Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2016, 07:01   #151

Boat: Scout 30
Re: What is the cheapest to maintain sub 30 feet powerboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxHome View Post
Of course I am but I also have to think of practical limits. We do want a head, containers for sanitation + containers for water, extra fuel etc. Catalinas are a perfect fit as far as I can see right now.

If it was on land, and the systems were in place, I would gladly live in a 20 feet like apartment There are ways to fit beds into walls and have extra storage within the bed too. I've followed Tiny House communities for a while now so if done well I wouldn't refuse, but I would naturally prefer a boat.
It's a little early to get fixated on one brand, especially Catalina. Catalina's are OK but there are a lot of great boats out there & a lot of them are of better quality. This isn't meant to start a war with Catalina owners but it's a buyer's market & with used boats quality & condition rule. You need to get out there & look at a lot of boats & see what you like & what you can get that's within your budget. You might be surprised. Once again I invite you to check out Steady Hand's thread on boats under $30,000. And don't be in a hurry. There's a lot to learn but it's well worth the time & effort.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 07:13   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
It's a little early to get fixated on one brand, especially Catalina. Catalina's are OK but there are a lot of great boats out there & a lot of them are of better quality. This isn't meant to start a war with Catalina owners but it's a buyer's market & with used boats quality & condition rule. You need to get out there & look at a lot of boats & see what you like & what you can get that's within your budget. You might be surprised. Once again I invite you to check out Steady Hand's thread on boats under $30,000. And don't be in a hurry. There's a lot to learn but it's well worth the time & effort.
Definitely not in a hurry. Time was this probably won't happen faster than 6-12 months from now. I'm gathering as much info as possible, will go for some cruising lessons and maybe visit some models while in Asia.

For the Catalinas, both me and my wife love the exterior/interior for now and I'd imagine that if something goes wrong, there would be many people experienced with the specific model, since there's so many of them.

We are open to see different models though and might get attached on something different. Will check out the thread thanks!
BoxHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 07:20   #153
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

There is better, there is always better no matter what boat.
But I think you could do far worse than a Catalina myself, but condition trumps everything, do not buy a project, but something that you think is in perfect condition, it won't be, but likely what needs doing re minor items, just do not buy a boat with wet decks or something thinking you will fix it.
There are so many good 30ish boats for sale you wont be able to look at even a small percentage of them, and I would take a range of sizes, say 28' to 35' and look, many boats make much better use of space than others, one reason I got an Island Packet was their efficient use of space.

Trust me, the tiny house community could and I believe has learned a lot from the Marine world, tiny living on the water has been a way of life for far longer than any of us has been alive.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 07:45   #154

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
There is better, there is always better no matter what boat.
But I think you could do far worse than a Catalina myself, but condition trumps everything, do not buy a project, but something that you think is in perfect condition, it won't be, but likely what needs doing re minor items, just do not buy a boat with wet decks or something thinking you will fix it.
There are so many good 30ish boats for sale you wont be able to look at even a small percentage of them, and I would take a range of sizes, say 28' to 35' and look, many boats make much better use of space than others, one reason I got an Island Packet was their efficient use of space.

Trust me, the tiny house community could and I believe has learned a lot from the Marine world, tiny living on the water has been a way of life for far longer than any of us has been alive.
Coincidentally Island Packet is an example of not just a better quality boat but a line of boats that have more interior volume or living space than most boats for a given length. This is due to their more plumb bows & sterns as well as their beam carried forward. The IP 31 for example has more room than most 34 footers. Here's one I just found on Craigslist. While this is listed much lower than most I've seen it just shows that you never what's out there. If you can get into an Island Packet or a Pacific Seacraft for just a little more than a Catalina you would be doing well but as a64Pilot wisely stated, condition is key.
https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/col...828204652.html
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 08:41   #155

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxHome View Post
Definitely not in a hurry. Time was this probably won't happen faster than 6-12 months from now. I'm gathering as much info as possible, will go for some cruising lessons and maybe visit some models while in Asia.

For the Catalinas, both me and my wife love the exterior/interior for now and I'd imagine that if something goes wrong, there would be many people experienced with the specific model, since there's so many of them.

We are open to see different models though and might get attached on something different. Will check out the thread thanks!
I would have to agree with don't get fixated on Catalina. If you can dig up the scantlings of some of the older glass hulls it might be worth checking. JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap