Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2015, 13:34   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Wilbur By The Sea, FL
Boat: Catalina 30
Posts: 660
What is the deal with Titusville Florida and Liveaboards?

I recently was shopping for a new marina. I noted at every marina on the Space Coast I was considering they made a point to ask if I was a LiveAboard and oh, we have no room for any more of them.

Lucky for me we do not liveaboard our boat. Due to many factors we decided to move the boat to the Titusville City Marina, a nice place.

Two weeks after moving into our slip we received a contract in the mail. Strange since we already had a signed contract. On visiting the marina last Saturday we found out that basically all Liveaboard in the marina were going to have to leave, they would not be allowed to renew and if they did not sign the new contract they were to be charged the transient rate.

During my visit on Saturday they had a meeting I stopped in on a for a few minutes. The City Lawyer and Dockmaster were fielding questions but my impression was that State of Florida rules made the move happen.

Here is a link to the new fee schedule.

The City of Titusville, Florida - Dockage & Mooring Field Rates

No liveaboards.

Is this a harbinger of things to come here in Florida? Anyone have an insight into this?
__________________

__________________
Gary
http://svknotaclew.wordpress.com/
The Garbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 13:46   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 129
Re: What is the deal with Titusville Florida and Liveaboards?

Titusville is a dump anyway. Probably doing everyone a favor by forcing them to go somewhere else.


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________

__________________
OnTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 14:59   #3
Registered User
 
bobnlesley's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Yorkshire/Back down in da islans Mon
Boat: Trident Challenger- 35 feet
Posts: 369
Re: What is the deal with Titusville Florida and Liveaboards?

"...all Liveaboard in the marina were going to have to leave...Here is a link to the new fee schedule..."

Those two don't appear to compute? The fee schedule notes a $50/person per month surcharge on the dock or a $60/boat per month on a mooring for livaboards, so why offer those rate-options if they aren't allowing you to liveaboard there?
__________________
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 15:43   #4
Senior Cruiser
 
Vasco's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Toronto
Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"
Posts: 7,140
Re: What is the deal with Titusville Florida and Liveaboards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTour View Post
Titusville is a dump anyway. Probably doing everyone a favor by forcing them to go somewhere else.


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Yes, this town has been dying for a long time. We first passed through in 1990 and have seen the way it's gone down and down. We don't stop there anymore since they filled the anchorage with poorly maintained mooring buoys. The one good thing there used to be the propane place but that closed a couple of years ago.
__________________
Rick I
Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beneteau393/
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 19:14   #5
Registered User

Join Date: May 2008
Location: daytona beach florida
Boat: csy 37
Posts: 2,844
Images: 1
Re: What is the deal with Titusville Florida and Liveaboards?

Westland marina, right next to the city marina, is a great working do it yourself yard, and has liveaboard space. Did all of my major work in that yard for over ten years. There is also an impromptu anchorage just outside the mooring field.
Titusville may be a dump but they do have food stores and hardware stores in walking distance or by city bus.
__________________
Take two at low eight
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 09:17   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Florida
Boat: Pearson 303 30'3"
Posts: 37
Re: What is the deal with Titusville Florida and Liveaboards?

The rule is that you cannot live aboard more than 6 months out of 12. This is driven by language in the submerged land lease that the City signed with Florida Dept. of Environmental Protection who manages 99% of the shore line of the state.

Apparently DEP has this language in a lot of existing leases and in most new ones.

The City is just now deciding to enforce the restriction after several years -- no reasonable explanation given as to why. Many marinas in Florida apparently ignore this and look the other way. We're not sure why Titusville has decided that the city is in such great shape that they can drive customers away.

For some bizarre reason the state has decided (or some small minds in DEP and DNR have) to be hostile to boaters. This has been going on for some time.

There are some legitimate reasons, like the number of boats just dumped here to sink and the large number of people in the state that seek a free boat to live on (look on Craigslist to see what Im talking about). But those issues could be handled without punishing the legitimate cruisers and live aboard in the state.
__________________
Enchantress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 10:39   #7
Registered User
 
svfinlandia's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Wherever my boat is
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'
Posts: 250
Re: What is the deal with Titusville Florida and Liveaboards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
"...all Liveaboard in the marina were going to have to leave...Here is a link to the new fee schedule..."

Those two don't appear to compute? The fee schedule notes a $50/person per month surcharge on the dock or a $60/boat per month on a mooring for livaboards, so why offer those rate-options if they aren't allowing you to liveaboard there?
Apparently this is new and they probably haven't changed it on the website yet. I was just there a little over a month ago and the deal then was you could stay on your boat for eight days out of the month without paying a live aboard fee. Any longer than eight days there was a live aboard fee.
The state of Florida is getting generally very boat unfriendly especially cruiser unfriendly, with proposed legislation that would nearly ban all anchoring in the state.

Al, S/V Finlandia
__________________
quo fata ferunt
svfinlandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 10:46   #8
Registered User
 
Russ's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Montpelier,VT
Boat: Brewer 44' Steel
Posts: 151
Re: What is the deal with Titusville Florida and Liveaboards?

The Garbone

Please clarify is the non Liveaboard thing ONLY regarding the moorings and does NOT apply to the docks themselves. Having similar stuff here in Melbourne. The fee schedule/charge re liveaboards is ONLY under mooring for liveaboard charges. Considering the things supplied, restroom, garbage pumpout at docks they don't actually say that you cannot liveaboad. Please clarify .
Russ
__________________
Russ
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 10:49   #9
Registered User
 
svfinlandia's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Wherever my boat is
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'
Posts: 250
Re: What is the deal with Titusville Florida and Liveaboards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
The Garbone

Please clarify is the non Liveaboard thing ONLY regarding the moorings and does NOT apply to the docks themselves. Having similar stuff here in Melbourne. The fee schedule/charge re liveaboards is ONLY under mooring for liveaboard charges. Considering the things supplied, restroom, garbage pumpout at docks they don't actually say that you cannot liveaboad. Please clarify .
Russ
When I was there, as I understood it the live aboard fee applied to both mornings and dockage.

Al
__________________
quo fata ferunt
svfinlandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 11:19   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Florida
Boat: Pearson 303 30'3"
Posts: 37
Re: What is the deal with Titusville Florida and Liveaboards?

We have a slip there and can confirm it applies to both moorings and slips.

The rule is that if you stay on board for 5 consecutive days or 10 days total in a month, then that month is considered a "live aboard" month. You can have no more than 6 live aboard months in a 12 month period.

This verbiage is straight from the DEP contract. Actual Florida statute has a less restrictive definition for live aboards, but this is the verbiage that DEP wants to enforce.
__________________
Enchantress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 12:03   #11
Senior Cruiser
 
zengirl's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Florida
Boat: 1985 Freedom Mach1 32'
Posts: 292
Re: What is the deal with Titusville Florida and Liveaboards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchantress View Post
We have a slip there and can confirm it applies to both moorings and slips.

The rule is that if you stay on board for 5 consecutive days or 10 days total in a month, then that month is considered a "live aboard" month. You can have no more than 6 live aboard months in a 12 month period.

This verbiage is straight from the DEP contract. Actual Florida statute has a less restrictive definition for live aboards, but this is the verbiage that DEP wants to enforce.
Do you think the snow bird factor has anything to do with it? I know I couldn't live in Fl in the summer! I would think 6 months would be an ok rule. I don't like Fl period,
__________________
"I'm an idealist. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way." Carl Sandberg
zengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 12:05   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Florida
Boat: Pearson 303 30'3"
Posts: 37
Re: What is the deal with Titusville Florida and Liveaboards?

Not sure what the city is thinking -- I know we weren't full this past winter, so I doubt they needed the spots for snow birds.

As for DEP, I think they would prefer if all boaters stopped boating in Florida.
__________________
Enchantress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 18:10   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: West Coast FLA
Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch
Posts: 451
Re: What is the deal with Titusville Florida and Liveaboards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchantress View Post
The rule is that you cannot live aboard more than 6 months out of 12. This is driven by language in the submerged land lease that the City signed with Florida Dept. of Environmental Protection who manages 99% of the shore line of the state.

Apparently DEP has this language in a lot of existing leases and in most new ones.

The City is just now deciding to enforce the restriction after several years -- no reasonable explanation given as to why. Many marinas in Florida apparently ignore this and look the other way. We're not sure why Titusville has decided that the city is in such great shape that they can drive customers away.

For some bizarre reason the state has decided (or some small minds in DEP and DNR have) to be hostile to boaters. This has been going on for some time.

