Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2013, 01:56   #106

Boat: Hans Christian 48T
Re: What Does the Name of Your Boat Say About You?

Hi Don

To me the name of the boat is about the boat, not about me.

Brgds!
Old 12-06-2013, 02:58   #107

Boat: Catalina 30

I knew the Chinese/Japanese name she had was not her to me. Perseverance sounded too much like a British warship. I reached into my heritage and found the best name. Think determination, courage, perseverance and brass gonads. Just plain old Finnish style.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:48   #108

Let's not take Karma to literally. I meant it more in reference to old sea lore.

Regarding making the boat yours by renaming it - a proper parallell could be to rename your spouse as to make him/her an extension of yourself. Not anything to be taken lightly. Even the convention that the lady takes the family name of her husband is not universal everywhere any longer. Sorry for the digression. For me, a ship, even with modern materials and equipment, can still be temperamental with an apparent mind of her own - a personality in short. It definitely makes boating more lively, and I would not have it any other way or it's time to lay up. An other thought that crosses my mind is that the idea with the boat as an extension of a certain part of your body has some positive correlation with the speed of the vessel. Same thing as with a muscular sports car, if you get my meaning.
akkebeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:25   #109
CLOD

Boat: none

I don't consider the naming of my boat to be related to my wife.

And the only thing the naming of a boat has to the naming of a new dog is that neither will listen.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:47   #110

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

Nothing. I didn't change or choose either of them.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:06   #111
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What does the name of your boat say about you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
"I worry about you".....
How dya think I feel...
I gotta live with me..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:29   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post

Bad karma comes from acting badly instead of making a better choice. In fact it's just that you reap what you sow. Go through life acting like a slimeballs, and you'll end up hanging out with slimeballs, being treated like a slimeball, wondering why you're surrounded by jerks.

The universe does not care if you change the name of your boat. If you give it a name like "Your Boat Sucks" you'll be prone to draw idiots to you, but it isn't karma's fault.
Well - rather than disproving Karma, you just devised a neat definition of Karma. <nudge>
akkebeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:38   #113

Boat: Ohlson 38
Re: What does the name of your boat say about you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
How dya think I feel...
I gotta live with me..
Hahahaaa! Cracked me up, boatman!
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:43   #114
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
That I'm a Tolkienite

Aldarion was the Heir to the King of Númenor. He was a great captain and adventurer, to the dismay of his father, who wished his son to spend his youth on the island he would one day rule. Aldarion, though, felt the call of the sea, and he built himself a vast ship, larger than any that had been seen at that time. He called it PALARRAN, an Elvish name meaning 'Far-Wanderer', and in it he journeyed the Great Sea to Middle-Earth.

JRR Tolkien, The Silmarillion

We have crew shirts with the flag of Gondor on them and the Tolkien quote "Not all who wander are lost" on the back. I also had a Gondor flag made.
I have often wondered if anyone else had read the Silmarillion!! Difficult keeping track of all of those folks that are related,and all in the name of historical fiction...must have been pretty boring in those trenches..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:46   #115
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwoods View Post
We wanted a 1 word name, nothing with a pun or some other play on words that would make it difficult to write down (like Blew Bye) or immediately understand (as in mayday, mayday, this is Naughti Kat) and we didn't want anything with "wind" or its variants in it since it seems so many do that.

Our last name is Wood and my oldest son came up with "Driftwood". It just seemed to fit.
Thats a good one..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:47   #116
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.G View Post
Understand that your boat name becomes your last name.

e.g., Dennis and Sherie of Ahmeek
Indeed. This can become amusing when the name is adjectival. You become the ____________ crew, as in "the Defiant crew."
Old 12-06-2013, 08:26   #117
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkebeng View Post
Let's not take Karma to literally. I meant it more in reference to old sea lore.

Regarding making the boat yours by renaming it - a proper parallell could be to rename your spouse as to make him/her an extension of yourself. Not anything to be taken lightly. Even the convention that the lady takes the family name of her husband is not universal everywhere any longer. Sorry for the digression. For me, a ship, even with modern materials and equipment, can still be temperamental with an apparent mind of her own - a personality in short. It definitely makes boating more lively, and I would not have it any other way or it's time to lay up. An other thought that crosses my mind is that the idea with the boat as an extension of a certain part of your body has some positive correlation with the speed of the vessel. Same thing as with a muscular sports car, if you get my meaning.

I didn't change my name when I got married for the second time. I won't rename my boat lightly, and will have a party afterwards -- great reason for a party -- but I won't try to appease or flatter a nonexistent, ancient Greek/Roman god. I think some sailors cherish these things, as if it makes them special, but it's just weird to me. Just sailing makes you special. Most people never do it. Most people don't get how special it is for it to be just you and your skills making that puppy fly across the water.

I can't figure out what part of a woman's body the boat is like, though.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:32   #118
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkebeng View Post
Well - rather than disproving Karma, you just devised a neat definition of Karma. <nudge>

That's what I think karma is -- what goes around comes around, and not via any special power. Act like a jerk and people will respond in kind. Most people think of karma as some kind of supernatural force, but I don't think the universe has to get involved. Karma is an easy way to describe the phenomenom.

There's an old couple near my marina. Not sure where they live, but you'lsse them walking side by side, each with their own walker. The wife in particular is a real live wire, funny and witty, but they're both delightful to talk to.

About a week ago I was in a local restaurant, sort of like a diner that serves breakfast and lunch but with a really pretty courtyard. I was eating a light breakfast when this couple came in, talked to the owner about baseball. Their sunny nature just improved the day.

When they went up to pay the owner said, "Did you see that fellow right before you? He paid your bill. You owe us nothing."

They're an old couple you might just ignore if you were selfish and stupid, but they made everyone smile and someone did something very nice for them. That wasn't karma, though. Good people bring good things to themselves. It made my day, and the next time something like that happens to me -- I'm going to do what that fellow did.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:34   #119
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
How dya think I feel...
I gotta live with me..

LOL -- we feel your pain!!
Old 12-06-2013, 08:55   #120
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

In the celestial heavens, there is a constellation which depicts a sailing ship (Argo)
"Argo," the constellation pictured as a ship. Its name means "company of travelers." The brightest, or, alpha star is "Canopus, Some other star-names are: "Markab," (returning from afar) "Sephina," (the multitude or abundance). We named our Yacht Sephina as a combination of the star and also a combination of Jen and my middle names joSEPHsabrINA, so it works for us I actually tried a couple of other names first but they were rejected by AMSA or already registered (little wing, dreamtime) We are happy with Sephina, it suits her and us fine.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle