Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2013, 17:23   #1

Boat: Endeavour 43
What Make of Guitar to Take on Cruise

I have an old Martin D-28 and I feel it is a little to fragile and valuable to take cruising. I am considering something like an Ovation. Like to know what others have on their boats.
brankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 17:28   #2

Boat: C&C 38
Re: What make of guitar to take on cruise

I take an older Ovation nylon string in a case. No issues so far.

Ron
Mahaila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 17:31   #3

I had a Taylor Baby, being a San Diegan and all. Never liked the action though. Maybe re-stringing with something lighter would be the way to go.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 17:41   #4

I had an Ovation .. didnt bother with the case due to room. Glad I hd it. I definitely wouldnt take the Martin. (I'll keep it for you!) Sold the Ovation to someone in dire need of it when left Trini....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 17:54   #5

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

I have a Sigma which is a 'Japanese Martin', so not expensive and mine has great action.
While I have no cruising boat in the water, it does take up space, I almost bought one of those little electric/acoustic ones by Yamaha, backpackers I think they are called,
yeah, here is one, not electric though: Nylon strings seem the way to go, the steel will rust.

Martin Classical Nylon Backpacker Guitar New | eBay
Old 30-07-2013, 17:58   #6

Boat: 19T Gaff Cutter
Thumbs up Re: What make of guitar to take on cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I had a Taylor Baby, being a San Diegan and all. Never liked the action though. Maybe re-stringing with something lighter would be the way to go.
Taylor Mini ....great tone , but that's with steel strings .... Hopefully don't have to resort to plastic !!!
Stonefloat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 18:06   #7
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by brankin View Post
I have an old Martin D-28 and I feel it is a little to fragile and valuable to take cruising. I am considering something like an Ovation. Like to know what others have on their boats.

I have a friend who has a carbon fiber acoustical guitar. It really sounds great -- but it's spooky how lightweight it is. I think I would have to get used to that (haven't played guitar in years but my late husband played classical guitar beautifully). The carbon fiber guitar is very strong and impervious to humidity changes.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 18:14   #8

I have a 20-year old Ibanez electric that I play thru headphones. Everyone's happier that way.
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 18:14   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27

If money is no issue, I second the carbon fiber guitar but they are spendy. Rainsongs are the gold standard. RainSong : Graphite Guitars : Models

You might find one used on ebay...

I would stay away from ovations and ovation wanna be's. The reason is that the wood top and the fiber backs expand and contract a different rates with humidity and you are likely to see top separations.

If you're looking for something more budget friendly, I would l look for a guitar made entirely of laminates (almost any guitar under $700.00), that is sealed on the inside. Most guitars have unfinished interiors (tone thing....) but a few have lightly sealed interiors and they are going to be more durable in high humidity areas.

Most production guitars made in the last 20 years have polyester resin finishes that are extremely durable and can stand some moisture abuse. Avoid anything with shellac, varnish, french polish, etc. waaay too delicate. The Sigma suggestion is a good one, also check out Washburns and Seagulls. The Seagulls are especially durable and have the added bonus of a cool name

Community Rules | Advertise on Cruisers Forum
Contribute to Cruisers Wiki | Document your Adventures at Sail Blogs
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 18:17   #10
Marine Service Provider

Players...

Zager Sigma by Martin, Elixer Polyweb XL strings, 6 years onboard and no corrosion on the machines. Finish is fine.

He seems to have stabilized to the environment...

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 18:41   #11

Boat: Davidson 46, 14m LOA

I have an Ovation Adamas 12 string, an Applause tenor ukulele and an old Yamaha 12 string detuned one whole step ..... yes they all take up room onboard.

The Adamas is lyrachord body and carbon fibre soundboard along with K bar neck (substantial aluminium truss rod structure) and stabilised timber on the fingerboard. The strings are the component that suffer the most from salt air .... though the electronics may not appreciate the environment long term.

The ukulele is affectionately known as "Mini Me" cos it looks like a miniature of the Ovation.

The Yamaha is the "knock around" guitar.
Old 31-07-2013, 07:11   #12

I have my Yamaha with steel strings. Plays great and doesn't seem to be bothered to much by the increased humidity on board. I also have a Casio electric piano on board with a full key board. When not in use I stand it on end and store it in a closet out of the way. I use a net for my Yamaha that I hang in one of my state rooms from the ceiling. Let it swing but not so much that it hits anything and it does fine.
kingwoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 07:25   #13

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

I have a bunch of guitars, Taylor, Gibson, Fender, Epiphone, Dean, and my old pal, a Yamaha FG 180 red label I've had since 1969.
I also had an Ovation that I bought as about guitar but I hated the sound of it and got rid of it.
I just bought a Voyage Air Dreadnought. $500.
The neck folds down flat against the body. It stays in tune. It plays as easy as my Taylor. It cost 1/4 the money. It sounds as good as any good guitar. It looks good. Solid spruce top, laminated mahogany sides & back. When packed up, it doesn't take up anymore space than a backpack.
Check it out!
The best bang for the buck on a boat guitar that I've found!
Voyage Air Guitar
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 07:41   #14

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

I have a Martin Backpacker..Pretty fragile, no tone. Don't know if I would take anything decent on the boat though.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 08:01   #15

I know nothing about these. Saw it on somebody's blog.

Alpaca Carbon Fiber Travel Guitar // Alpaca Guitar
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise