Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2015, 12:34   #1

Boat: Catalina 30
What is the deal with Titusville Florida and Liveaboards?

I recently was shopping for a new marina. I noted at every marina on the Space Coast I was considering they made a point to ask if I was a LiveAboard and oh, we have no room for any more of them.

Lucky for me we do not liveaboard our boat. Due to many factors we decided to move the boat to the Titusville City Marina, a nice place.

Two weeks after moving into our slip we received a contract in the mail. Strange since we already had a signed contract. On visiting the marina last Saturday we found out that basically all Liveaboard in the marina were going to have to leave, they would not be allowed to renew and if they did not sign the new contract they were to be charged the transient rate.

During my visit on Saturday they had a meeting I stopped in on a for a few minutes. The City Lawyer and Dockmaster were fielding questions but my impression was that State of Florida rules made the move happen.

Here is a link to the new fee schedule.

The City of Titusville, Florida - Dockage & Mooring Field Rates

No liveaboards.

Is this a harbinger of things to come here in Florida? Anyone have an insight into this?
Old 24-06-2015, 12:46   #2

Re: What is the deal with Titusville Florida and Liveaboards?

Titusville is a dump anyway. Probably doing everyone a favor by forcing them to go somewhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
OnTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 13:59   #3

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

"...all Liveaboard in the marina were going to have to leave...Here is a link to the new fee schedule..."

Those two don't appear to compute? The fee schedule notes a $50/person per month surcharge on the dock or a $60/boat per month on a mooring for livaboards, so why offer those rate-options if they aren't allowing you to liveaboard there?
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 14:43   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTour View Post
Titusville is a dump anyway. Probably doing everyone a favor by forcing them to go somewhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Yes, this town has been dying for a long time. We first passed through in 1990 and have seen the way it's gone down and down. We don't stop there anymore since they filled the anchorage with poorly maintained mooring buoys. The one good thing there used to be the propane place but that closed a couple of years ago.
Old 24-06-2015, 18:14   #5

Boat: csy 37

Westland marina, right next to the city marina, is a great working do it yourself yard, and has liveaboard space. Did all of my major work in that yard for over ten years. There is also an impromptu anchorage just outside the mooring field.
Titusville may be a dump but they do have food stores and hardware stores in walking distance or by city bus.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 08:17   #6

Boat: Pearson 303 30'3"

The rule is that you cannot live aboard more than 6 months out of 12. This is driven by language in the submerged land lease that the City signed with Florida Dept. of Environmental Protection who manages 99% of the shore line of the state.

Apparently DEP has this language in a lot of existing leases and in most new ones.

The City is just now deciding to enforce the restriction after several years -- no reasonable explanation given as to why. Many marinas in Florida apparently ignore this and look the other way. We're not sure why Titusville has decided that the city is in such great shape that they can drive customers away.

For some bizarre reason the state has decided (or some small minds in DEP and DNR have) to be hostile to boaters. This has been going on for some time.

There are some legitimate reasons, like the number of boats just dumped here to sink and the large number of people in the state that seek a free boat to live on (look on Craigslist to see what Im talking about). But those issues could be handled without punishing the legitimate cruisers and live aboard in the state.
Enchantress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 09:39   #7

Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
"...all Liveaboard in the marina were going to have to leave...Here is a link to the new fee schedule..."

Those two don't appear to compute? The fee schedule notes a $50/person per month surcharge on the dock or a $60/boat per month on a mooring for livaboards, so why offer those rate-options if they aren't allowing you to liveaboard there?
Apparently this is new and they probably haven't changed it on the website yet. I was just there a little over a month ago and the deal then was you could stay on your boat for eight days out of the month without paying a live aboard fee. Any longer than eight days there was a live aboard fee.
The state of Florida is getting generally very boat unfriendly especially cruiser unfriendly, with proposed legislation that would nearly ban all anchoring in the state.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 25-06-2015, 09:46   #8

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

The Garbone

Please clarify is the non Liveaboard thing ONLY regarding the moorings and does NOT apply to the docks themselves. Having similar stuff here in Melbourne. The fee schedule/charge re liveaboards is ONLY under mooring for liveaboard charges. Considering the things supplied, restroom, garbage pumpout at docks they don't actually say that you cannot liveaboad. Please clarify .
Russ
Old 25-06-2015, 09:49   #9

Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
The Garbone

Please clarify is the non Liveaboard thing ONLY regarding the moorings and does NOT apply to the docks themselves. Having similar stuff here in Melbourne. The fee schedule/charge re liveaboards is ONLY under mooring for liveaboard charges. Considering the things supplied, restroom, garbage pumpout at docks they don't actually say that you cannot liveaboad. Please clarify .
Russ
When I was there, as I understood it the live aboard fee applied to both mornings and dockage.

Al
Old 25-06-2015, 10:19   #10

We have a slip there and can confirm it applies to both moorings and slips.

The rule is that if you stay on board for 5 consecutive days or 10 days total in a month, then that month is considered a "live aboard" month. You can have no more than 6 live aboard months in a 12 month period.

This verbiage is straight from the DEP contract. Actual Florida statute has a less restrictive definition for live aboards, but this is the verbiage that DEP wants to enforce.
Old 25-06-2015, 11:03   #11

Boat: Freedom 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchantress View Post
We have a slip there and can confirm it applies to both moorings and slips.

The rule is that if you stay on board for 5 consecutive days or 10 days total in a month, then that month is considered a "live aboard" month. You can have no more than 6 live aboard months in a 12 month period.

This verbiage is straight from the DEP contract. Actual Florida statute has a less restrictive definition for live aboards, but this is the verbiage that DEP wants to enforce.
Do you think the snow bird factor has anything to do with it? I know I couldn't live in Fl in the summer! I would think 6 months would be an ok rule. I don't like Fl period,
Old 25-06-2015, 11:05   #12

Not sure what the city is thinking -- I know we weren't full this past winter, so I doubt they needed the spots for snow birds.

As for DEP, I think they would prefer if all boaters stopped boating in Florida.
Old 25-06-2015, 17:10   #13

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchantress View Post
The rule is that you cannot live aboard more than 6 months out of 12. This is driven by language in the submerged land lease that the City signed with Florida Dept. of Environmental Protection who manages 99% of the shore line of the state.

Apparently DEP has this language in a lot of existing leases and in most new ones.

The City is just now deciding to enforce the restriction after several years -- no reasonable explanation given as to why. Many marinas in Florida apparently ignore this and look the other way. We're not sure why Titusville has decided that the city is in such great shape that they can drive customers away.

For some bizarre reason the state has decided (or some small minds in DEP and DNR have) to be hostile to boaters. This has been going on for some time.

There are some legitimate reasons, like the number of boats just dumped here to sink and the large number of people in the state that seek a free boat to live on (look on Craigslist to see what Im talking about). But those issues could be handled without punishing the legitimate cruisers and live aboard in the state.
they don't want to earn the excessive amount of tax dollars that pay their salaries. it's easier to screw everyone this way than to enforce the laws that already exist, to cleanup the anchorages. why spend money on manpower when you can just give yourself a raise?

power corrupts
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 18:56   #14

Boat: 1979 islander 32 tall rig

I am a retired senior and "full time cruiser". Not a liveaboard.

I was planning to leave Alabama this Nov. to cruise east and spend most of the winter in Florida and maybe Bahamas if i get past the keys.

Now i am becoming afraid to. There are at least 4 groups of water officers that can have it in for me. City, County, state and coast guard. 5 counting DNR.

All i need is one wild one on a tear to ruin my life.

So. Iam wondering if it is possible to start a thread listing the "safe and welcoming places" and a seperate one listing hostile places to boaters. Including the names of the officers involved.

If we know where NOT to go, we can maybe enjoy our retirement. I was even considering registering my sailboat in Florida but now????

Waddyathink?
catshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 22:42   #15

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by catshopper View Post
I am a retired senior and "full time cruiser". Not a liveaboard.

I was planning to leave Alabama this Nov. to cruise east and spend most of the winter in Florida and maybe Bahamas if i get past the keys.

Now i am becoming afraid to. There are at least 4 groups of water officers that can have it in for me. City, County, state and coast guard. 5 counting DNR.

All i need is one wild one on a tear to ruin my life.

So. Iam wondering if it is possible to start a thread listing the "safe and welcoming places" and a seperate one listing hostile places to boaters. Including the names of the officers involved.

If we know where NOT to go, we can maybe enjoy our retirement. I was even considering registering my sailboat in Florida but now????

Waddyathink?
Altho I've only been back on the water for a few years, after a couple years on the hill for my wife's last years. I had cruised then and cruise now. I live full time on my boat, but not full time in "a" port. I have seen many boaters that go to a port...for instance Marathon Fl.....and sit on a mooring ball or dock for 5 or 6 months and yah they get harassed by the state revenuers. I cruise, meaning going from one place to another, visiting and meeting people along the way. I don't get harassed. When I go to other countries I pay the visas and go exploring. I see people come in and sit at one dock or anchorage in one harbor and end up paying more. I don't know truly what it is, that causes that. I make friends where ever I go and try to contribute to the people there. There are some foreign ports I don't want to go to, as they are no different, than say, Miami or Galveston or many other westernized cities. Might as well stay on the hill here and give up the boat. I go to different places to see and learn the different cultures of those places. I won't see that where the cruise ships docks. It'll be different,than another city, but Galveston is different, than Marathon. Tourist traps are the same allover the world. The true wonder and color of a place is outside the city limits, where the real people live, those who haven't been turned into the corporate drone. Yah, ya hear of the ones that got robbed and killed, out there. But America still has one of the highest murder rates in the world.
Life in a tin can is boring! I'd rather live one year FREE than ten in the self imposed tin can.
Did you work all those years in the ruts for that retirement package, just to sit in a rut. Or to be able to explore freedom. If you do nothing for fear of failure. Than failure is all you'll get.

PEACE LUV & HAPPINESS
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, liveaboard