There are some legitimate reasons, like the number of boats just dumped here to sink and the large number of people in the state that seek a free boat to live on (look on Craigslist to see what Im talking about). But those issues could be handled without punishing the legitimate cruisers and live aboard in the state.
they don't want to earn the excessive amount of tax dollars that pay their salaries. it's easier to screw everyone this way than to enforce the laws that already exist, to cleanup the anchorages. why spend money on manpower when you can just give yourself a raise?

power corrupts
__________________
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 19:56   #14
Registered User
 
catshopper's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: cruising
Boat: 1979 islander 32 tall rig
Posts: 29
Re: What is the deal with Titusville Florida and Liveaboards?

I am a retired senior and "full time cruiser". Not a liveaboard.

I was planning to leave Alabama this Nov. to cruise east and spend most of the winter in Florida and maybe Bahamas if i get past the keys.

Now i am becoming afraid to. There are at least 4 groups of water officers that can have it in for me. City, County, state and coast guard. 5 counting DNR.

All i need is one wild one on a tear to ruin my life.

So. Iam wondering if it is possible to start a thread listing the "safe and welcoming places" and a seperate one listing hostile places to boaters. Including the names of the officers involved.

If we know where NOT to go, we can maybe enjoy our retirement. I was even considering registering my sailboat in Florida but now????

Waddyathink?
__________________
catshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 23:42   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: West Coast FLA
Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch
Posts: 451
Re: What is the deal with Titusville Florida and Liveaboards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by catshopper View Post
I am a retired senior and "full time cruiser". Not a liveaboard.

I was planning to leave Alabama this Nov. to cruise east and spend most of the winter in Florida and maybe Bahamas if i get past the keys.

Now i am becoming afraid to. There are at least 4 groups of water officers that can have it in for me. City, County, state and coast guard. 5 counting DNR.

All i need is one wild one on a tear to ruin my life.

So. Iam wondering if it is possible to start a thread listing the "safe and welcoming places" and a seperate one listing hostile places to boaters. Including the names of the officers involved.

If we know where NOT to go, we can maybe enjoy our retirement. I was even considering registering my sailboat in Florida but now????

Waddyathink?
Altho I've only been back on the water for a few years, after a couple years on the hill for my wife's last years. I had cruised then and cruise now. I live full time on my boat, but not full time in "a" port. I have seen many boaters that go to a port...for instance Marathon Fl.....and sit on a mooring ball or dock for 5 or 6 months and yah they get harassed by the state revenuers. I cruise, meaning going from one place to another, visiting and meeting people along the way. I don't get harassed. When I go to other countries I pay the visas and go exploring. I see people come in and sit at one dock or anchorage in one harbor and end up paying more. I don't know truly what it is, that causes that. I make friends where ever I go and try to contribute to the people there. There are some foreign ports I don't want to go to, as they are no different, than say, Miami or Galveston or many other westernized cities. Might as well stay on the hill here and give up the boat. I go to different places to see and learn the different cultures of those places. I won't see that where the cruise ships docks. It'll be different,than another city, but Galveston is different, than Marathon. Tourist traps are the same allover the world. The true wonder and color of a place is outside the city limits, where the real people live, those who haven't been turned into the corporate drone. Yah, ya hear of the ones that got robbed and killed, out there. But America still has one of the highest murder rates in the world.
Life in a tin can is boring! I'd rather live one year FREE than ten in the self imposed tin can.
Did you work all those years in the ruts for that retirement package, just to sit in a rut. Or to be able to explore freedom. If you do nothing for fear of failure. Than failure is all you'll get.

PEACE LUV & HAPPINESS
__________________

__________________
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
florida, liveaboard

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: Sailrite LS-1 Ultrafeed sewing machine. FL Titusville Cathrn Classifieds Archive 2 19-12-2013 21:11
For Sale: 1974 Catalin 27- Titusville, Florida The Garbone Classifieds Archive 2 03-12-2013 07:46
For Sale: Avon Redstart Inflatable in Titusville, FL RexR Classifieds Archive 2 06-08-2011 10:21
Learning to Sail in Titusville, FL kruton Commercial Posts 3 23-04-2011 09:43
Need New Bimina - Titusville rleslie Construction, Maintenance & Refit 3 16-11-2007 18:43



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:35.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.