Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2013, 14:21   #16

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter
Re: What is it? Cruising and Liveaboard Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
marbles....2 full bags plus some additional.

i have been on board since 1990- never lost a one....
Zee, most of us are not sure if you have not lost ALL your marbles sometimes. At other times we are quite sure you have at least lost SOME of them. At least your are in parrradice and are on your way to getting Perky up and going again and with clean fuel tanks.
brutb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 14:33   #17

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
We had 2 blokarts on board and then downsized. Just 1 blokart these days...

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 14:52   #18

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Our Indio Picaro is pretty useless but has always been on the boat since we left Chile.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 07:03   #19

Boat: DUFOUR 12000 CT - 45' - SANS SOUCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimea Cruiser View Post
Precluding family photos, pets and...well...family! What is the one item, trinket, knick-nack, object you brought aboard as a keepsake or such. Something that really has no sailing or safety function onboard?
Glass balls from Bikini Atoll.
sanssouci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 07:32   #20
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Precluding family photos, pets and...well...family! What is the one item, trinket, knick-nack, object you brought aboard as a keepsake or such. Something that really has no sailing or safety function onboard?
I used to make pottery, and I have one small piece I made and like very much. It serves no useful purpose except to make me smile.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 08:20   #21
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

bbrut--of course i hve lost all my marbles--why do you think i had to buy bags of em ....replacement parts--lol--i lost mine whil ei as still working and relaxing at sports car events, working on the hot track...rodlmao
btw--hot track is not the temperature--it means the cars are on track while racing as hard as they can race......lol....

and i answered wrong--bubba told me i have to say he owns this boat and allows me to steer it for his royal feline fuzzy but..

oh yes--parts for engine repair will be picked up from repair shop as soon a si can find the money to cover it---coming slowly, as payday isnt for 3 weeks yet--so in 3 weeks i should be up and hopefully running.....thank gods some things arent as pricey here as they are in usa.....am loving this so far...we did the break down in the right place, seems....not too much gringo influence on pricing, as in san carlos or guaymas, la paz, and mazatlan and la cruz......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 08:44   #22

Two handmade lace doilies (handmade by me in my pre-boating days). They don't take up much room, and it's fun to spread them out on the table or engine-box. Why? Because they're utterly useless and cover a surface that would otherwise get stuff piled on it. They force me to stay organized.....keep clear surfaces........and remind me that things take time to make or get done.....but it does happen......eventually......
SailPenelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 09:07   #23
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

penelope--our boats look great with this doily stuff and good old fashioned stuff.....we have awesome looking boats which sail exactly as designed to sail.......i love mine--awesome addition --mebbe i will get momma to make me some of those....if she would ever sit down and act old, that is......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 10:26   #24

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

Quote:
Once you're living aboard you'll see the ridiculousness of the question in that there is no way it will ever be one item ... this is my home and I have everything aboard her as I'd have if ashore, albeit in smaller quantities.

Maybe a Christmas tree and a box of ornaments qualifies as "no sailing or safety function" but it sure does brighten the anchorage when lit during the Christmas season.

Or the pink plastic flamingo that points to the fuel tank I'm using that day?
Or the ceramic-resin pelican the Kidlets gave me?
Lace curtains? But they filter the bright sunlight, let air flow thru and mostly keep out the mosquitoes so perhaps that qualifies as boat gear?
Crafting items (stitchery, painting, et al)
Solitaire games (cards, etc.)
An am/fm radio that has a USB outlet for my flash drives filled with music I like?
Magnets on the reefer with art work from boat visitors?

You see, Crimea, when a boat is a home it contains items that bring pleasure to the owner. That might mean (for me) using nice silver, drinking from real glasses, having a 100 year old Austrian bowl as the planter for a bonsai tree, using a spice jar from our boat (at least 20+ years old) to hold fresh flowers or pretty weeds as the case may be, or the collection of DVDs...

If your boat only holds essential boat stuffs, I rather think you're too focused on speed and racing and perhaps might enjoy the journey to a greater degree if you allowed more decadence into your life. Enjoy -- if you're on the water, aren't you already where you wanted to be?
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 10:44   #25

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanssouci View Post
Glass balls from Bikini Atoll.
Just curious: when were you at Bikini? Cruising? Diving? or what...

I spent a lot of time there before retiring to go cruising, and have often wanted to re-cross the equator and sail to Micronesia for a revisit. It was a magic place to work in the 70's and 80's.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 24-08-2013, 10:47   #26

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I think the worst (best?) artifact added to Insatiable since we left is about 10 lbs of really stunning fossils that we picked up in New Caledonia. They are totally unsuited for life on a performance cruiser, but I can't bear to chuck them!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 24-08-2013, 10:49   #27
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I think the worst (best?) artifact added to Insatiable since we left is about 10 lbs of really stunning fossils that we picked up in New Caledonia. They are totally unsuited for life on a performance cruiser, but I can't bear to chuck them!

Cheers,

Jim

Ooooh -- if you decide to chuck them, chuck them my way! I'll use them to test my lee cloths for the shelves.
Old 24-08-2013, 11:45   #28

Boat: DUFOUR 12000 CT - 45' - SANS SOUCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Just curious: when were you at Bikini? Cruising? Diving? or what...

I spent a lot of time there before retiring to go cruising, and have often wanted to re-cross the equator and sail to Micronesia for a revisit. It was a magic place to work in the 70's and 80's.

Cheers,

Jim
1971 - Was there aboard a blue 40 sloop called YOHOHO. (Norman and Elaine), cruising and with construction management contract USTT. We stayed about 3 months, got our fill of plutonium 235 and glass balls.
sanssouci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 12:05   #29
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanssouci View Post
1971 - Was there aboard a blue 40 sloop called YOHOHO. (Norman and Elaine), cruising and with construction management contract USTT. We stayed about 3 months, got our fill of plutonium 235 and glass balls.

Were these glass balls formed by the nuclear testing? Do you have pictures of them?
Old 24-08-2013, 12:10   #30

Boat: Gemini 105M 34
Send a message via Yahoo to captainstubbie
A bible. Maybe that's a safety item?

Tags
cruising, liveaboard