Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2014, 13:52   #16
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
What is worse, sun, wind, rain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
one of the most unpleasant meteorlogical experinces i have had was a sand storm in june in the red sea.

it came down in 5 minutes with roasting hot dry wind, zero visibility and lasted about 6 hours,i was still washing red sand off the rigging 6 months later!

Had a similar experience with sand on the North Africa med coast. Hot, nasty bad with bugs in it too.

Mind you came outside yesterday and my car was covered in Saharan sand ... !!

Dave

Dave
Old 31-03-2014, 15:18   #17

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41
Sun= sunscreen & hat

Rain= Bimini & hat

Wind= tack damnit I lost my hat again... maybe wool cap, jacket and dodger.

Cold= layers and heat pads

Light snow= some of the best sailing ever

Heavy snow= to hell with this I'm anchoring
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 22:34   #18

Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'
Re: What is worse, sun, wind, rain?

Never did experience a sand storm. That would sting tho i could imagine and just the samd getting everywhere like you were rolling and kocked down by the surf. I could only think close to sticking your head outside a Window in a ice storm doing 50 mph / 80 kph.... kinda had to shake my antennas off and mirrors.

wondering around with no destionation
Wonderinlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:58   #19
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Sun and wind equals more power. The wet means more laundry and mildew inside boat.
Cold and wet doubles or triples the laundry.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:27   #20

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

The Hell of Norse mythology is freezing cold, unlike Dante's fiery Hell. Those are reference points. I personally have been most uncomfortable in extreme (to me) heat and humidity (95 deg F. and 95% humidity at night in the Sea of Cortez). I swam at night, then, wet, laid on the headsail on the foredeck, hoping for a zephyr that would cool me. I've been cold at sea, too, but never so badly that I couldn't dry off below, and don dry (warm) clothing, to try abovedecks again.

Ann
Old 05-04-2014, 07:38   #21

Having never left the Atlantic coast of Canada, I have never encountered offending sun or heat-and-humidity. I worked one summer building greenhouses for a Swedish company and worked inside until the thermometer reached 125 F. Loved every minute of it. But at 5' 5" and 135 lbs, I chill easily. Rain..usually makes me cold. I'll take the heat, thanks. Now no one has mentioned bugs. I have ran inside to avoid too many biting bugs.
Goingbuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 23:42   #22

Boat: Columbia C45 45'

I have to agree with cold, having lived aboard in DC and Maryland during winter, with good heat, it is terrible. I will take sun, wind, and rain anytime over cold. I can get out of the sun, batten down for the wind, and stand the rain. But I HATE cold.
boating2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:36   #23

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

The vote seems to be in on this thread.
"global warming" (if it exists) is a GOOD thing because it will lessen COLD.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 14:29   #24

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

I never considered living on a boat where it gets cold. I always figured a boat is as a way to get to lower latitudes...not higher latitudes.

It is hard enough living in an insulated RV in the cold. On a boat it has to be even more difficult.

I have been too hot, too wet, too cold in the summer at 40° N. Latitude in the same day.

Bugs - I have never been bothered by bugs because I stayed out on the water. But in Florida if you are in a slip close to land the 'no seeums' will eat you alive.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 14:24   #25
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44
Re: What is Worse, Sun, Wind, Rain?

The Sun for my Brightwork, The Wind for Docking and The Rain after I get done washing down the boat.
satdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 21:59   #26

Boat: O'day 27

Snow is the worst in my opinion, YUCK! i hate that stuff LOL
youngson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 21:23   #27

I have sailed several times during gentle snow squalls and it was very quiet and wonderful. I can definitely get cold, but I hate the heat.
rickrohwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2014, 01:18   #28

Boat: Ferrocement, Cutter 40'

The rain, love everything else.
hubertstephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2014, 03:53   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

There are two sayings applicable here: "Nature does not know bad weather" (Russian). And "there's no such thing as bad weather; just inappropriate clothing."

I try to be philosophical about it and find that attitude makes a huge difference.

Cold keeps you from enjoying being on deck, but doesn't prevent you from sailing. With good clothes and good heat in the cabin it's ok, and I actually love sailing in winter (winter in the English Channel is usually a few degrees C above freezing).

It's nice, however, when it warms up so your living space expands onto the deck.

I really don't like hot, muggy weather for sailing -- I like it less than cold weather. I don't have AC in my present boat, but even having AC is not really a sure solution since you would have to run your genset at night (ick) to use it. Light clothing and acclimatization are the only real solutions IMHO, and even that doesn't solve the awful sweaty bedclothes you get at night.

I don't mind rain so much, especially if its warm rain. I recently had a phenomenally rainy week at sea and just kept my full cockpit enclosure up. I never thought I could sail with it up, but it turns out I can. Just wish I could see better. I envy those Hallberg-Rassys with glass windshields and wipers -- that would be the very thing.

So I rarely let weather keep me from going out, unless it's blowing a F8 or more. A bad day at sea -- I figure -- is better than any kind of day on land.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2014, 04:37   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
There are two sayings applicable here: "Nature does not know bad weather" (Russian). And "there's no such thing as bad weather; just inappropriate clothing."

I try to be philosophical about it and find that attitude makes a huge difference.
Quite right. Personally, I like it all! On hot days I will slip over the side for a couple of swims during the day followed by a nice fresh water rinse. Use my Carafamo 747 fans as needed for naps and at night. On cold rainy days I really enjoy hunkering down below with a nice hot cup of tea and a bowl of soup and a good book or time on the Internet. If it's windy so much the better I enjoy watching the amps flow in to my 10 kw electric propulsion battery bank via the wind turbine. When the sun is shining my solar panels are making the energy. It's all good IMO.

Tags
wind