Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2015, 07:46   #1

What Don't You Like About Living On A Boat?

There's been lots written about how great living aboard is but for the sake of this thread. No need to include that here. This is about the bad and the ugly.

But this thread isn't about trashing being a liveaboard, only talking about those things you wish were different, things you don't like or things you really hate about life on a boat compared to life on land.

Hopefully the information provided by those who reply will enable those of us seriously considering following the dream to have our heads firmly planted inside reality when, and if, we make the decision to join the fleet. Thank you.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:26   #2

Boat: 52' Crealock Farrington staysail schooner
Re: What Don't You Like About Living On A Boat?

I think all that we really missed was having a garden. Just a little salt spray is like monsantos best ,or worst on the carefully nurtured pots of basil and parsley and cat grass. Conversely our time ashore is filled with boat dreams and the anticipation of new adventures and anchorages
barnaclejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:02   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

There are times when I really wish I had a bigger kitchen and pantry. I love to cook and used to have a gourmet kitchen. As a live aboard you adapt to what you have and tailor your cooking to a degree based on that, but there are times when I miss that kitchen.

Winter and snow as a live aboard has its distinct challenges that get tiring and irksome. Not a problem if you stay where it's warm.

On rare occasion the relative lack of storage has me grumbling, but that is pretty infrequent as I'm not generally all that acquisitive. People ask me what I need for my boat and I tell them "A dumpster."

Regarding life away from the dock, there are some times when dealing with or minding environmental conditions both inside and outside the boat becomes a chore. It's either heat, or humidity, wind, or something. In a house you don't really think about it. On a boat, you have to always be thinking about it. Every once in awhile it's nice to just not have to.

You know I can't really think of anything that I "don't like" about living aboard. You adapt, and if you're the adaptable sort then that's OK and even at times enjoyable. Yes, some things are much more logistically time consuming that were never an issue before, like water, storage, etc. but then again, I don't have to rake leaves anymore and that in itself makes it all worthwhile.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:05   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Being trapped inside due to to 5 days of constant rain. The words cabin fever come to mind after day 2. But really, I much better now.....

Trying to sleep with the wind blowing 40-50 knots with a wee bit of fetch. Look I'm flying.... weeeee.

Winter condensation/mold, is a truly lovely experience. Then there is the term "boat breath" for that "odor" that permeates some boats, including clothing and everything else. But after a while, you'll not notice it at all.

Lastly head stoppages and no I'm not talking about a bad cold either. Truly a delight, not to be missed. But deluted muriatic acid kills the bcteria and the smell quickly. Lovely smell.... NOT.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:10   #5

Being stuck on the boat in a storm, on a mooring or at anchor for longer than just part of a day! Strange, but I don't feel the same when hove-to offshore. Guess it's 'cause I can't go ashore anyway...

Otherwise, the other things that bother me occur whether I was living aboard or not.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:27   #6

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Lastly head stoppages and no I'm not talking about a bad cold either. Truly a delight, not to be missed. But deluted muriatic acid kills the bcteria and the smell quickly. Lovely smell.... NOT.
Yeah I forgot about that. :P

Relatedly are those repairs that you have to do right now because not doing so would be A Bad Thing, and doing repairs that require outsize amounts of Macgyvering and/or painful contortions of your body. Houses are such simple creatures compared to boats.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:34   #7

Boat: 1972 Gulfstar 36' Motorsailer

Nothing really comes to mind...yet!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Jeraden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:38   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Yeah I forgot about that. :P

Relatedly are those repairs that you have to do right now because not doing so would be A Bad Thing, and doing repairs that require outsize amounts of Macgyvering and/or painful contortions of your body..
Painful contortions, also called "Boat Yoga". Sideways reaching spanner comes to mind....
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:40   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Yeah I forgot about that.
So did I. Selective memory, I guess.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:45   #10

Boat: Outbound 44

Miss having a dog.
Really don't mind the constant maintenance, even fixing things a second time -- but I really dislike fixing the same thing a third time.
Lightening sux.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:56   #11

The two times I did it, once at a marina, and once cruising, both for about a year, the main thing I missed was just having a little space to be able to do things in that I like to do in my back yard. Kind of like apartment living that way.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:03   #12

*The moisture, fungus, mold.... it permeates everything. You get used to it, but you don't realize that others can smell it on your clothes!
*Sore body syndrome from wedging myself into a space and trying to pull resistant hoses off fittings etc! I guess that's "boat yoga"!
*Varnishing.
*Bottom work. I had a couple bad blister boats. It used to cause me sleepless nights at times. I still have a nightmare occasionally...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:08   #13

Boat: Ericson 34

I have a small sailboat (& an even smaller budget) & have internet only when in marinas I wish I could afford an internet connection all the time...
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:37   #14
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Being trapped inside due to to 5 days of constant rain. The words cabin fever come to mind after day 2. But really, I much better now.....

Trying to sleep with the wind blowing 40-50 knots with a wee bit of fetch. Look I'm flying.... weeeee.

Winter condensation/mold, is a truly lovely experience. Then there is the term "boat breath" for that "odor" that permeates some boats, including clothing and everything else. But after a while, you'll not notice it at all.

Ditto, you nailed it. No mold on this boat.... yet, and most likely because we put it on the hard for winters nowadays... but we did experience it on our last boat. Difficult to solve, and the smell is impossible to live with, especially permeated waste hoses.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:44   #15

Boat: C&C Newport 41

I second the size of my galley. Even after a major refit which included a galley redesign die a little every time i return to my vacation house and see the 27' of counter top and professional range and EVERY imaginable pot, pan, and piece of equipment.

The other BIG deal for me is closets as i have an unhealthy obsession with shoes and need to hang the dry cleaning for the pesky job.

-steve
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote