Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-08-2013, 09:03   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom 35, Corroboree
Re: What Make of Guitar to Take on Cruise

My 1958 Martin O-18 steel string and a Yamaha G-140 gut string survived a-year-long voyage on our 27' boat from England to California in cardboard cases. In fact, Florida weather took a greater toll on the Martin than did the cruise--I have since replaced the tuning machines, the frets, and had neck and bridge resets. However, if I were to go again, I would likely buy something less valuable but with a good action and tone. Any decent pawn shop or guitar store will have a selection of suitable guitars.

Come to think of it, have you seen the Martin guitars that are made out of plastic laminate (Formica or the like)? They have been out a few years and they sound great! That would probably be ideal for cruising--plastic, brand name, great sound.

Eric

ewsponberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 07:17   #32

Boat: Nantucket 33

Ive had to thin all my instruments down to 1 easo after I sold my guitars i went and bought a Cort earth mini 100 with electric pickup. Ive been plying it now for about 4 months and Im loving it and find IM playing more than with my old guitars, Of corse theres always the pleasure of a new quitar but even saying that I am real happy with the sound from a small guitar.
I got the pickup so I can run it through the stereo but Ive only done that twice so we will see if I would buy a built in pickup next time.

Sacrificed my Kevork Riq for the liveaboard cause. A once in a lifetime instrument that is rare to even see in real life oh well its all worth it.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:36   #33

Boat: 1989 52' PT Overseas Yachtfisher

I had a Seagull till it took a header in some bumpy seas: it was replaced with a Bedell- great bass tone, sweet midrange, and nice low action.

Yes, it's now secured much better!
Old 08-09-2013, 12:09   #34

Boat: Ericson 35-2
Carbon fiber, or a second hand chinese import for 100$ are both viable. Another option is a solid body electric with a Digiytech RP 150 or something along these lines. The huge advantage there is that you can play when everyone else is sleeping, or plug it into the boat stereo and be as loud as needed.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:11   #35

Boat: Ericson 35-2
And while we are talking guitars, Seagull is the best under 1000$ brand available today, IMHO.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:11   #36

Boat: Celestial 48

A Taylor GS Mini. Just got about 3 months ago and love it. A bit larger than the Taylor Mini, but much nicer tone convinced me to make room for it. Got the mahogany top version.

Also a Traveller EG-2 electric guitar (even has a built-in amp to plug headphones in directly). Got the sunburst version. Great little guitar. Got this one second hand on ebay at good price.

I still have a Martin Backpacker, but not on boat now. Used this on rafting and canoe trips, and is pretty good little guitar, but if you have the room I would opt for something else. The bass tone on the Backpacker is pretty much missing.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:27   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

an old Ovation works well... less wood to swell/damage and cheap $250-300

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 13:33   #38

Boat: Baltic 38DP

I like my Yamaha Silent Guitar. I play it with a small iPod amp on rechargeable batteries on board, or on headphones, and it folds up so takes very little space. Available in nylon and steel strung. They're not very cheap, though.

SLG Series - Yamaha Silent Guitar

Onno
Old 08-09-2013, 21:06   #39

Boat: Roberts Offshore 44-Blue Note

I have a Larrivee Parlor in rosewood, a PRS Standard 24, and a cheepo fretless bass aboard. The Larrivee is an amazingly loud guitar and with the Baggs I-beam piezo, it is versatile in a OM situation. In addition it fits in the overhead baggage area on planes so it has been all over with me. Like someone else said, don't over think it and don't be afraid of steel strings if that's what you are used to. I wipe them down after playing (if I remember to) and change them every four to six weeks. These instruments have been onboard from Alaska to Mexico and for over 12 years with no ill effects.
alaska pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 18:55   #40

Boat: P30

sort of a funny story attached to this. a few years ago on a sweltering hot (murderously hot) day my GF and i went out looking for a guitar for the boat. the young guy showing me different guitars was interesting. every guitar he brought out was more expensive then the last until he finally arrived at a Martin...at which point i just cracked up and explained i was looking for something for my boat. He told me to wait a second and brought out a Rainsong (more expensive still!).

It's a really great guitar and if i were a more serious player this would be my choice. The tone and sustain are +1
as it is i bought a Fender made in Mexico for 150 + a few dollars for a gig bag.
It resides on the bulkhead held in place by two lines. one under the headstock to keep it up. and one around the body to keep it centered. (It's a dreadnaught cutaway).

I'm happy with it and play more on the boat then anywhere else
Old 10-09-2013, 19:31   #41

Boat: Valiant 40

The Alpaca. Ugly as $%*# but specifically designed to be friends with water. Even has the sound hole located so the guitar can be easily drained after being filled with water :P Tuners moved from the head so they don't get banged up.

"The Alpaca is a go-anywhere adventure guitar designed to withstand the elements. Its rugged build is comprised of top quality carbon fiber, flax fabric, and bio-derived resins. This combination produces an incredibly lightweight and strong instrument with a brilliant,
resonant sound.

The Alpaca will handle anything a good adventure brings; dirt, water, bumps and bruises. An embedded daisy chain on the back provides a strong universal attachment to any of your outdoor gear. Each Alpaca Guitar is handmade in Vermont with top quality craftmanship."

Old 10-09-2013, 19:38   #42

Boat: Mirage 32

What about a cruiser friendly banjo? Any experience or thoughts?
Old 10-09-2013, 19:42   #43

Boat: P30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
The Alpaca. Ugly as $%*# but specifically designed to be friends with water. Even has the sound hole located so the guitar can be easily drained after being filled with water:

not sure i agree it's ugly - seems to be done with purpose. heck i like it!
just not sure about the sound it would produce given its shape.
Old 10-09-2013, 20:46   #44

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaarch View Post
not sure i agree it's ugly - seems to be done with purpose. heck i like it!
just not sure about the sound it would produce given its shape.
I'm usually the first one to see the beauty in form over function, but in this case the proportions of the instrument just don't work for me. It looks ungainly, truncated...short where it should be long, fat where it should be thin, etc. Perhaps too many years of looking at exquisitely proportioned guitars. Yes, the craftsmanship and the way materials are used look lovely (easy to do in a photo, as anyone who has looked at boat photos knows, lol), but the overall impression is rather brutish and blunt.

I've never heard one, only heard of them. I would hope in this day and age of computer modeling that it is tuned for decent acoustical properties, but it looks like from its shape that it is designed to be as small as possible with a few ergonomic curves. But hell, if it can take a lickin' so you can keep on pickin', then who cares how it looks.

Tags
cruise

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: