Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 01:00   #46

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: What does the name of your boat say about you?

I always wanted to call my boat Monarch, after the incredible wandering butterfly of the same name. I guess it was how I wanted to see myself.

However, a 17 ton Swanson just doesn't FEEL much like any kind of butterfly, and actually, the name she came with, Manera, is rather nice. I understand it roughly translates from Spanish into "state of being", though if someone knows better I'd appreciate them telling me.

Matt
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:22   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by mausgras View Post
"Mausgras" ....
Anyone know what that means? .... hint, pidgin english from PNG
Soup strainer I guess, although it seems to have well and truly run rampant looking at your avatar

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:40   #48

Boat: Boden Steel Sloop 47ft

Shanti II, meaning peace and tranquility. The name came with the boat and I am contemplating changing it. I shall give it a few more weeks then make my decision. I am not superstitious, but I will have a ceremony if I do (seems like a good excuse for a get together).
Chris68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:57   #49

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

Seaweed, because she grows on ya... and I liked having something nautical but not too prevalent as a boat name. Works for me, and that's what counts.
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:55   #50

WHen I got my boat I had just returned from a trip to India and Nepal. The fellow who got me addicted to sailing had a boat named Diva and I found Shiva represented many of the aspects of my life and sailing that appealed to me and was a short of hommage to my friend's boat's name. I was in fact destroying my savings and aspects of my life and turning them into a new beginning of sailing.... the cycle of life destruction and creation.

"Shiva is the god of the yogis, self-controlled and celibate, while at the same time a lover of his spouse (shakti). Lord Shiva is the destroyer of the world, following the preserver, after which Brahma again creates the world and so on.

Shiva is responsible for change both in the form of death and destruction and in the positive sense of destroying the ego, the false identification with the form. This also includes the shedding of old habits and attachments.

All that has a beginning by necessity must have an end. In destruction, truly nothing is destroyed but the illusion of individuality. Thus the power of destruction associated with Lord Shiva has great purifying power, both on a more personal level when problems make us see reality more clearly, as on a more universal level.

Destruction opens the path for a new creation of the universe, a new opportunity for the beauty and drama of universal illusion to unfold. As Satyam, Shivam, Sundaram or Truth, Goodness and Beauty, Shiva represents the most essential goodness.

Shiva the art of meditation takes its most absolute form. In meditation, not only mind is stopped, everything is dropped. In deep meditation or samadhi, even the object of the meditation (like a mantra) is transformed into its formless essence, which is the essence of everything and everyone.

Thus Shiva stands for letting go of everything in the world of forms"
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:43   #51
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What does the name of your boat say about you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
WHen I got my boat I had just returned from a trip to India and Nepal. The fellow who got me addicted to sailing had a boat named Diva and I found Shiva represented many of the aspects of my life and sailing that appealed to me and was a short of hommage to my friend's boat's name. I was in fact destroying my savings and aspects of my life and turning them into a new beginning of sailing.... the cycle of life destruction and creation.

"Shiva is the god of the yogis, self-controlled and celibate, while at the same time a lover of his spouse (shakti). Lord Shiva is the destroyer of the world, following the preserver, after which Brahma again creates the world and so on.

Shiva is responsible for change both in the form of death and destruction and in the positive sense of destroying the ego, the false identification with the form. This also includes the shedding of old habits and attachments.

All that has a beginning by necessity must have an end. In destruction, truly nothing is destroyed but the illusion of individuality. Thus the power of destruction associated with Lord Shiva has great purifying power, both on a more personal level when problems make us see reality more clearly, as on a more universal level.

Destruction opens the path for a new creation of the universe, a new opportunity for the beauty and drama of universal illusion to unfold. As Satyam, Shivam, Sundaram or Truth, Goodness and Beauty, Shiva represents the most essential goodness.

Shiva the art of meditation takes its most absolute form. In meditation, not only mind is stopped, everything is dropped. In deep meditation or samadhi, even the object of the meditation (like a mantra) is transformed into its formless essence, which is the essence of everything and everyone.

Thus Shiva stands for letting go of everything in the world of forms"
My favourite boat name comes from the Indian sub-continent as well... and may be used by me again on my next boat... its 'Kali'
Kālī (Sanskrit: काली, IPA: [kɑːliː]), also known as Kālikā (Sanskrit: कालिका), is the Hindu goddess associated with empowerment, shakti. The name Kali comes from kāla, which means black, time, death, lord of death, Shiva. Since Shiva is called Kāla—the eternal time—Kālī, his consort, also means "Time" or "Death" (as in time has come). Hence, Kāli is the Goddess of Time and Change. Although sometimes presented as dark and violent, her earliest incarnation as a figure of annihilator of evil forces still has some influence. Various Shakta Hindu cosmologies, as well as Shākta Tantric beliefs, worship her as the ultimate reality or Brahman. She is also revered as Bhavatārini (literally "redeemer of the universe"). Comparatively recent devotional movements largely conceive Kāli as a benevolent mother goddess.[1]
Kālī is represented as the consort of Lord Shiva, on whose body she is often seen standing. Shiva laid in the path of Kali, whose foot on Shiva subdues her anger. She is the time manifestation of other Hindu goddesses like Durga, Bhadrakali, Sati, Rudrani, Parvati and Chamunda. She is the foremost among the Dasa Mahavidyas, ten fierce Tantric goddesses.[2]

What does this say about me....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:20   #52

Boat: Carter offshore 35

Named for my wife. My mama didn't raise no fool. Whatever you name her make sure you christen her and give Neptune an offering.
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:11   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: What Does the Name of Your Boat Say About You?

"Aythya", as it best describes the characteristics of our boat with the hopeful exception of that diving behavior!
Old 05-06-2013, 05:14   #54

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

Our yacht we are currently buying is called Tylosa. I am informed it might come from Basque (Spanish/French)? Just wondering if anyone can help out with its origin/meaning, if any. We kinda like the name so will most likely keep it.

Anyone have any ideas on the name Tylosa?
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:18   #55
cruiser

Thumbs up Re: What does the name of your boat say about you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
"Ugly Duckling" Because it's not quite a Swan.

Her logo........

i like it
lillypink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:28   #56

Boat: Beneteau 381 38'

Jacob's Ladder. Named after our dog Cardross Jacob's Ladder whom we sadly lost two years ago. His name was chosen based on two things. My father in law who had passed away (Jake) and, to add a nautical twist, a Jacobs Ladder used for rescues at sea.
sailor_andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:36   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
My favourite boat name comes from the Indian sub-continent as well... and may be used by me again on my next boat... its 'Kali'
Kālī (Sanskrit: काली, IPA: [kɑːliː]), also known as Kālikā (Sanskrit: कालिका), is the Hindu goddess associated with empowerment, shakti. The name Kali comes from kāla, which means black, time, death, lord of death, Shiva. Since Shiva is called Kāla—the eternal time—Kālī, his consort, also means "Time" or "Death" (as in time has come). Hence, Kāli is the Goddess of Time and Change. Although sometimes presented as dark and violent, her earliest incarnation as a figure of annihilator of evil forces still has some influence. Various Shakta Hindu cosmologies, as well as Shākta Tantric beliefs, worship her as the ultimate reality or Brahman. She is also revered as Bhavatārini (literally "redeemer of the universe"). Comparatively recent devotional movements largely conceive Kāli as a benevolent mother goddess.[1]
Kālī is represented as the consort of Lord Shiva, on whose body she is often seen standing. Shiva laid in the path of Kali, whose foot on Shiva subdues her anger. She is the time manifestation of other Hindu goddesses like Durga, Bhadrakali, Sati, Rudrani, Parvati and Chamunda. She is the foremost among the Dasa Mahavidyas, ten fierce Tantric goddesses.[2]

"I worry about you".....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:26   #58
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillypink View Post
What does the name of your boat say about you? Do you name it yourself or just keep the name it came with? And if you name it yourself how do you pick a name? Favourite place / dream / person, combined names.

What is the name of your boat and what does it say about you

i would love to hear your thoughts and ideas

I hate the name of my boat. My boat was originally owned by an American of Greek heritage, and he named it "Elysium." That mouthful is Greek for "Paradise." I found that most people don't know what it means. The local bridge tenders heard it so much that they learned to recognize, but how many people are up on ancient Greek religious beliefs? Not that many. I think it is stuffy and pretentious, something "Frasier" and "Niles" would have come up with.

I was making plans to change the name, setting money aside for the expense involved, when I found out there's a movie coming out of that name, so that may make the name more commonplace and understood.

If not, I'm renaming the boat "Nellie," after ... a talking sea otter. I adore sea otters, but my boat is too big to be a sea otter, but there's this trained sea otter in Washington ...

Yeah, it's silly, but people have heard the name "Nellie" before. Yes, Brits, I know that it's a bit of a slur in England. I suppose if I move to England I'll have to rename her again, but I might not.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:31   #59

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

Two heads are better then one?
Old 05-06-2013, 07:38   #60

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

s/y "Eclipse"
I was born during a lunar eclipse. Some say that explains a lot.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle