting lists (10 years in places, Ouch.). Northern cali is not that bad. Pretty easy to find a liveaboard slip without a wait list, though it might be $300 +200 liveaboard fee for a 35' slip and may not be the perfect location (That is Marina Bay Richmond.). There are cheaper places too, but you have to hunt a bit and get away from the central bay. Plus its the only sailing area with low humidity. Oceans to mountains to wine country all within an hours drive or a 6 hour sail. Lots O wind for sailing too. Plus 90+ degrees in summer in the delta. Can be a little cool in the central bay in summer, though september / october are pretty nice.

Ok ok, I would probably pick Florida too. But it is doable in Northen Cali.
Good to hear this from someone in the area. I do love the Bay area, love the weather, culture, food and the meeting of mountain and the sea (Florida, forget mountains. We don't even have a decent hill). Do want to spend more time there one of these days. Maybe I don't have to wait until I win the lottery.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 06:02   #14

Laid Back is the best state
Capt RonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 06:14   #15
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

State of Bliss, but I'm having a hard time finding it.

Boat US magazine had an article about boater friendly places last month.

Tags
liveaboard